Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Can samsung TV apps save data / login details?

by newtuk / January 21, 2013 8:41 AM PST

I have a Samsung UE55D8000 LED Smart TV.
I have a Deezer premium+ music streaming account and have installed the Deezer app on the TV, as well as my Android phone.

I can login to Deezer ok on both devices, but the TV version of the app doesn't seem to be able to save login details. As such, I have to manually type the email address and password to login, which is a big hassle when using an on-screen keyboard via the TV remote control. Also I don't want to be typing my username and password in front of friends and family everytime I want to put some music on, or everytime I return to the app if I leave it for a moment to maybe watch a TV program.

Does anyone know if this is a short coming of the Deezer app, or is a short coming with the Samsung TV?

I have asked Deezer for an answer on this also, but wanted to ask the forum in case anyone has any useful information.

I suspect it is the TV, as my kids downloaded a fish tank app where can choose a fish tank and look after fish or get new fish, etc, but it always started from scratch whenever you went back to it, which made that particular app somewhat pointless.

newtuk has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can samsung TV apps save data / login details?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can samsung TV apps save data / login details?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by newtuk

Collapse -
So far, it's like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 1:00 AM PST

Create the Smart Hub account, log in, then use the apps. It appears you want to avoid the Smart Hub account. It will be interesting to read what your local support says about that.

Collapse -
Issue resolved
by newtuk / January 24, 2013 10:29 PM PST

Thanks for the contributions.

This issue was resolved by following advice from Samsung UK support.
The fix was to:
1) Reset Smart Hub (wipes all downloaded apps)
2) Update factory shipped firmware version 1009 to latest firmware version 1025.1 (I did via USB pen drive)
3) Reset TV (Hold EXIT button on remote until message appears), then run through setup wizard as if just out of box.
4) Reinstall Apps

This firmware would normally have been automatically downloaded as part of the automated setup / out of box setup, but I skipped network configuration on day one as I wanted to hard-wire the connection rather than use Wi-Fi.

Interesting point is that YouTube never worked at all on version 1009, as well as apps did not retain app specific data. Now YouTube works perfectly, allows me to sign-in and remembers login when I close / re-open.
Also Deezer (music streaming app) now remembers login details when opened / closed.

I do not have to login to Samsung Hub.
I suspect that that login is if I want to buy Apps from the Samsung Marketplace / App Store, which I haven't needed to, as yet.

Collapse -
Re: Can samsung TV apps save data / login details?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 22, 2013 6:46 AM PST

Hi newtuk,

Sometimes this happens if you're not logged into Smart Hub somehow, but it sounds like you're logging in. But just so you know, I support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for UK. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So if you want the most accurate information, here's the Samsung UK portal for support on that product:

Hope this helps you!

HD Tech

Collapse -
by newtuk / January 23, 2013 5:39 AM PST

Thanks for the info.

Deezer have replied today and have said that this issue has been passed to their tech engineers who will liaise with Samsung to try and resolve. I will see what comes back from that enquiry aswell.

Are you saying that I need to create a Samsung account and need to be logged in to Samsung for apps to save details on the TV?

My Deezer subscription is via my mobile phone company and is funded as part of my monthly phone contract. I am using the Deezer credentials that I have created via this subscription. I have not subcribed via any Samsung affiliated route. Does this matter? I assume that the Deezer account that I have via the phone company is just a regular Deezer account and should be compatible to use with the Samsung TV?

Thnaks again.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 23, 2013 11:43 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.