Windows 7

General discussion

Can't connect 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup

by pab8674 / February 27, 2010 1:56 PM PST

I have 2 computers I am trying to connect together via a Home Group. We can both set up a Home Group, and my computer can see hers to attempt to connect. She cannot see mine at all and only has the choice to make a Home Group.

1. Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop 32 bit running Windows 7 Professional.
Processor: AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2GHz with 4.00GB installed RAM (3.50 GB useable).
My computer
2. eMachine ET180 desktop 64 bit running Windows 7 Professional.
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E 2210@2.20GHz with 3.00GB installed RAM (2.75 useable).
Her computer

Here is what I have done to attempt to correct this problem:
When I try to join her HomeGroup, I get the error, ?Windows cannot set up a HomeGroup on this computer?. (#1, my computer)
1. Run troubleshooter & apply repairs automatically
A. Troubleshoot network connections
I. Troubleshooting could not identify the problem
B. Explore additional options
I. All HomeGroup computers must have the correct time
a. Synched both computers with the internet
This did not fix the problem
b. Run the troubleshooter on the computer that set up the HomeGroup
2. On her computer (#2, her computer)
A. Her sharing options:
Network discovery: On
File & print sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On
Media streaming: On
File share connections: 128-bit encryption
Password protected sharing: On
HomeGroup connections: Allow Windows to manage
B. Run troubleshooter & apply repairs automatically
I. Troubleshoot network connections
a. Troubleshooting could not identify the problem
1. Some problems were fixed
Error message received: ?Windows cannot set up a HomeGroup on this computer?
b. What problems are you encountering?
Some HomeGroups aren?t visible to the HomeGroup computers
My computer isn?t visable to other HomeGroup computers
I can?t share libraries w/the HomeGroup
I can?t install ot print to a HomeGroup computer
C. Chose: Some HomeGroups aren?t visible to the HomeGroup computers
I. Computers turned on?
Leave the HomeGroup and make a new one
II. Troubleshooting has completed
Troubleshooting report on her computer:
Issues found
User identified problems Not fixed
Suggested manual resolutions
Potential issues that were checked
A non-Microsoft firewall is installed on this computer Issue not present
Windows firewall is incorrectly configured Issue not present
The HomeGroup security group is incorrectly configured Issue not present
You are not connected to a homegroup Issue not present
HomeGroup Provider services isn?t running Issue not present
The HomeGroup settings are incorrect Issue not present
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is disabled Issue not present
This computer is connected to multiple networks Issue not present
No networks are set to the Homenetwork location Issue not present
Peer Networking Grouping isn?t running Issue not present
The HomeGroup permissions are incorrect Issue not present
Issues found
? User identified problems Not fixed
Detection details
Collection information
Windows Version: 6.1
Architecture: amd64
HomeGroup
Package version: 1.2

Suggestion: Run troubleshooter on the computer unable to connect to the HomeGroup

1. Run troubleshooter & apply repairs automatically (#1)
Problems found: You are not connected to a HomeGroup Not fixed

Troubleshooting report on my computer:
Issues found
You are not connected to a HomeGroup Not fixed
Connect to a homegroup
Issues found
? You are not connected to a HomeGroup Not fixed
There is no homegroup on the network
Detection details
Collection information
Architecture: x86
HomeGroup

Deleted HomeGroup on #2 and started it on #1.
My sharing options:
Network discovery: On
File & print sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On
Media streaming: On
File share connections: 128-bit encryption
Password protected sharing: On
HomeGroup connections: Allow Windows to manage
1. Troubleshoot network connections
a. Troubleshooting could not identify the problem
1. Some problems were fixed
Suggestion: Run troubleshooter on the computer unable to connect to the HomeGroup

Issues found
User identified problems Not fixed
The HomeGroup security group is incorrectly configured Issue not present
You are not connected to a homegroup Issue not present
Issues found
? User identified problems Not fixed
Detection details
Collection information
Architecture: x86
HomeGroup

Ran troubleshooter on her computer:
1. Run troubleshooter & apply repairs automatically
A. Troubleshoot network connections
I. Troubleshooting could not identify the problem
B. Explore additional options
I. All HomeGroup computers must have the correct time
a. Synched both computers with the internet
b. Run the troubleshooter on the computer that set up the
HomeGroup
Issues found
You are not connected to a HomeGroup Not fixed
Connect to a homegroup
Issues found
? You are not connected to a HomeGroup Not fixed
There is no homegroup on the network
Connect to a homegroup
To create or join a homegroup, open Network Sharing Center in Control Panel, and then click Choose homegropup and sharing options
Detection details
Collection information
Architecture: amd64
HomeGroup

