Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't access certain web sites. WHY?

by RalphDV / October 4, 2006 12:57 PM PDT

(I posted this on the 'Browsers' forum a few days ago but so far not much help has been forthcoming on that forum so I'm posting it here hoping for better results.)

I've had no luck at all in accessing certain sites for the last several days that I usually visit daily. They simply won't load and I know they are still active. For example, is one of the sites and it will not load on either my IE or Firefox browsers as will none of the other sites. The same sites won't load in Firefox or IE. Putting the URL in the address line for these sites gets the same results--nothing. I have a clickable banner to on a web site I maintain. The banner shows current local weather information and can be clicked on for more detailed information. On my site I'm getting the broken link icon for that. Friends tell me they are seeing the banner and are having no trouble getting to the site by clicking on the banner.

The only thing I can think of that is causing this is that I downloaded an ton of IE updates in the last few days but I don't remember if the above problem started immediately after downloading and installing the updates but I did notice the problem within 24 hours even though it could have happened immediately after doing the update downloads. It's a mystery why this would be the problem and even more of a myster why it would keep Firefox or IE from accessing the sites in question.

I've done everything I know to do to fix the problem. I've restored my computer to five different dates, tried earlier versions of Firefox plus the most current version. I've turned off windows firewall, cleared my cache, defraged my drive four times. I tried reinstalling windows xp but the the disc told me the version that is currently on my computer is newer than what is on the disc and wouldn't start the reinstall. I seem to think that for some reason neither browser is converting domain names to ip numbers or vice versa and that that may be the problem or at least part of it but I can't be sure. I'm at a total loss as to what the problem is or how to go about fixing it.

Any suggestions or thoughts? TIA for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't access certain web sites. WHY?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't access certain web sites. WHY?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If It's Only Certain Websites...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

...then it's probably an issue where the site has been blocked in a HOSTS file or such.. I'm having no problems with your posted and link and I also have all current Windows Updates. No problems here on two different XP SP2 computers.

1. First, some things to be sure of... Please click on the link below and follow the instructions to install the most recent Windows Script Engine and java.(Since you haven't listed your operating system in this post, I'm going to assume you're using the same OS as in some of your other posts in these forums.):

Java and Script Engine Installation Instructions

2. After that, if you're using a HOSTS file or antispyware that blocks various websites, then disable them temporarily from running realtime.. (Spybot S&D and a few others have such a "immunization" HOSTS file.)

3. You make no mention of using malware scanners to check for spyware and viruses.. If you haven't already, download, install, update, then run the AVG Antispyware tools from the link below:

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

4. Next, if it's still not fixed, you can try using the WinsockXPFix from the link below to fix some of those connection issues:

In regards to reinstalling/repairing Windows XP, if you currently have Windows XP SP2 installed on your computer and you attempt to use the original Windows XP (no service pack) version of the CD for doing a "repair" install, it won't work correctly. If you want to reinstall XP from that particular CD, you'll need to do a complete reformat and reinstall, then update everything again.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
It could be an ISP problem also.
by Kees Bakker / October 5, 2006 4:38 AM PDT

Read through the first 8 posts of but disregard the complication of the php popping up.

Find another computer where it works and use ping there to find the ip-address.

It's not very likely, but the same goes in my opinion for the things Grif mentioned:
- hosts file (no obvious reason for it to block this site)
- spyware/malware (same)
- damaged java or scripting
- damaged winsock

Are you sure you don't have a popup-blocker, ad-blocker or a product like Norton Internet Security?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
My Two Cents
by jhelms / October 5, 2006 5:42 AM PDT

If it's happening in IE and in Firefox, than it's not an internet explorer issue. My guess is spyware, and by "Spyware", I don't necisarily mean the hidden software on you computer. Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, Google Desktop, Free Dell add-ins, or any other Toolbar can cause an issue such as this, especially if you connect through a static proxy server address.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That makes 6 cents already!
by Kees Bakker / October 5, 2006 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: My Two Cents
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.