Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can not get rid off the tracking Cookies that AVG Finds

by islandporgy / July 9, 2008 6:53 AM PDT

Could some one tell me how to get rid off these files that keep poping up.
An AVG pop up keeps popping up after I delete the tracking device from AVG Vault.
Ran AVG, Windows Defender, Microsoft Removal tool, Hijack> Know BHO, Trojan Remover.
I think it may have somthing to do with MSN.

1) Found Tracking Cookie. Webtrends /c:\Documents and Settings\Wendell\Cookies\Wendell@m.webtrends[1].txt

2) Found Tracking Cookies.207/c:Documents and settings\Wendell\Cookies\Wendell@msnportal. (XXXX)[1].txt

I do not want to reinstall windows XP and have them come back.

Help

Thank You
Wendell H

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not get rid off the tracking Cookies that AVG Finds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not get rid off the tracking Cookies that AVG Finds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not using CCleaner for the cookies?

Download: CCleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows tab

Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows tab

Select the following:
Internet Explorer:
Temp Internet
History
Recently Typed URLs
Delete Index.dat files

System:
Empty Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Memory Dumps
Chkdsk File Fragments
Old Prefetch Data

- If you want to keep the Internet Explorer Cookies, then unmark 'Cookies'
- If you want to keep the Internet Explorer History, then unmark 'History'
- If you want to keep Windows Log Files, then unmark 'Windows Log Files'
- you're using Mozilla's Firefox or Internet Suite
- Click the tab Applications
- If you want to keep the Internet History, then unmark 'Internet History' under 'Firefox/Mozilla'

Next: click Options click the Settings tab
Uncheck: "Only delete files older than 48 hrs.", click Ok

UNCHECK ALL other default settings in the program !

Then click Run Cleaner (bottom right) then Exit (reboot)

Collapse -
I Have CCleaner
by islandporgy / July 9, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

I have CCleaner 209.600, it is set like you suggested.
That is not helping me, every time I open anything dealing with MSN. AVG popup opens and tells me about those tracking cookies. It is getting to be a big pain.

As soon as finish running CCleaner and I open a msn Browser there goes the popup. I am afraid to turn on my External hard drives thinking they may get infected.

Need More Help Please.

Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Collapse -
MSN Browser..... does that mean: MSN Explorer ?
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 9, 2008 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I Have CCleaner
Collapse -
Even When I run CCleaner
by islandporgy / July 9, 2008 9:16 AM PDT

Even when I run CCleaner it pops up, I have been running CCleaner where it says 35 passes Guttman.

If I reinstalled Windows will I still have this problem. I would lose a lot from the paid games that I have from BigFish.

Every Thing started going wrong when I installed the new Microsoft update. ( Microsoft Security Update For Windows XP(KB951376-V2) 7/8/08) I checked with a few off my friends and they said they updated to and now having problems with there computers.

Wendell H

Collapse -
Microsoft Security Update For Windows XP(KB951376-V2) 7/8/08
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 9, 2008 9:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
May be tomorow

I will chech back a that Microsoft feedback page and see if there is somthing there. This update just came out today, and I think that is what the problem is. A few off my friends are having issues to.

I now have the Security update # and if I reinstall Window I will look and uncheck that update.

I would have to reinstall windows on two off my computers. a lot of work, Reinstalling all the drivers and software. (not a factory computer)I was told by one of the moderators look for the answer first.

Wendell H

Collapse -
Security update #
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 9, 2008 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: May be tomorow

You do NOT have to reinstall windows to get rid of the latest update.
Go to add\remove and remove the offending update........... is then everything o.k.??

Collapse -
That was the first thing I did
by islandporgy / July 10, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Security update #

That was the first thing I did put the check to show microsoft updates and searched for the date. which it was on the bottom the last update.
I will allways update my secondary computer first and wait around a week before I update my Primary Computer.
The damage is done and two computers Windows has to be reinstalled.

At the moment I am installing software in my primary computer.

Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Collapse -
Shoooooottttt........ that it did NOT work :(
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 10, 2008 3:38 AM PDT

Did you also try System Restore to a date BEFORE the M$ update?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.