Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Can Realtek HD Audio be fixed?

by Idaho_Biker / March 26, 2012 11:52 AM PDT

I have a embedded Sound Card [Realtek ALC889] in my Gigabyte MoBo GA-790FXTA-UD5, I'm running Realtek HD Audio.
My 2 Issues are:
1) Installed Realtek Driver Package does NOT give me the Option for my 5.1 Surround Sound System, it does give me 5.1 Surround but it SHOWS their Setup with Side Speakers, and NOT Rear Speakers (Grayed Out) which is what I have, so it doesn't Sound Right, How Can this be corrected??
2) Having another Issue where I can't get my Full 5.1 Surround Speakers to Setup correctly. When I open the Realtek HD Audio and click TEST, it only Plays the Front Speakers, but I can't hear the Sub, Center, and Rear x2 in that Test?? The Speaker System works fine when I go to WMP, and when I play a CD. I'm Stumped (of course I'm still a bit of a Noob on 'puters too, LOL)
Main Speakers:
Logitech Z-5300e Surround THX

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Realtek HD Audio be fixed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Realtek HD Audio be fixed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 6:33 AM PDT

This is a warranty issue. Return the product if they fail to correct it.

I was going to note the old XP MSUAA issue but I can't see where Windows XP is in the mix.
Bob

Collapse -
What Gigabyte Told me to do
by Idaho_Biker / March 28, 2012 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with

The Tech told me to Unplug the Black Pin, and then Plug it back in so that the Realtek HD pops up and requests which speakers are the output, then Tick off the Box that says "Side-Speakers"...I did that...But still the Program doesn't Operate correctly or at least as far as Running the "test" goes...
As Far as Warranty Replacement goes, that would mean having to take my Motherboard out of my system (What a Pain that would be, not to mention the "Down-Time" Involved)

Collapse -
So it's defective?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 9:32 AM PDT

Sounds to me they deserve the return.

Let me be clear that I do cure this one but not by using the onboard system. I go get a Creative Labs card...
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds to me they deserve the return
by Idaho_Biker / March 28, 2012 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: So it's defective?

Well when I initially had this System Built, I WAS considering a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty ...But being Budget Minded I left that out...
At this Point since I have acquired a Wireless Headset for Gaming (Logitech G930), and My Speaker System is a 5.1 Surround THX // Dolby Pro, trying to Find a Decent "middle-of-the-Road" Sound Card that will handle what I have ( I also have PS3 & XBox 360, lol),,,seems to be Mind Boggling on what to get??

Collapse -
And then I have this desktop with no sound card at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2012 3:48 PM PDT

It pumps out sound over HDMI. No sound card. I see why folk are stressed over this development.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Help with your sound card
by AMDStewie1977 / July 26, 2012 2:50 PM PDT

An issue of this kind, I would suggest that you update your chipset drivers, then update your sound card drivers. After you completed these two steps, if nothing has changed, I suggest to ensure your speakers are connected properly at the right locations as indicated on your speaker manual. Once that is clarified, go to your mixer setting for your sound card (volume icon on the system tray located at the bottom right near the time) then select the mixer and make sure the volume is setup right. Hope this helps a bit

Collapse -
Did what I should have done to begin with
by Idaho_Biker / July 27, 2012 4:37 AM PDT

<div id="swiffout"></div>
Well, I did what several Forums said to do get a Sound Card, so I got this one: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series...Sounds (pardon the Pun, lol) like a Fix 2 me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.