Can ANYONE help me with this issue? I have been trying to fix this problem since December and it has yet to be resolved. I fell like my computers are giving me the run around. I have looked everywhere I can think of to try to find a way to fix this issue and nothing really comes close anywhere.  I might add that we are both connected wirelessly to an HP Home Server and a Brother Color Inkjet-All-In-One with no issues. And both computers have the same WORKGROUP name. I have gone to my documents and selected share with HomeGroup and that changes nothing as far as our computers go. I have tried to select a specific person to share with and get the error message ?Windows was unable to find Tori?. But HomeGroup has read/write permission

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect 2 Windows 7 computers via HomeGroup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A suggestion only
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 28, 2010 4:37 AM PST

then I will have to pass for those with more knowledge.

Read Grif's post in the forum discussion here; Here's how I do it

Now, I know that is about XP and this is Windows 7, but here is what I noticed that 'may be missing' from your attempts.

Are you attempting to network both these machines with the same account, eg same username, same password?

If not, set up identical accounts on the two machines and try again. If that works, it would seem that, once set up, you no longer need identical accounts on each machine.

Things may be different with 2 Win 7 systems, so that's why I only suggest this.

Mark

Collapse -
Try this
by peacox / February 28, 2010 8:44 AM PST

navigate to windows\serviceprofiles\localservice\appdata\roaming\peernetworking
Delete the file idstore.sst, windows recreates this file each time it loads, and you may have to show hidden files to be able to see appdata

Collapse -
A suggestion only and try this
by pab8674 / February 28, 2010 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

MarkFlax and peacox,
I have tried both of your suggestions. My computer can see the homegroup as admin while the homegroup is on my computer, but not the second computer's admin. I signed in on both computers with the same login name and password and gave all priveleges to all users. I deleted idstore.sst on both computers (using the same login name on both) and tried to get them both on the homegroup. My computer can see my home group, but not hers when I change to the homegroup on her computer. Same with hers. Her same log in can see the homegroup, but I can't see it. I ran all the troubleshooters again from both sides and nothing changes other than the 2 login ID's on each computer can detect the homegroup on that particular computer. I appreciate your suggestions immensley, but neither suggestion fixed the problem. Any other ideas? I might interject here that the 62bit desktop cannot run either virtual XP nor run spanish speaking movies as hardware virtualization is not active. Would this make a difference in homegroups?

Collapse -
Recap,
by peacox / February 28, 2010 11:37 AM PST

How are these 2 machines connected together?

Collapse -
How they are hooked together
by pab8674 / February 28, 2010 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Recap,

Recap,
The only connection they have is via my wireless router. The only thing actually hardwired is the server. Both computers, the printer, and the internet connections are all wireless.

Collapse -
just to clear
by electriclott / February 28, 2010 12:21 PM PST

Just to be sure...your 2 computers do have different names correct? Also are the 2 computers running the same wireless frequency eg-802.11g. Not sure if that matters or not. I had some issues as well, but it ended up being my router that was the problem.

Collapse -
Computer names
by pab8674 / February 28, 2010 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: just to clear

I have 2 sets of names on both computers, hers (#2) and mine (#1) as well as admin with the same passowrd on both. We are both connected to the router on the same frequency. I have run the computers both ways, each with different names and both with the same logon and password. Neither way works.

Collapse -
Now I'm confused
by peacox / February 28, 2010 2:03 PM PST
In reply to: Computer names

A computer can have only one name. You can check it by right click on computer and choose properties, 2/3 down it will say computer name etc.
There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with your setup, getting 2 windows 7 systems to coexist on a homegroup takes about 6 mouse clicks, it's not rocket science like getting windows 7 to coexist with xp or vista on a workgroup, so lets get back to basics.
1. Can both your win 7 systems access the internet at the same time?
2. What is the IP address of each of them.?
3. How is the IP address allocated, manually or by the router?

Collapse -
Further to my previous
by peacox / February 28, 2010 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Now I'm confused

while I have been messing about I suddenly lost my connection to the other member of homegroup and could not re-establish the connection, every time I tried to join the home group I was asked for the password and it told me that 'a homegroup could not be set up on this machine' so here is what I did.
On the machine that was still in a homegroup on change homegroup settings I selected 'leave a home group', so that now niether system was part of a homegroup. When this was completed I deleted both idstore.sst and idstore.sst.new on both machines then I restarted both and created a homegroup on one of them. This created a new password which I entered when ask for on the other machine during the 'join now' process and everything worked, I can now share music and videos etc across the connection.
I don't know why it failed but maybe there is a time limit on the validity of the password and it had run out, I shall do some research along those lines but I don't hold much hope, there dosen't seem to be a whole lot of info about it when it fails.

