Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Can'r send photos in Windows Live Mail

by SteveyV / June 14, 2012 5:29 AM PDT

My Windows Live Mail program will not send my photo email attachments. I get error messages, emails dumped into the outbox, and other crazy stuff. Either as attachments or using their photo album. Any thoughts on how to fix this, what may be causing it? It suggests I delete the email and try again or split it up, neither of which is helpful (I can't even send one pic, hard to split up just one!).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can'r send photos in Windows Live Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can'r send photos in Windows Live Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 5:40 AM PDT

a size issue.

Many ISP email servers will baulk at large size attachments.

The size of image files in KBytes could be significant, depending what file format they are in.

For example, an image, (photo), which has a .bmp file extension is considerably larger than the same image file with a .jpg file extension.

I have just tested one of mine. A JPG image sized 1.11 MB, (1167.7 KB), jumps to a whopping 7.50 MB, (7864.0 B), when I convert it to BMP.

So have a look at your pictures folder and see what file sizes they are and what file format they are.

Mark

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail won't send photos
by SteveyV / June 16, 2012 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be

Mark: Thanks for the suggestion. However the photos are jpg. and each is about 1 mg. The 'photo album' that the program sort of forces you into is supposed to handle more photos than a number of attached photos and even that won't do it. I am going to try and uninstall my virus program and see if things work when I do that. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: can't send photo's
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 1:33 AM PDT

Why not tell more details about the error messages? Looks like it's a message coming from the mail provider. Which one?

Kees

Collapse -
Reply to Kees re 'Cant send photos' error
by SteveyV / June 16, 2012 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: can't send photo's

Error messages read "delete message & try resending, # 0 x 8CCC0003, and 'couldn't be sent, try splitting into smaller parts', # 0 x 800420CA. Needless to say, neither of these things work. Also, photos email fine when done directly from Comcast.net (not using Windows Live Mail. Also, I tried without an anti-virus program and that didn't help. File sizes are not overly large and emailed photos are recieved fine, just won't send. I think it was ok when I sent one photo but not a few. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: can't send photos
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 6:11 AM PDT

I found an answer on a Dutch forum http://www.opgelost.net/?p=87 (use translate.google.com to translate it) where they say that WLM automatically copies the photo you send to your skydrive folder. So you need to be logged in with your Windows Live ID.

I find it kind of strange that WLM should this but, but in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-email/live-mail-error-0x8ccc0003/cbbd73ff-69b9-4abe-88ec-8ab27bf1b971 I read a more or less similar story. I was solved there by creating a live.com email address, it seems.

So, in certain circumstances, there is some integration between this Windows Live services, it seems. If you don't like that, don't use Windows Live Mail, but switch to Thunderbird (free also).

More from that link:
"Short version - If you are not using a Hotmail account, then: a) You have to Attach a picture or use Insert > Single Photo, b) You can't right-click on a photo and use Send To > Mail Recipient, c) You *can* select one or more photos to send in Windows Explorer and then click on E-mail at the top of the window."

Anyway, I * think * it should work if you send the mail from WLM and add the file from your local hard disk as an attachment. If you get the same error then I * think * it will surely work if you 'zip' the picture on your local hard disk into a zip-file (compressed folder, if you're using Windows XP) and attach that. It won't be any smaller, but it won't be recognised at a picture, so Microsoft has no reason to do anything special with it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.