Samsung forum

General discussion

Can not manually tune a channel - please help

by benfreebury / June 21, 2010 7:38 AM PDT

Hi there...

I have no external roof aerial on my house - i simply have sky which feeds the tv in my lounge and a magic eye to link to my bedroom. Everything was working like a dream until i bought a new tv for the lounge and moved my Samsung M8 Series 40" LE40M87BD to the bedroom. The Sky magic eye works using a coaxial cable and plugging into the traditional aerial socket on the back of the TV. All you need to do is manually tune the TV to the correct station and bingo! The only trouble is, when I go into the menu option, the 'channel' option (it looks like a satellite dish) is impossible to select. It simply will not select (it looks like it's been shaded grey) - this means that I can not tune the channel and therefore can no longer watch Sky upstairs.

I wondered if it maybe the strength of signal so I tried tuning in an old VHS player, again using RF outputs and coaxial inputs - but once again, it is impossible to select the 'channel' option on the menu. I have tried both the Digital and Analogue tuning menus but neither of them allow me to do the simple task required!

The handbook talks me through manual tuning and it simply says to select 'channel' on the menu. There is no troubleshoot and no information relating to my problem.

Can anybody help.... My 40" TV looks great hanging on the wall but isn't worth a bean at the moment.

Is it faulty or am I doing something stupid?

Please advise and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

Ben

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not manually tune a channel - please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not manually tune a channel - please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can not manually tune a channel - please help
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2010 9:47 AM PDT

benfreebury,

I'm not familiar with the Sky Magic Eye. Can you explain how you have the unit wired, and if it's wired to a satellite box?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Magic eye is...
by benfreebury / June 22, 2010 8:16 AM PDT

Basically, you take the standard aerial RF output from the sky box and run a coaxial cable to another room in the house (my bedroom in this instance), this then plugs into the Sky Magic Eye and then into the back of the TV via the traditional aerial input. The Sky Magic Eye is simply an infra red sensor which enables the sky remote control to be used in my bedroom, controlling the sky box downstairs. It is a pretty common gadget and saves the expensive of having to have Sky Multi-Room.

http://www.sparky-uk.com/ekmps/shops/sparkyuk/images/q50_image47936b3015c97skymagiceye.jpg

Once connected, all you need to do is tune the TV, as you would have tuned channels in the good old days. It is here however that my TV seems to be failing me, as I can not select the 'manual tune' option from the menu!

I have tried plugging the coaxial lead straight into the TV, bypassing the magic eye but still to no avail.

Any ideas...?

Regards

Collapse -
Magic eye is...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 22, 2010 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Magic eye is...

benfreebury,

I have one suggestion. Try connecting without the Magic Eye, but connect to the best source possible (in this case, "downstairs"). Once you go through the initial setup, and get the channels loaded, try then to connect the Magic Eye.

After that, I'm going to have to refer you to the Samsung customer service center in your region. I just don't know enough about the technology to be able to diagnose it. I would if I could, and I'll see what I can find in the meantime.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Channel menu
by jw650 / June 23, 2010 7:21 PM PDT

Can you select the "Plug & Play" option in the Settings menu?

Collapse -
Plug and play option
by benfreebury / June 26, 2010 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Channel menu

No i can't. The plug and play option is faded out and can't be selected.

Collapse -
Plug and play option
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2010 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Plug and play option

benfreebury,

Try and change the source input to TV. It should be accessible that way.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Source input...
by benfreebury / July 17, 2010 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Plug and play option

The source input is set to 'tv', but I am still unable to select either the plug and play option, or the manual tuning option (depicted as a satellite dish). When accessing the digital menu, the source input is automatically changed to DTV, but as before, the tuning options are faded out and not selectable!
Sorry, I'm really stuck with this one. Is it possible that this model of tv is unable to manually tune an analogue signal? Will it only work with digital components?

Collapse -
Source input...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 17, 2010 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Source input...

benfreebury,

It's a non-U.S. set, so I have no way of knowing for sure what options and tuner features there are in different regions. (I can only speak on U.S. sets, but try to help everyone)

Your best solution might be to call the Samsung customer service center in your region for assistance on this.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.