Collapse -
Computer names
by pab8674 / March 1, 2010 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Further to my previous

My computer is Pat-PC, her computer is Tori-PC, both of them have WORKGROUP as the Workgroup. What I was saying about the same name and password was that someone had suggested putting the same name on both computers (login ID) with the same password and try it that way. I did, and that didn't work. In looking to find what the computer names are, I saw that neither computer had file share on. I clicked the advanced option and gave permission to file share. I deleted the idstore.sst and the idstore.sst.new on my computer, it wasn't on hers. I then re-started both computers and tried to have her access my homegroup. She still can't see my homegroup at all, and I can't join hers, so nothing has changed. Yes, we can both get on the internet at the same time. I know what my IP address is, but I'm not sure about hers. Would someone like to give me the steps to check what her IP address is? I would assume that the IP addresses are allocated by the router as I never set up a separate IP address after I initiated my router the first time, and I suspect that they are the same address. And maybe you can tell me how to check the frequency of my router as that was a suggestion as well and I just want to make absolutely SURE I am covering all the bases. I have a Linksys Wireless-G router WRT54GL and a Linksys modem BEFCMU10. I know what SHOULD happen, but it's NOT happening. It took me 3 months to restore my wireless connection to my printer as the Geek Squad screwed up the original deletion of Norton AntiVirus and the installation of Trend MicroVirus.

Collapse -
To check the current IP address
by peacox / March 1, 2010 3:20 PM PST
In reply to: Computer names

on each machine, go to start(the orb) run type in CMD and OK. You should get a command prompt window. Type in ipconfig /all and press enter. A lot of data will be displayed and you will have to scroll up to a point just below your typwritten command to find the relevant info which begins Windows IP Configuration, the line I am interested in is the one that starts IPv4 Address from both systems.
Next go to Network and Sharing Center, next to the little house icon under the word Network it shoud say Home network on both systems.

Collapse -
What the computers say
by pab8674 / March 1, 2010 11:13 PM PST

My computers IPv4 address is 192.168.1.101 (Preferred). Her IPv4 address is 192.168.1.102 (Preferred). Both are set to my home network.

Collapse -
That all looks good
by peacox / March 2, 2010 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: What the computers say

the next thing to check is that IPv6 is enabled on both machines.
Please forgive me if I appear to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs as they say but I have no way of knowing how familiar you are with win 7 architecture.
Go to Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > right click Local Area Connection > properties, check there is a tick in the box next to Internet Protocol Version 6, if not, tick it and then OK.
Clear any remnants of homegroup on both systems, restart both, create homegroup on one, note the password is case sensitive, join on the other and enter password when requested, it should all work.
Fingers crossed.

Collapse -
Frusterated!!
by pab8674 / March 2, 2010 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: That all looks good

IPv6 on both computers was checked already. Deleted idstore.sst and idstore.sst.new on my computer, re-started both and tried the homegroup on mine, and she still could not see my homegroup. Deleted everything on mine again, re-started and made the homegroup on her computer. Now I can't see her homegroup and only have the option to make my own. I will say here that at no time have I EVER deleted idstore.sst and idstore.sst.new off her computer because they are never there. She has the homegroup on her computer right now. It did not have idstore.sst and idstore.sst.new before or after I restarted her computer with the homegroup on her computer. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Last resort
by peacox / March 2, 2010 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Frusterated!!

Go to control panel > administrative tools > double click services.
Scroll down to Homegroup Listener and Homegroup Provider, both these services should be Started in the status column and Manual in Startup Type. I suspect they are correct on your machine and wrong on your wife's. If this dosen't fix it, I shall shoot myself,........only joking.

Collapse -
Start shooting!
by pab8674 / March 2, 2010 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Last resort

Ok, I checked all that. My computer needed to be told to start in listener. Hers had everything you suggested already enabled. The only change was that I could see her computer on the homegroup again, but she still can't see mine. Nor can I join her homegroup. Started the troubleshooters both ways again and still no connection. Since you have told me to delete the idstore.sst and the idstore.sst.new, I have to assume that is important in the grand scheme of things somewhere. My computer is the only computer that EVER has that on it. Wheather she has the homegroup or she tries to join my home group, she NEVER has the idstore.sst or the idstore.sst.new on her computer. BTW, she is my daughter and I am her mother.

