PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can't Boot from USB on Gateway

by bobdobob5 / January 24, 2011 2:21 AM PST

I am trying to boot from a USB flash drive on a Gateway E Series. In the BIOS, USB Boot is enabled, but it does not show up as an option in the boot menu, all I have is CD, Hard drive, Network, and Floppy Drive. How can I get the USB to show up as an option? The USB works just fine on other computers. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Boot from USB on Gateway
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Boot from USB on Gateway
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If said USB stick works on other machines
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2011 2:22 AM PST

Then that's a BIOS bug. Only the maker can fix that.

Collapse -
Other computers are the same
by bobdobob5 / January 25, 2011 2:25 AM PST

Thanks for the response, I have more than one of these E Series Gateways and they are all the same. I don't really see how that could be a bug. The USB works fine on other models of Gateways. Any other ideas.

Collapse -
Differences
by Willy / January 25, 2011 4:24 AM PST

Don't compare one Dell model with another, that's why they're different models, all specs aren't the same. If all those E-models are reporting the same result, that suggests either it isn't supported or a bios update is required. the bios may not address the issue as Dell usually doesn't say what a bios update does. But, you should check the current bios level amongst the same Dell model. AND NO, this still not the same bios update on a different other models. It may not be a bug but the E-model doesn't support booting from a USB drive or you need to set it within the bios if applicable. An actual bug maybe involved and only Dell can address that, so check thier support forum or the Dell forum here for further help.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Opps- replace Dell w/Gateway name
by Willy / January 31, 2011 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Differences
Collapse -
Remember this is a series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2011 6:29 AM PST

One model may be fine, the next not. I fear that many consumers would think the models in a series have the exact same behavior and features.

That would be untrue.
Bob

Collapse -
Flash the BIOS
by chamaecyparis / January 28, 2011 12:40 PM PST
Collapse -
Agree with POST 6 ....might check the BIOS
by VAPCMD / January 28, 2011 10:18 PM PST

and update if appropriate.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Found the problem
by bobdobob5 / February 5, 2011 11:56 AM PST

Thanks for all the replies. Fortunately, the BIOS was fine. There was a setting in another part of the BIOS (not under Boot) where I had to set it to emulate the USB as a hard drive. Once this was done it showed up in the boot menu.

Collapse -
Where did you find that
by lmartinezpr / March 25, 2013 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the problem

I just bought a gateway but I am trying too boot from usb and all that the screen does is turn on and off.. help please

Collapse -
Bios
by g2g2g3 / September 9, 2013 5:27 PM PDT

When you select usb emulation as HDD from bios setup then shut down, and power back on the machine, should give you the option to choose usb as boot up device.
also not sure if the usb has to be set up with mbr to be bootable, or makes no difference for win xp?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.