Laptops forum

Question

Can someone give some suggestions?

by EnigmaticMind / July 17, 2013 3:34 PM PDT

I have a general idea of the specifications I want, and I'll list them and then go into a little more details. Sorry it's so long.

i7 processor, 3rd or 4th generation
2.20 GHz processor speed
At least 750 GB Hard drive
At least 6 GB RAM
Replaceable battery
Optical drive (willing to compromise)
14"-15.6" screen
Under 6 lbs.

Preferred:
A hard drive and an SSD (any size)
Preferably closer to a 14" screen
Touch Screen for windows 8
Full HD
Back lit keyboard
Aluminum case/chassis
NVIDIA graphics

About me:
I will be an engineering students at a fairly intensive university. I will most likely be using this laptop every time I'm outside of my dorm (which will be a lot, but when in the dorm I have a 17.3" HP laptop that I love). I'll be using this for all of the external softwares I have to run for classes, as well as presentations and studying. I'm going to be using it a lot, most likely, away from the charger, so I need at least 4-5 hours of battery life. I also will be carrying it around a lot across campus so the weight and size make sense, hopefully. I understand that with windows 8 (which I'm noticing is becoming pretty much the standard now), a touch screen is nice for navigation and such, so I am looking for that, but it is not a "must-have." My university recommends an SSD, though I have never had any problems without one. The aluminum casing is a preference since I went from plastic to aluminum and absolutely love the feel of the aluminum over the plastic. I have not really been successful in finding models that meet most of these requirements, but my search has also been fairly limited. I did find one that I liked, but there were also some really bad reviews that turned me off (Lenovo Y410p). Considering I have a great 17 inch, I don't want to spend too much on this laptop to the point where my investments in both of them are over $3000. So I'm looking for this laptop to max out price at $950.

Basically, I'm up for some suggestions on whether the specifications I have mentioned are impossible or whether I'm missing something, or whether it's not necessary, just let me know what you think (and preferably with some reasoning). Any brand or model suggestions would be wonderful. I do read a lot of reviews before buying anything because I'm basically terrified of getting an awful product, so if there is anything glaringly obvious, please be available to back the product up and reassure me that that is not typically the case.

Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone give some suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone give some suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
These are not impossible but rare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 10:43 PM PDT

I haven't found an ultrabook with what you asked for that little yet. Let's see what others find.

I'm not writing it won't arrive but today I didn't find the Lenovo IdeaPad U430 Touch to be shipping. Maybe in a few weeks.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm willing to compromise
by EnigmaticMind / July 18, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

I'm starting to see that this is going to be fairly impossible to find. The first set of the list, I'd prefer to maintain; however, I'm willing to compromise on the second. I like the aluminum casing, but it's not necessary. As long as any plastic body does feel cheap, which of what I've looked at first hand, is pretty common. Like I said in the original post, I don't think an SSD will be tremendously missed if it's not there, as I've never had any problems without one. And an NVIDIA graphics card is not necessary, I suppose. I've been told that it's great to have, but another graphics card will work.

Collapse -
So what about the model I noted?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

It had the CPU, Nvidia and under 1K but is weeks away from being here.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm going to keep it on the list
by EnigmaticMind / July 18, 2013 11:46 AM PDT

I'm definitely interested in it; however, I don't want to limit myself until one option, as I will be needing this before the end of September. Furthermore, if for some reason when it is released it is a flop or I find it does not suit my needs with the actual model, I'd like to have a backup.

Collapse -
It seems you want a gaming laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 12:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
What do you mean
by EnigmaticMind / July 18, 2013 12:45 PM PDT

Out of curiosity, how do you find what models will be replacing what? If I knew of all the new models coming out, I might wait to start looking.

Collapse -
I mean exactly that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean

Look at the Lenovo in the last link, then go to the amazon site then notice it is offering what's it being updated with.

I fear you are not using your own resources or applying yourself here. Sorry if that upsets you.
Bob

Collapse -
I take no offense
by EnigmaticMind / July 19, 2013 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: I mean exactly that.

I take no offense to that. In fact, I've looked intensively the past week, using filters on just about every website. I've talked to Lenovo's customer service after examining most of their products that *could* fit my needs, and I've talked to ASUS about their products in attempt to locate a model. I have never seen a "next model available" or any such thing, and even more unfortunate, the customer service reps at all of these websites seem to know less about the products than I do -- basically hired monkeys. I do like the U430 from what I've read about it, but I also liked what I read about the U410. However, I noticed that there is a ubiquitous wi-fi problem with these models, even mentions of it on their forums and around the web about it within the past 5 days, and it appears that lenovo has done nothing to fix it in the U410 nor have they offered customers refunds if it was bought through them rather than a reseller. This worries me slightly. If they wouldn't/couldn't fix the problem on the older models that were manufactured within the past few months, what faith should I have that the U430 model will be any better? Wifi is essential at this point.

