Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't boot into Normal Mode

by Help_Needed / September 17, 2005 9:52 AM PDT

Hello everyone. For the past day I have been trying to fix a computer problem. It seems that when I start up my computer, it won't boot into the normal mode. It shows the f8 menu screen even when I don't press f8. I can get into safe mode fine, but when I select normal mode, it shows the xp loading screen, and once it is finished loading, it reboots and goes back to the f8 screen. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

And if you need anymore information to solve the problem, please ask!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't boot into Normal Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't boot into Normal Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Normal Mode
by Tufenuf / September 17, 2005 11:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Normal Mode
by Help_Needed / September 17, 2005 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Normal Mode

That didn't work either. Probably because /SAFEBOOT was never checked to begin with...

Thanks though. Anything else that might help?

Collapse -
It is not that....
by Papa Echo / September 17, 2005 1:23 PM PDT

you cannot boot into Normal mode, but that ''The computer always start in Safe Mode''. If you look at it this way, a solutioon can easily be found - see MS kb article no. 306615

Collapse -
by Help_Needed / September 17, 2005 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: It is not that....

That's only applicable for Windows 98...

Thanks anyway. I'll search the site some more and see if they have an XP version.

And if anyone else can give any information whatsoever, please do so.

Collapse -
RE: Unfortunately...
by Help_Needed / September 17, 2005 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Unfortunately...

I wasn't able to find anything on their site so the problem is still unsolved...

Collapse -
OK- try...
by Papa Echo / September 17, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Unfortunately...

Sorry, I misread your question. So, the boot or start menu always appear ? Not exactly the same problem, but see if THIS helps.

Collapse -
RE: OK- try...
by Help_Needed / September 17, 2005 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: OK- try...

The only problem I have is when I open the file in wordpad, nothing shows up. There is no text to edit.

Collapse -
You may not have activated your installation?
by seafox13 / September 17, 2005 2:28 PM PDT

Win XP Pro. will do this if it has not been activated, or is unable to activate, perhaps due to a pirated installation.

Collapse -
RE: You may not have activated your installation?
by Help_Needed / September 17, 2005 2:51 PM PDT

No I just have home edition.

Collapse -
Now its even worse!
by Help_Needed / September 19, 2005 11:31 AM PDT

Someone had suggested I did a repair installation of xp. I did so and followed all the steps but when it asks to reboot, it has to go back into safe mode (the only mode available) and says something like Windows XP cannot install in safe mode. Your computer is now being restarted.

Every time I go into safemode it says this... even when the xp installation disc isn't in the drive.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just reformat the computer?

Collapse -
RE: Now its even worse!
by Help_Needed / September 19, 2005 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Now its even worse!

Sorry. forgive me for double posting but I don't know how to edit.

What I forgot to add was basically now I can't get into standard or safe mode so basically, there is nothing I can do with my computer. (I am typing this from another computer for your information,) Should I reformat?

Collapse -
Better bet.
by Papa Echo / September 19, 2005 2:48 PM PDT

Since you have gone this far, take a step further for a full reinstall. Just boot from the Win XP CD, and let it go through the partitioning (if needed) and reformating and reinstalling. If you need to save your files before that, mothods have been noted at this forum.

Collapse -
RE: Better Bet
by Help_Needed / September 20, 2005 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Better bet.

So Instead of just repair installing I should just do a full installation?

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 20, 2005 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Better Bet

you have tried a repair install and it failed, the machine is too far gone. The logical next step is a full reinstall. If that fails, then it is probably a hardware issue- HD failure ? MOBO gone to the South ?...but get a second, third or fourth opinion before you commit yourself. Good Luck !

Collapse -
RE: Since....
by Help_Needed / September 21, 2005 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Since....

I just did a full reinstall of windows xp and now its working. Just got to reinstall all of my stuff which is backed up on my CDs. Thanks Everyone!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.