Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't bring laptop out of sleep/hibernation

by lily730 / November 8, 2007 8:32 AM PST

I just bought an Acer Aspire 5920. The computer goes into sleep or hibernation mode (what's the difference?) and I can't get it to wake up. I have to power down and then I get a message that the computer wasn't shut down properly. I then have to restart in safe mode. Very annoying. I've never experienced this before with any computer or operating system.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't bring laptop out of sleep/hibernation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't bring laptop out of sleep/hibernation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just my advice about hibernation mode
by Steven Haninger / November 8, 2007 10:01 AM PST

I just don't use it on desktops or laptops at all. It just causes too many problems and takes up hard disk space. I turn it off. When I'm done, I shut down windows and turn off the system....always. I have a laptop I use for work....a nice IBM that's great. Some of my coworkers complain about startup problems and lockups. When I ask, "What do you do when you're done with it?", the answer is they usually just close the lid and let it go to sleep..hibernate...whatever. The only problem I have with my laptop is when I leave it on for long periods of time without using it. It will slow to a crawl and pause during use. This will probably be due to some memory leak. The cure is just shut down and restart. I know laptops are supposed to have the convenience of quicker startups using hibernate mode but that seems to come with more aggravation. Consider just shutting off when done and not wasting time getting hibernate to work. My three cents.

Collapse -
by v_2vinch / November 8, 2007 2:01 PM PST

hi there,
are you saying that is doesnt come out of hibernation after you move your mouse ? because it normally doesn't . you have to hit the power just once and it should come out of standby/hibernation.

Collapse -
Sleep and hibernation....
by Papa Echo / November 9, 2007 12:21 AM PST

What did you do to bring your computer out of sleep or hibernation ? You need to use the power button to boot your computer to get out of these modes.

?Sleep- computer activity stops, monitor screen goes blank(because it is not receiving signal) and the computer goes into rest. Little power is used. However, the computer is still "ON". You usually send the computer into sleep mode when you want to leave it for a while(a few minutes...), to save the trouble of starting it up again and browsing back to continue working. Your current work is not saved.

?Hibernation - You send the computer to sleep, but here, the computer saves what you have been working on. It then shuts down, and no power is used. When you start up the computer the next time , it " Returns to or resumes Windows, ask you to log in, and then goes back to where it was before hibernation. Hibernation is often used in laptops to preserve work when on battery power...and when you want to shut down in an emerfgency and have no time to back up ypur current work.

Collapse -
Sleep and hibernation
by lily730 / November 9, 2007 3:11 AM PST

I did hit the Power button, but got no response. I then have to power down completely. I called Acer Support but the rep didn't have a clue!

Collapse -
I have 2 Vista Acers here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Sleep and hibernation

One is the 5570-2977 and the other is the 17 inch version (sorry it's in the next room.) Let's compare notes if we have the same model.

On both of ours we ejected Norton and installed Free AVG and Zone Alarm. Sorry, but Norton has been too flaky for me over the years ...

Tell a little more.

Collapse -
Sleep and hibernation
by lily730 / November 9, 2007 6:13 AM PST

I have the Acer Aspire 5920-6470; running Vista Home Premium and Norton.

Collapse -
this will fix your hibernation problem
by intrepidram / November 9, 2007 1:15 PM PST
In reply to: Sleep and hibernation

I just fixed my freinds computer for this very problem, I never want my laptop to ever hibernate and I am sure you dont either,
When you finally get it rebooted, just
put your mouse over a blank spot on your desk top, not an icon,
right click> left click properties> left click screensaver tab once> click the square power button once > left click the hibernate tab, uncheck hibernate click apply and OK
Hibernate is for those who walk away from their computer forgetting they leave it on, Hibernate saves on battery power, to me its a pain in the butt.
good Luck M from san antonio

Collapse -
sleep/hibernation problems
by rondow2 / November 9, 2007 11:59 AM PST

I had a similar problem with my new HP Pavilion Desktop with Vista. After the computer went to sleep, I could not wake it up and, like you, was forced to reboot. No keystrokes or mouse clicks would have any effect on the black screen. Oddly, this coma-like sleep usually occured only on initial boot-up when I did not respond to the group(Administrator) icon within a few minutes. If I did respond right away to the group icon and clicked on my user name, I got the Welcome screen and normal operation. Then, after X amount of disuse, the computer would go into the sleep mode and could be awakened with any key stroke or mouse input. So, the permanent sleep condition seemed to be related to my not clicking the Group User icon in a timely manner during initial boot-up.

I just discovered that if, during this black-out, if I select CTL, ALT, DEL, it awakens the computer and returns me to the Desktop screen and normal operation without having to reboot. I get no error messages asking whether I want to close a failed program nor any warning that a program has stopped functioning. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
No Hibernation in Vista
by prince10bee / November 9, 2007 8:41 PM PST

There basically is no hibernation mode in Windows Vista.

- There is no Hibernate option in the Start Menu
- The computer will enter hibernation mode if power is disconnected during sleep mode (or your battery runs out)
- By default, the three default power plans will never enter hibernation mode after a set time (You can set it to hibernate after a set time under the advanced settings but I wouldn't mess with that)
- I have no laptop expierience with Windows Vista (I own a desktop)

Collapse -
by intrepidram / November 10, 2007 1:16 AM PST

Sorry ,I didn't realize that he was running Vista. I have found absolutely No good reason to switch to Vista yet.

Collapse -
Can't bring laptop out of sleep/hibernation
by lily730 / November 10, 2007 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Hi again,

Since I can't bring the laptop out of sleep/hibernation, I,ve gone ahead and changed settings to "Never." I activated a screen saver which kicks in after a designated time away from the computer. A slight touch on the mouse brings me to the welcome screen and I can resume my previous activity.

This seems to be working so far.

fyi..I have Windows XP Prof on my business laptop and I much prefer XP to Vista.

Thanks for all the responses!

Collapse -
problem wit sleep mode
by aarc86 / September 19, 2008 5:04 AM PDT

i have this problm now... im not sure but since i installed windows vista sp1 from windows update (i bought a laptop hp pavilion) i have that problem. so i have one more reason to not use windows vista Silly
If somebody has the solution please let me know

Collapse -
Sleep mode issues
by scollis06 / October 23, 2008 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: problem wit sleep mode

I'm in the same boat as you aarc86, I installed the sp1 update last night and all day today I could not freakin wake the computer back up. I have to assume it's the service pack, ***? Should I take it into best buy or call up geek squad?

Collapse -
Some machines require updates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2008 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sleep mode issues

But this issue is very troubling when the make and model is unknown. You should call it in and ask if they offer a fix.

I've fixed a few but they all required a trip to the makers web pages for drivers.

Collapse -
Sleep mode issue for my HP
by scollis06 / October 23, 2008 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Sleep mode issues

Hp Pavilion dv2000 series, dv2715 model

Collapse -
My neighbor had that series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

I went to for the drivers and that cured it.

Collapse -
I will give that a shot!
by scollis06 / October 23, 2008 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: PS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.