Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Download.com Site Feedback

General discussion

Can something be done about this

by TWB404 / May 30, 2012 / 7:51 AM UTC

There has been, as of this writing, 14 new reviews posted today for the ZoneAlarm Firewall and AntiVirus program. Eleven of them are 5 starts and 3 are 4 stars. All of them are from new account created today for posting on the ZoneAlarm page. They are rolling in about one every 2 minutes. It is a clear attempt to manipulate the rating system. Can there be some sort of IP check added to prevent people from doing this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can something be done about this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can something be done about this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How bad is this
by TWB404 / May 30, 2012 / 10:09 AM UTC

As of this writing, 51 reviews have been given for the current version. Of the 51 reviews, 24 have been made today. That is close is half of all reviews for the current version. This is clearly an attempt to manipulate the system. If we use all versions there has been 74 reviews given. That means one third of them were written today.

Collapse -
(NT) Have you reported this?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 30, 2012 / 10:11 AM UTC
Collapse -
Yes
by TWB404 / May 30, 2012 / 10:20 AM UTC

I was just hoping that someone takes notice and can look at ways to preventing this blatant manipulation. I know that most of the reviews are written by the haters or the lovers of a particular program but at times they are useful. I just noticed this today and thought this just went to far for me not to say something.

Collapse -
From what I see.
by KenHusveg / May 30, 2012 / 10:25 AM UTC

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus+Firewall was added, May 10, 2012.
Total downloads: 51,565
Downloads last week: 3,878
Current version: 51 votes

From that small percentage only a few joined in the last few days.

Collapse -
Here is the link
by TWB404 / May 30, 2012 / 10:41 AM UTC
In reply to: From what I see.
http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm-Free-Antivirus-Firewall/3000-18510_4-75708651.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing;pop

As of my last count there has been 24 reviews written today. Twenty one of those reviews are first time reviewers. Of the 21 first time reviews written, 19 of them created the account today. In the end 24 of 51 reviews for the current version were written today. I do not claim to be a mathematician but I did study stats while getting an education. Those numbers clearly indicate that something is amiss.
Collapse -
Here's what I think.
by KenHusveg / May 30, 2012 / 11:15 AM UTC
In reply to: Here is the link

For fun I checked the first two pages of comment. 25% were not new members. The others IMHO were new users to the software/download.com and wished to share their experience. Download.com encourages user reviews. To comment they have to register.

If your a regular user of software or a download site you probably don't comment every time you use it.

Collapse -
The numbers as of this writing
by TWB404 / May 30, 2012 / 2:56 PM UTC
In reply to: Here's what I think.

From May 10 to May 29 there was 27 reviews. On May 30 there are now 31 reviews. In one day there are more reviews then the first 19 days. That is what is known as an anomaly.

Of the 31 reviews today. 20 are new accounts, 7 accounts were created earlier and not posted but today they decide to post a glowing review, 2 do not show when they were created and the rest had posted before.

As I said someone is manipulation the reviews and very blatantly.

Collapse -
I think XKCD noted such an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2012 / 3:52 PM UTC
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions