Computer Newbies forum

Question

Can scanner be calibrated on HP DJ 2514?

by herbk98-22730115496766606585796804347952 / January 29, 2014 7:53 PM PST

My all-in-one unit prints well and copies 'OK', but scanned images (.jpeg) sent to my computer are very light. (Blacks are gray and yellows are almost washed out. All other colors are affected proportionately.) I have not tried to darken the image with a photo editor program because when I've tried that in the past (for different reasons) I was never happy with the results. I'd like to have the original .jpeg image be correct. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can scanner be calibrated on HP DJ 2514?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can scanner be calibrated on HP DJ 2514?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Didn't find that feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2014 9:19 PM PST
Collapse -
Monitor calibration
by herbk98-22730115496766606585796804347952 / January 31, 2014 3:30 AM PST

Thanks for that suggestion. My monitor does display all colors correctly, and I have no washout problem with internet pictures, or pictures in e-mail or other programs. The problem is just with images from the scanner. But it was good to check that anyway. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Answer
Edit scans/Picasa
by pgc3 / January 29, 2014 11:39 PM PST

One thing you could do is edit the object with something such as Picasa. Download Picasa, do your scan, find the scan file/folder. right click the file, at the window scroll to Open with, click Picasa photo viewer, when item opens go to bottom of object(page), click edit with Picasa, with Picasa you have some of the editing options of which speak, red eye, color enhancement, bright and contrast levels etc. Oh and it is a free download, I use it for the majority of my photos, have for quite a long time.

Collapse -
Photo editing.
by herbk98-22730115496766606585796804347952 / January 31, 2014 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Edit scans/Picasa

I've never tried Picasa for that task. I have a program called Hypersnap which has color/ contrast/ gamma/ etc. correction but I'm never happy with the results. I'll give Picasa a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
Scanner/color editing etc.
by pgc3 / January 31, 2014 4:10 AM PST
In reply to: Photo editing.

You'd have better results using a stand alone scanner for what you are trying to do. The HP unit you have is pretty basic, comparatively. There are lots of variables when it comes to scanning from both hardware and software standpoints, not just the scanner but the PC as well, graphics reproductive capability etc. A software mentioned by Mr. Proffitt, Pantone, will give a more accurate depiction (color) at the monitor, which can be a good thing, especially when doing editing, photos etc. There are ways to do all of this but the hardware and software needed to get professional results gets pretty costly. Those who are really serious about such things go to Mac systems instead of Windows and the bucks just roll out. Just for the heck of it, give Picasa a try, it works quite well for the average user, I've never tried Hypersnap, so I cannot speak to that. Another software(free) if it is still around with which to do SOME editing, is Photostory but it's been years since I have used that. Good luck and have fun.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.