Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Access Control Panel or System Properties :(

by sir.clayton / November 19, 2007 5:52 AM PST

Howdy. I'm positive I have at least one virus on my computer. I can't access my Control Panel (all of a sudden the links to Control Panel disappeared in Windows Explorer) and I tried to access it through the command prompt, but I can't. After I right-click the desktop and select Properties, I it won't open. On every occasion where I try to access things on XP, I get the same message: "Restrictions" ""This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer" After googling this error, I found people only had trouble with it in Internet Explorer.

I'm also very positive that it's something in the registry causing this error. How can I get rid of this? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Access Control Panel or System Properties :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Access Control Panel or System Properties :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
eply to: Can't Access
by caktus / November 19, 2007 2:31 PM PST

Perhaps running System Restore to a date/time prior to when the problem began will undo do it.

Also, if suspect there is malware on the machine have you tried running and anti-virus/spyware scans?

Collapse -
No control panel
by taps1968 / November 20, 2007 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: eply to: Can't Access

I have the same problem< loosing our control panel, I tried all that you have mentioned to do and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
No access to Control Panel / link
by billzhills / November 20, 2007 3:39 AM PST
Virus and Security.

Here you will find information on removal of Pests.

Your system issues indicated massive infestation.

Bill
Collapse -
Do a virus check
by AM-ITgeek / November 20, 2007 12:34 PM PST

First of all ensure, that you system is not infected with virus, do a virus can from a good anti-virus software. And check if there are infections. Then run a malware can on your computer. If scans do not reveal any infections, then there might be some policy issues, which needs to be handled.

Collapse -
Where to find free virus scans
by fjord_fox / November 20, 2007 2:52 PM PST

I agree with both cactus, that you should do a System Restore, and with AM-ITgeek that you should do a virus scan. You should do BOTH.

McAfee has a free virus scan, called FreeScan, at http://us.mcafee.com/root/catalog.asp?catid=free. Trend Micro?s ?House Call? free scan is at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. If these scans don?t work, then try Trend Micro? HijackThis?, which is a FREE cleanup utility that helps you find and fix unwanted computer settings.

If all you have is an anti-virus program on your computer, that is not enough these days. You should invest in a good Internet Security program, and then after you install it, spend some time to turn everything on. (Amazingly enough many of the features are turned off when you install it!) Both of the above companies have excellent Internet Security programs.

Collapse -
I'm getting the same thing
by johninlongmont / December 4, 2007 2:28 AM PST

also the system tray has a "windows antivirus" alert that keeps popping up and you can't remove...the bug also seems to alter your administration privileges so you can't access the control panel or any system modification commands...WHAT IS THIS THING?????

Collapse -
Fixed
by sir.clayton / December 4, 2007 3:34 AM PST

Hey there. Yeah, I finally fixed the virus. First of all, "billzhills" and "AM-ITgeek," it would be ******** not to scan for a virus. I have Spy Sweeper, and it wasn't taking care of the problem. I downloaded Registry Crawler and scanned for "nocontrolpanel" entries, and deleted them. This made the control panel show up, so I created an administrative account to sign into safe mode and used Spy Sweeper to scan and deleted the infected files. It's been a couple weeks since I did this, so I'm sure not all the details are there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.