Collapse -
Oops, sorry
by peacox / March 2, 2010 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: Start shooting!

for the gender and relationship assumptions.
After much thought, I have come to the conclusion that the absence of the files idstore.sst etc in your daughter's machine is at the root of this failure so I am going to try to find a reason for that.
I have no idea where you are located so I don't know what the time difference is but I am in New Zealand and it is just about 6.00 pm which is my dining hour so I shall come back to this problem later tonight, I have decided not to shoot myself just yet.

Collapse -
Update to this issue
by pab8674 / August 6, 2010 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Frusterated!!

I finally got enough money together to go out and get a long enough erthernet cable to directly wire my daughters computer to the router. Same issues though. She cannot see my homegroup at all, but at least now, I can JOIN her HomeGroup. However. Despite both computers being on, connected to a HomeGroup (the same one), and the direct wire, we still cannot see each other on the HomeGroup. All troubleshooters come up with the same responses we have had for this issue since the beginning. Thanks for all your help though. I belive I had to use her computer as the base HomeGroup as hers was the 64bit computer, but between the type of computer it is, and the fact that 1 is a 64-bit computer and the other is a 32-bit computer might be the basis for the problem.

Collapse -
Time difference
by pab8674 / March 2, 2010 1:20 PM PST

I am in Las Vegas, Nevada. I REALLY appreciate your help. You're right, it isn't rocket science so it SHOULD only take 6 or so clicks to make it happen. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I never bought a gateway computer because they have so many glitches crop up and the only way to fix them is to call the help desk at $2.98 a minute. Unfortunately, I did not know that an eMachine was a gateway product when I bought the computer. As I said in an earlier post, her virtual hardware is not working properly either. Not sure I want to get it fixed at the price they charge if this problem is any indication of how long it will take to fix. We are going on 3 months now. I can just imagine THAT bill! LOL!

Collapse -
Another quick question
by peacox / March 2, 2010 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: Time difference

beforeyou retire for the night, these services, Peer Name Resolution, Peer Networking Grouping and Peer Networking Identity Manager should all be started and manual.

Collapse -
Any other suggestions?
by pab8674 / March 2, 2010 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Another quick question

Nope they are all started and manual on both computers. I'm beginning to think we have apples and oranges here.

Collapse -
Thats disappointing
by peacox / March 3, 2010 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Any other suggestions?

I don't know about apples and oranges more like an orange and a lemon.
Tell me more about this emachine/gateway, these are terms I'm not familiar with.
My next suggestion is a bit of a tedious exercise, could you compare the status of all services on the two systems and note/change any that don't match. Make the changes on the machine that has never had the idstore.sst file because I think that file is essential. I have had a look at it's contents and it certainly relates to Peer Networking and HomeGroup but there is very little other info about it.
My responces may be a bit slow today because I have to be away from my system from time to time but I will keep you in mind and do some more research, I'm determined that one of us will find the answer.
One other question, when you create a homegroup on one machine or the other do you always get a network password to use on the other machine or does that only happen on your system

Collapse -
Slowly but surely...
by pab8674 / March 3, 2010 11:50 PM PST
In reply to: Thats disappointing

To answer what I can right now. When I make a homegroup, no matter what computer it is, there is ALWAYS a password generated. It is just NEVER stored on hers. I am slowly working my way through the configs. Life is intruding at the moment and is slowing the process down. I will be able to get more time Friday after work to really have time to sit and just compare everything. As for the Gateway thing, google it. Some like it, some not. The main drawback is that for any hardware you buy for it HAS to come from Gateway, there are no after market sources for their product, and the customer service sucks. While they acknowledge that they are responsible for maintaining the hardwaer, you can't just email customer support to get the problem fixed. You have to call their technical support line and that costs $2.98 a minute even if the problem was theirs' and the computer is still in warranty. I don't know any geeks that work on Gateway computers. Most of them tell me to just cut my losses and get a better computer.

Collapse -
I've been doing some thinking
by peacox / March 4, 2010 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Slowly but surely...

and I shall be doing some experiments today (it's Friday 10.00am).
I did some reading on the linksys forum and came across a setting which might have a bearing, its called AP Isolation, it's in Advanced Wireless Settings inside the router and should be disabled or off for best results. I haven't quite worked out what it does but it could be worth checking.
Are you familiar with examining the settings inside the router?
Just in case not, using a pc that is wired to the router, enter into the address bar of your web browser the IP address 192.168.1.1 give it a minute to think and it should request a user name and password which, unless someone has changed them from their default settings, should be username - leave it blank, and password - admin. A linksys window should open, choose wireless on the black menu and advanced wireless settings on the blue menu. The last but one line reads - AP isolation make sure it is off or disabled.
I plan to replace my D-Link router with a spare Linksys WRT54G and see what effect that setting has for my own learning curve, but I also have chores to do so it may be later in the day.
Fingers crossed.

Collapse -
Linksys configuration
by pab8674 / March 4, 2010 7:14 AM PST

I checked the AP Isolation and it is off. So far with what I have compared between computers everything is the same. Will give it the time it deserves later.

Collapse -
The results of my testing
by peacox / March 4, 2010 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: Linksys configuration

are as follows.
Two wirelessly connected windows 7 systems will not see each other via a linksys wireless router and consequently will never establish a Homegroup. When two machines that can see one another are not joined in a homegroup they both display "Ready to create" beside HomeGroup on the Network and Sharing Center. When you create a HomeGroup on one of them the status of the other changes from "Readt to create" to "Available to join" providing that all other conditions are met. If both PCs are wirelessly connected via a Linksys WRT54g version5 this status change does not take place and attempts to join will fail. However if only one is connected by wireless and the other by ethernet cable it will work.

My usual router is a DL-624 and this works flaulessly so my recommendation is either wire your desktop to your router or aquire a different router, maybe a D-Link Dl-624but at least one that can be demonstrated to work.

I have spoken to Linksys but they did not understand the problem, could not offer a specific fix, only a suggestion that upgrading the firmware might fix it, and were only concerned that the internet access was working.

Please let me know which action you take and the results, I will monitor this thread from time to time in case you respond

Collapse -
"Curiouser and curiouser" said Alice.
by peacox / March 6, 2010 6:29 AM PST

Or in this case said I.
Last night I needed to reinstall windows 7 on my Toshiba Laptop which was one of the systems I used in my testing of the homegroup via wirelessly connected systems on a Linksys WRT54G router.
Because I was persuing this question on the Linksys forum I repeated the test and found to my surprise that it now works perfectly. Don't ask me why because at this stage I have no idea but I wanted to get the information out so you did not replace your router unnecessarily.
I only hope you see this info before doing anything costly.

Collapse -
LOL!
by pab8674 / March 6, 2010 12:35 PM PST

Wasn't planning to do anything costly. I was just planning to get a long enough earthernet cable to attach the desktop (hers) to the router. My router is fine and I am used to it. At this point, I really don't want to learn another routers idiosyncrasies nor do I have the money to try that at this point. The 25 ft cable is bad enough at $25. Gee, $1 a foot I just realized that. Sorry to take so long, I am studying for a lab practicle and an A&P lecture test next week. I really appreciate all the help you've given me. I have really been frusterated trying to get this done. I'm sure it's just 1 little thing that needs to be done or undone, but at this point, I don't have a clue as to what that might be.

Collapse -
Thanks for coming back
by peacox / March 6, 2010 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: LOL!

I thought you may have given up.
As I said in my last after a clean reinstall on the Toshiba I was able to get 2 wireless connected windows 7 systems to join a homegroup based on a WRT54G Linksys router. Now I have to workout why it would not work yesterday. I shall spend some time bringing Tosh up to the same status as before as near as I can remember and test again but I dont hold much hope for finding a magic fix.
I can't even suggest which of the 2 systems to reinstall, it was pure coinsidence that I did the Tosh for other reasons. Incidentally my desktop runs 7 Ultimate 64bit and the Tosh runs Home Premium 32bit, so who can tell.
I'll check back in a couple of days to see if there are any developments.
Good luck with exams.

Collapse -
For anyone else that comes across this problem!
by phuked / September 29, 2012 8:11 PM PDT

Hi everyone,

I am well over 2 years late on the original post, but I recently had the same problem. I was actually trying to set up Homegroup on a windows 7 virtual machine via my Macbook Air.

My problem was my Desktop PC had a Local Area Connection, and a Local Area Connection 2. One was my Realtek Controller, and the other was a MS Loopback Adapter. This created a Home network and also a Public network.

For the Homegroup to work, it can only have Home. I simply disabled the MS Loopback Adapter (Local Area 2) and as if by magic Available to join appeared on my Mac.

I just wanted to post this incase anyone landed here, with the same or similar problem as mine, and my apologies if this has already been mentioned above!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.