Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Can't change firstname/lastname in account information

by Splashes / July 23, 2009 2:21 PM PDT

I want to change the firstname/lastname in my forum account information, so I click on "Click here to edit your account information." That brings a popup that shows my firstname/lastname, occupation, etc. I edit the firstname/lastname fields, then click "Update". I'm then asked to "Please reauthenticate your account" by entering e-mail address & password. I do so, then I get a message that says my account was successfully updated.

If I immediately check my account info again, it appears the change was made. But if I exit the browser, re-launch, and go to my profile page again, firstname/lastname are back to what they were previously. So the edit didn't "take".

I'm on a Mac, and I've tried this same process using Safari and Firefox, same results every time.

Any thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't change firstname/lastname in account information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't change firstname/lastname in account information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What the heck is going on here?
by Splashes / July 23, 2009 2:24 PM PDT

I'm logged in as "Splashes." That's the name that shows up in the upper-right: "Welcome, Splashes." That is my only login on Cnet. Yet the above post has the username "Sonam_Lotlikar"?

Very impressive.

Collapse -
This is documented...
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2009 2:43 PM PDT

From the forum sticky (

For the past year there has been an ongoing problem with post attribution. Specifically, random members have encountered a bug where posts they have made, both in the past and present, suddenly begin displaying a different member?s username as the post?s author. The member profiles typically still display the correct listing of posts for each user involved, but within the individual threads a level of confusion is caused by the username mismatch.

This issue is well known, and correctable on a case-by case basis. If you encounter such a glitch simply click the ?Report offensive post? link located below one of the affected posts and state that you have encountered this particular glitch. Unfortunately the engineering staff is minimal due to Cnet?s current financial situation so it may take some time (in a few previous cases, months) before your account can be repaired. In the mean time, though, rest assured that your account is still fully functional and has not been compromised, and that once the fix is applied all of your posts previously attributed to another user will once again be attributed to you. Just try to be patient and make the best of your temporary alias.

Collapse -
by Splashes / July 24, 2009 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: This is documented...

What about the original problem I posted, about not being able to update my firstname/lastname?

Collapse -
That one is not well documented...
by John.Wilkinson / July 24, 2009 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

But it may be related to your username attribution issue; I do not believe we've had a member attempt to change his/her account information while experiencing that particular glitch. Hopefully it will be resolved once your username is corrected.

Collapse -
by Splashes / July 25, 2009 10:19 AM PDT

Okay, thanks, I appreciate your input.

Collapse -
Username has been fixed
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 27, 2009 7:41 AM PDT

Hi Splashes,

The username swap has been fixed. Could you try editing your name information in the profile now?

Collapse -
Same problem still exists.
by Splashes / July 28, 2009 10:48 AM PDT

Just as before, via Firefox I edited "Account Information" to change firstname/lastname, got the re-authenticate box, entered my login info, and got the "successfully updated" note.

Next I quit out of Firefox, re-launched, and went into account info again. Firstname/lastname had reverted.

Next I logged out and logged in ("Welcome, Splashes"), and did it all over again. Same result.

Collapse -
Just replicated it...
by John.Wilkinson / July 28, 2009 12:07 PM PDT

It was working during my tests the other day, but failed just now. It appears the Javascript is updating the page but not the server, causing subsequent queries to send back the old information. I am reporting the issue, which may be fixed as soon as Thursday.

Thanks for reporting that.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update!
by Splashes / July 28, 2009 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Just replicated it...

I appreciate your responsiveness.

Collapse -
(NT) I'll have someone look into it
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 29, 2009 2:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
try again?
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 29, 2009 10:24 AM PDT

We have a fix out now that should let you edit your name.

Collapse -
don't try again just yet
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / July 30, 2009 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: try again?

Sorry Splashes, we had to roll that fix back. The team is looking into a better solution. At this time you won't be able to edit your first/last name. Contact me directly through my email link if you want me to make those changes for you.

Collapse -
I sent you an e-mail
by Splashes / July 30, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

If you didn't get get it, let me know here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.