Collapse -
I've seen folk slam WiFi in many models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2013 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I take no offense

And even here I had a router that was trouble with my new Asus and changing laptops it was good so your newer folk would say it's the laptop.

A little more research and I found this router was not playing well with iPads so I used the advice to fix that and my laptop was fixed too.

Later, the router maker issued new firmware and I was done.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
That's not the complaint
by EnigmaticMind / July 20, 2013 11:20 AM PDT

Every where you read reviews or look about the U410, people claim connectivity issues. In june 2012, Lenovo even issued a response saying that it was a manufacturer's defect, though never offered to replace the models, from what I understand. Then they continued to release models with this issue. Newer models still seem to have the issue on the U410. Furthermore, everyone who claims that there was an issue also seems to claim that none of there other devices have any problems, and that the u410 will work when very close to the router (within 5 feet). This most definitely does not instill confidence in me about their new u430.

Collapse -
Then wait for reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 1:31 AM PDT

I like the list CNET issued above and find not one person or laptop at the office has this issue. I had to extend this to my story to find a wifi issue but thoroughly understand the worry.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Well looking at your need for battery life.
by orlbuckeye / July 19, 2013 12:00 AM PDT

An SSD will give you better battery life then then one with a HD. But you need 750 gb so getting a system with a small SSD and a HD would make bootup faster. The new Haswell will have up to 50% better battery life over the 3rd generation and right now your basically limited to big gaming rigs with the Haswell. Your going to have going to have less options the smaller the screen for full 1080P hd. I wouldn't put as much emphasis on clock speed. I'm reading the Haswell running the same clock speed as the Ivy Bridge have a little better performance but the OEM's are putting lower GHZ processor in their models I guess to bring the cost down (plus it saves on battery life also.

Right now isn't a good time to buy unless your looking for a gaming laptop. MSI, Alienware, Asus and Acer have i7 4th generation higher perfomance laptops. The OEM's will be releasing i5 and i3 and more i7's as we get closer to the holidays. So if you hold off till the winter term you will have more choices.

Collapse -
I wish
by EnigmaticMind / July 19, 2013 2:51 PM PDT

I wish I could hold off until winter; however, I'm going to need a new laptop by mid september at the latest. Classes and I cannot just "hold off."

Collapse -
Answer
K.I.S.S.= keep it simple stupid
by 3JGProductions / August 4, 2013 10:29 PM PDT

A 160 or 250GB HHD, 3.0 RAM & Current Operating systems is sufficient for your projected college school work. Do not over Tech yourself, computers' shelf-life varies, don't buy a machine that sounds good, example 500TB HHD or SSD or 6-8 RAM. In your life-time your will never use that much RAM or HHD/SSD, and dispel any plans to clutter your PC. You are setting yourself up for a PC breakdown. I constanly say, "One don't fit all" set up a PC or Laptop that will fit you school needs, for study & archiving or writing or printing immediate papers, from your class notes or field notes. A 32 bit operating system will only recornize 3.2 G's of RAM, 64 bit 3.5G's & more.

I mentioned in a previous reply, buying a Laptop with lots of add ons, such as a docking station, that attaches an additional monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer or that one you can convert to stationary or a stadalone machine, when in your dorm. When going on field trips you just pop it out of docking station & hit the road, when return you pop it in docking station & immediately type & print notes & for your Wi-Fi Internet one that has a permanent Mini PCI card inserted onto the motherboard for use with a specific Wi-Fi phone carrier, shoud you need it outside of the classroom.

Did you know?, a 80GB HHD holds: 20 two DVD movies, 80 hours VHS videos, 55 days around the clock MP3 audio or 20,000 digital photos or 114 action acked games.

I wish you sucees in your Higher Education endeavers, however, "Keep It Simple Stupid".

Collapse -
This will dispel rumors about which PC is best,
by 3JGProductions / August 5, 2013 10:03 AM PDT

Bottom line is: All must meet the TCP/IP (transmission control protocal/ internet protocal) rule, which is the IT law, that all must simply interface & recieve and transmitt data over an Intranet and Internet.

So, pick a mamufacturer's computer or notebook/laptop that fit your need. No person can tell which is best, because they all perform mostly the same function. My choice is Dell, Inc., because, their machines are User Friendly for upgrades and parts replacement, and immediate access to third party Vendors selling Dell parts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.