Android forum

Question

Can not follow Cnet articles

by lartomar2002 / May 8, 2012 9:09 AM PDT

Hi everyone, I am using a Viewsonic G Tablet with a custome Honeycomb rom. Everytime I see an article on Cnet and I want to read more I am taken to a "Moved Permanently" page with a "click here". When I click on the "click here" I am then taken to a page that says "Moved permently here: with a url". When I click on the url I am redirected back to the page that says "Moved Permanently": 'here'" and it keeps sending me around and around and I never get to the page where thd article continues. Anyone else ever have this problem? If so how did you fix it? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not follow Cnet articles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not follow Cnet articles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm just wondering
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 8, 2012 8:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
Mark I'm tracking this thread...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 9, 2012 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm just wondering

awaiting for OP's example URL where this is happening and reported if it is an issue on our end.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Answer
Small world. I have a Viewsonic G Tab.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 12:14 AM PDT

But if you went and installed some non-supplier rom I can't check this out.
Bob

Collapse -
Back with my G tab
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

I have the stock or 2.2 Android since we use this to develop apps on. I could not find any issue with cnet.com or articles.

Yes I know you have a custom rom so you may encounter issues others can't replicate.
Bob

Collapse -
Good to know... wow what are the chances of having the same
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 9, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Back with my G tab

tablet.

Still I'd like to get some example URLs from OP, just in case there is an issue on our end.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Can not follow Cnet articles

Sorry for the delay guys but, I am not at home and I don't have my Gtab with me. I will try and post URL later today. But, if this helps, it is not just 1 or 2 articles it is all of them.

Collapse -
I'm tracking this one too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 3:25 AM PDT

I only read two articles but wanted to note I didn't click on the "more" link. I did click on some "click to continue reading" and that was fine.

This G tab is one from our collection and I hope you understand I can't install a custom rom as we are developers and have some pretty stiff rules about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Can't follow articles
by lartomar2002 / May 9, 2012 4:06 AM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12261_7-57430905-10356022/htc-gives-cold-shoulder-to-3d-phones-at-ctia/, at the top of the page it says "MOVED PERMANENTLY " then below that it says, " this document moved 'here'", with the "here" being a link to this page: http://m.cnet.com/news/57430905 this page says this: "moved permanently. redirected to here: http://www.cnet.com/8301-1_1-57430905-1. When I click on that url it takes me back to the page http://www.cnet.com/8301-1_1-57430905-1 that says "MOVED PERMANENTLY" and below that it says "this document moved here" thus completing the circle. This happens every time I try to follow a article from Cnet web page. I have no problems on my pc.
Collapse -
Thank you for the example...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 9, 2012 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't follow articles

I'm notifying our mobile team about this issue.

Stay tune.

Thanks!
-Lee

Collapse -
Looking into this
by jt tabencki / May 9, 2012 6:01 AM PDT

Hi there,

I'm a Product manager assigned to mobile web. I appreciate you guys for bringing up the issue with our redirects. Our devs are pushing a solution which should be available in the next few days (we have to make sure other things don't break).

-JT

Collapse -
I broke it too. Then fixed it. Here's pictures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 5:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
By the way. I may not be "following" you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 5:18 AM PDT

There is some More tab but I think those features may be a PC only thing.

Collapse -
Can't follow articles
by lartomar2002 / May 9, 2012 6:19 AM PDT

I have tried both automatic and manually setting date and time and still get the same results. I do not have this problem using the Cnet android app. One good thing about of all of this is I just found out about being able to install "Flipboard" on android now. just installed it on the Gtab and it works. Happy

Collapse -
Ahh, now I'm following you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 6:38 AM PDT

Not literally but thanks for the question as it had me pull this tablet out and try a few new things. It appears the CNET folk are aware of something.
Bob

Collapse -
its a redirect issue..
by jt tabencki / May 9, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

I think the reason behind these errors is a disconnect on what the desktop site think as a mobile device vs our mobile site.

Right now the desktop recognizes a browser as "mobile" and sends that user to the mobile site. The mobile site says, "no, its a desktop browser" and sends it back. The desktop and mobile site argue back and forth, causing a redirect error.

I'll update this thread once we have something live.

Thanks!
-JT

Collapse -
Can' follow articles
by lartomar2002 / May 9, 2012 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: its a redirect issue..

Thanks jt. Happy

Collapse -
should be working
by jt tabencki / May 14, 2012 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Can' follow articles

Hey folks,

We have rolled out an update to our site so we no one should be experiencing redirect errors.

Worse case scenario: a tablet user may be redirected to the mobile cnet site. By going to the navigation -> clicking "view desktop site" a cooke should set and you will remain on the desktop site.

There are so many variations of Android tablets out there, it is a little difficult to keep track of them all.

Please let me know if any of you are having any further issues.

Thanks!
JT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.