Phones

Question

Can smartphones be used without plans or minutes?

by dlamp2010 / October 1, 2012 3:36 AM PDT

I am actually looking for an wifi, mp3/media player without the ipod price. It seems like refurbished cell phones would fit the bill. However I know that with my old AT&T phone I cannot get past the first screen without a SIM card. Are all cell phones like this or are their some whose features can be used with no minutes or plans or contracts? I think that I would prefer the Android OS. Thanks for your help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can smartphones be used without plans or minutes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can smartphones be used without plans or minutes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do you....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 1, 2012 4:02 AM PDT

...have the old SIM still or is it in use in another handset?? If you have a deactivated SIM it might work via a wifi connection but can't make/receive calls or connect to the cellular data network.

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by dlamp2010 / October 1, 2012 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you....

My current cell phone is a pantech breeze iii provided by the comany I work for. I don't like the mp3 player and I can't find any adapter that works for headphones (tried 4 different ones so far) to micro usb.Since I have a cell phone to make and recieve calls I was looking for a cell phone/media player that I will have to pay nothing for past the initial cost. Can used verizon or other phones that don't require a sim card be used in this way? If not then I will probably end up with the Galaxy Player 3.6 as suggested by the moderator below.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Answer
Can you consider an Android PMP/MP3 device?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2012 4:24 AM PDT

Samsung has a few. Example follows.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-3-6-Inch-Galaxy-Player-New/dp/B007M6EYU2/

That's 139 or so with almost all the features you see in the phone. It also has the usual 32GB microSD capability.

As to the Phone, you can use that but no cell service. BEWARE ONE THING!!! I found my HTC would go nuts if it couldn't connect to a cell system after a few days. The date and time would reset to 2004 and this created other issues.

I would not consider the phone unless you got it for free.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the warning.
by dlamp2010 / October 1, 2012 8:34 AM PDT

And yes, the Samsung you mention is where I will probably end up, I was looking for other alternatives to consider. So far this is the only one I've seen. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Answer
Just a get a prepaid card

The Iphone would do that, but you could instead just get a prepaid card or something! As long as it is a card that is supported by your phone (if its unblocked you can choose from any provider you like)
There are even great prepaid plans that let you browse only in the internet! Just have a look around!

Collapse -
You don't even need to do that
by Pepe7 / October 3, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

Any old properly sized SIM card for the device in question should work. It doesn't even have to be active either AFAIK (at least the last time I checked).

Collapse -
Answer
mp3 player on a Consumer Cellular plan...just voice ...cheap
by sandy_bee / October 3, 2012 10:29 AM PDT

I got one of Consumer Cellular's 'refurb/returned' old Nokia C3 phones, it cost me $30. It plays mp3, FM radio without using any minutes. You can just buy minutes. Or use all the bells and whistles wifi email etc for just a bit more. I never pay more than about 20 (but with all those cummunications taxes......its comes to almost 28.) Definitely check their website and then CALL them (deals on phone are an occassional thing - not on the site).

Collapse -
why pay for wifi?
by Pepe7 / October 3, 2012 2:35 PM PDT

Now that seems silly.

Collapse -
Answer
Can smartphones be used without plans or minutes?
by genepadre / October 5, 2012 1:25 PM PDT

Yes, I was using Motorola Atrix for my ATT account. Then, I transferred my SIM card to my Samsung SII when it became available in the market. I found out that my Atrix still works with my home wi-fi even without SIM card, minus the phone call only.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.