Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

Can someone help me not be paranoid about email addresses?

by Mr_redglass / October 11, 2011 2:45 PM PDT

At the moment I really want/need to make a new email address ASAP for several reasons.

Mr_redglass has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone help me not be paranoid about email addresses?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone help me not be paranoid about email addresses?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Mr_redglass

Collapse -
Is anyone going to help me?
by Mr_redglass / October 13, 2011 5:06 AM PDT

I guess not then. I've been earnestly waiting for a response to get enough advice that I might feel comfortable to make a new email address to use but so far nothing. I feel I need to get one now but my fears get in the way. I wish someone could help me understand this stuff better but oh well I guess...

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

I think you should try the forum with more traffic like CNET's Computer Help forum.

Collapse -
I'll try that
by Mr_redglass / October 13, 2011 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

Ok I'm going to try doing that I guess then since it doesn't seem like I got much attention here. That forum I seem to get a lot of good advice from anyways so maybe that's where I'll get some for this question of mine too. I guess I'll just copy and paste it there then if that's ok. Thanks for the tip.

Collapse -
Problem not resolved yet actually
by Mr_redglass / October 13, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll try that

Sorry I clicked yes that my problem is resolved but its not really. I'm still open to help here if anyone has anything.

Collapse -
you can encrypt email if you wish
by James Denison / November 22, 2011 1:09 AM PST

Keep clking on "Next Step" for walk through.

In short you give a key to each person you want to read your encrypted emails and they import the key into their program so they can do that. You can send them the key by snail mail on a thumbdrive or CDR. If not too paranoid you can send it out once when you first open a new email account to your friends and then not do so again. Depends on the level of privacy you desire.
Collapse -
Parinoia is justified....
by MauiTech / November 12, 2011 3:27 AM PST

I understand how you feel. I suggest you learn all you can about how email works. We tend to be fearful of things we don't understand. You may want to look into a Yahoo! Plus email account. They allow you to create "disposable" addresses that protect your main address. Might be a better option than creating multiple accounts.
Here's a link to a very good web site to start learning more about how email works.

Good luck!

Collapse -
You need help...
by Jeriko20 / November 16, 2011 5:22 AM PST

They make pills that help with paranoia. No one is out to get you. Try and relax.

Collapse -
Actually people ARE out to get you...
by MauiTech / November 16, 2011 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: You need help...

I would have to disagree. There are lots of people who are "out to get you". They want to steal your identity, credit card numbers, etc. They want to use your email address to send illegal SPAM. A little paranoia is a good thing when it comes to your information security. Ever seen someone sitting at your favorite hot spot collecting usernames, passwords, cc numbers, etc. ....all sent in the clear by people who don't know they are even doing it? Maybe you will be their next victim!
<div menubottom="0" menuright="0" menutop="0" menuleft="0" activeid="-1" expanded="0" style="display: none;" id="divCleekiAttrib"></div>

Collapse -
True a "little" paranoia is good but...
by Jeriko20 / November 16, 2011 10:34 PM PST

I'm not saying turn your antivirus off and change all your passwords to 123. I'm just saying that Mr_redglass is going a little too far in his paranoia. In my opinion it is perfectly safe to use email clients such as Google and Yahoo. Just download a good antivirus, set a strong password's and stay away from websites you are unfamiliar with and you will be fine. A little paranoia is healthy but feeling trapped, worn out and fearful is going too far.

Collapse -
Here's why I guess I feel paranoid:
by Mr_redglass / November 18, 2011 6:18 AM PST

I see what you guys are saying but there's something else that I feel you don't understand so I though I should try to make more sense on how I feel.

Collapse - appears Jeriko_20 was right. You need help.
by MauiTech / November 18, 2011 11:57 AM PST

You are obviously in the wrong forum. You need to find a good Psychology and Mental Health Forum.<div menubottom="0" menuright="0" menutop="0" menuleft="0" activeid="-1" expanded="0" style="display: none;" id="divCleekiAttrib"></div>

Collapse -
Do you really mean that?
by Mr_redglass / November 20, 2011 12:20 PM PST

Sorry I freaked you out. I do sound a little freaky there now that I read it but I don't know how to explain why I'm so cautious. I just thought of that analogy the other day but maybe you're right.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.