Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Can't change home page

by msoucy / March 20, 2007 11:38 AM PDT

I'm having trouble changing my home page. When I open the internet options window, and change the home page, and click apply, and OK my changes aren't being saved. They always seem to default back to the MSN home page. What's wrong? Why can't I change my home page? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't change home page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't change home page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
msoucy
by tomron / March 20, 2007 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't change home page

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.......

Have you run any scans?

Which browser,if IE install spybot

If you don't have SPYBOT install it.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.

There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page:
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
If the "Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)" is checked, uncheck it and see if you change your home page.

Tom

Collapse -
more info...
by msoucy / March 22, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: msoucy

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave out important information. I hope this helps.

IE 7.0 with latest updates
Virus scan software: Norton Internet 2006
Spyware scanner: AdWare SE Plus

Did I leave anything out? Is there something specific I need to look for when scanning with Adware?

Collapse -
msoucy
by tomron / March 22, 2007 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: more info...

For starters there are know issues with IE 7.

Did you try spybot and set as in my previous post?

Tom

Collapse -
Homepage Problems
by The Lizard King / October 5, 2007 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: msoucy

I'm having problems, too

my system is: Windows Vista Home Basic, IE7, Nod32 Antivirus and Spybot and Adaware

I visted a site and it became my homepage and when I wanted to change it, it wouldn't let me, it disabled/locked "current user" so I can't change it back. Please help =D

Collapse -
Questions and suggestions...
by John.Wilkinson / October 6, 2007 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Homepage Problems

1.) What website is it? It may be a malicious site, which can be a greater challenge to change because they modify registry keys or come along with malware.

2.) Have you tried the "Use default" option under Internet Options?

3.) Close out of Internet Explorer. Access the registry by typing regedit into the Start menu's search bar, then browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Select the "folder" main, then look for an entry in the right pane names Start Page...double-click to edit it or right-click and delete.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Homepage
by The Lizard King / October 8, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

I can't remember, I restored IE... so it erased my history and whatnot.

all three of the options have been disabled/locked

I did that, but it didn't change my homepage, if all fails do you think I can reinstall IE7? because it came with Vista, so I don't know.

Collapse -
I can't change my homepage w/ Vista O/S
by patrickjcrowley / February 19, 2008 10:55 AM PST

I have two users set up using Vista. I initially change the Kids homepage and it worked. Now when I change my homepage through control panel it keeps changing back. Problem happens w/ both users. On the kids user it chages to the web page that I originally set as the home page. on the admin user it changes to the dell factory default page which I never changed. The system will not let me delete the Start page using regedit either. Additionally when I tried to create a third user it created a user, but I can not log on w/ that user. System is less than 1 month old and has Macafee Enterprise 8.5. Any suggestions????

Collapse -
I have the same problem with IE7
by rforgy / March 30, 2007 9:41 AM PDT

It is not a spybot problem as I run several bot/virus/adware scans a month. This is an IE problem as far as I can tell.

Roy

Collapse -
Can't change home page...ME TOO
by travelon2 / April 14, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

I also am having this problem. I ran a Norton Scan and discovered 2 Trojan Viruses and deleted. I downloaded Spyware Dr. and got rid of the issues it picked up. I also see that I have "Need2Find Bar" in my Program List and can't delete. Any solution?
IE 7.0 with latest updates

Collapse -
travelon2
by tomron / April 14, 2007 3:01 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.