Computer Help forum

Can someone find forum posts/internet activity through i.p.

by alfmelmak / February 1, 2013 1:31 PM PST

So basically where I used to work, they'd twist anything about my personal life into harassment. They're probably reading this now because I've posted here in the past, so they save it in a folder and might read the forums religiously in case I come back or maybe they can find me through my i.p address. I use all different website forums a lot. When I get into a new thing, I usually have a few good questions and ask a forum. I.E, if they knew I got a dirt bike, they'd know to find dirt bike forums and read the entire thing and try and find me through context because I never use my real name. However, there have been times that I know they've read my posts because I can tell by hints they let out, but they are so out of the blue and I can't imagine how much they must have read in order to have found only a few posts by me using only context. I highly doubt they had me hacked, and again, the amount of time and effort they must have used to find me with just context and assumption is scary just to try and use anything about my personal life as harassment. So, I'm wondering if there's a 'simple' way to find my internet activity like through my i.p address? I've posted in a forum that displays i.p address, and besides, youtube makes it pretty easy to learn how to find someone's i.p. IOW, could they plug in my i.p to something and find my internet activity like forum posts or downloads or anything like that, or they just read and read and read forums based on assumption or hacked me? I'm on a very secure connection, no viruses ever, no network so other computers in the house can't see what I'm doing, computer is always locked, etc. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can someone find forum posts/internet activity through i.p.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can someone find forum posts/internet activity through i.p.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Anything is possible BUT ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2013 2:22 PM PST

I sincerely doubt anyone at your former employment are monitoring your internet activities UNLESS you happened to be using their computers and they are investigating your use of them.

A little paranoia is good but a little bit goes a long way. Look behind the big billboard, not behind every blade of grass.

Collapse -
by alfmelmak / February 1, 2013 3:58 PM PST

I didn't have computers at that job. what I'm saying's that they either hacked me (highly doubt), or there's a somewhat easy way to find my internet activity with an i.p. tracker or something , or something I didn't think of. Other than that, then they/one of them must have religiously read forums trying to find me out of context. I'm not even hiding anything and don't have a secret second life on the internet and am not so interesting compared to the internet, so I find it hard to believe they read that much just to try and get under my skin.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.