Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can Not find "INTERNET OPTIONS"

by georq / September 18, 2007 1:04 PM PDT

anywhere on my 'puter. Yes, I do have "SPYBOT". Did a recovery sequence within Spybot that did not do any good. It is almost a certainty I do not know which group Internet Options would be logged.
Would a reload of Windows XP handle that after deleting SpyBot? Or is there any other suggestions? Computer profile:Windows XP pro, 3.20 gig Intel pent. D, 1024 memory, 250 gigs of HD, Intel Corp. Intel 945GPM. Georq

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Not find "INTERNET OPTIONS"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Not find "INTERNET OPTIONS"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
georq
by tomron / September 18, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

Try system restore.

Tom

Collapse -
Re: Can Not find "INTERNET OPTIONS"
by Tufenuf / September 18, 2007 9:20 PM PDT

georq, If you open Internet Explorer and click on Tools isn't Internet Options listed on the menu? Isn't it in the Control Panel? If it is what happens when you click on it?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
tufenuf
by georq / September 19, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

Thanks for answering, I apologize for not being complete. Its not listed in Control panel, under Tools, it wont open.

Collapse -
Check Spybot S&D Tools/IE Tweaks Settings
by Tufenuf / September 18, 2007 9:48 PM PDT

georq, Open Spybot S&D, click "Tools" (on the left), click "IE Tweaks" (on the left), and uncheck "Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE {current user}".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
There is none of what you suggest on my version
by georq / September 19, 2007 12:17 AM PDT

What I have on the left side is:Search and Destroy, Recovery, Immunize, update, and Donation. Or is there a method I can access that?

Collapse -
I APOLOGIZE AGAIN
by georq / September 19, 2007 12:23 AM PDT

I found the IE tweeks thing, but there is nothing to uncheck OR instead of me making myself idiotic, let me say how can I accomplish
that unchecking?

Collapse -
Re: I APOLOGIZE AGAIN
by Tufenuf / September 19, 2007 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I APOLOGIZE AGAIN

georq, Evidently you're using the newest version "Search & Destroy 1.5" and I'm still running the older version 1.4 and the settings are different. Maybe someone using the new version will be able to help you with this. If you click on Mode at the top and choose Advanced does that get you the Tools/IE Tweaks? In IE Tweaks on mine if gives you the option to Lock the IE control Panel alonf with 2 other options.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I, too, has ver.1.4
by georq / September 19, 2007 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: I APOLOGIZE AGAIN

I have to go into Help, click Tools, then click IE Tweaks. But all it
gives is a summary. LIKE: these are very small changes recommended to make your system work.
Locking the host files will prevent most host hijacking
Locking the IE settings will prevent other users

There r no other users but myself. I dont understand how u get what I
am suppose to be getting and we have the same software. Of course now,
I guess you can tell I am not even close to knowing what I am doing.
Well really not that bad. The program warned me about using the Advanced Tab not unless I was/am truly aware of what I am doing. So I
chose not to use.

Collapse -
It wasn't checked
by georq / September 19, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I, too, has ver.1.4

It was blank

Collapse -
Re: It wasn't checked
by Tufenuf / September 19, 2007 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It wasn't checked
Collapse -
Re: I, too, has ver.1.4
by Tufenuf / September 19, 2007 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I, too, has ver.1.4

georq, Do the following: Open Spybot S&D click on Mode at the top, click on Advanced Mode and when the pop-up box appears click Yes. Now on the left hand side click on Tools, then on the left hand side click on IE Tweaks. Now uncheck Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE {current user}. Then close Spybot S&D and see if you can now access Internet Options. Post back with the results.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I did what u said
by georq / September 19, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

and as I stated it was UNCHECKED. there are three options and none of them were checked

Collapse -
I truly thank you for your
by georq / September 19, 2007 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: I did what u said

help and I know I've possibly became a pest, but I am truly appreciative of your responses. George

Collapse -
Re: I truly thank you for your
by Tufenuf / September 19, 2007 10:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / September 19, 2007 2:28 PM PDT

If you have Microsoft Power Tools for XP Tweak UI

Select Control Panel

Make sure inetcpl.cpl - Internet Control Panel is checked

Collapse -
OK guys, JP Bill, tomron, and Mr. Tufenuf
by georq / September 20, 2007 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Response

I search and found Microsoft Power Tools for XP Tweak UI. I downloaded
TweakUI power toy setup.exe. I go to control panel and I c something there that has 2 check marks in it, but I can not open. In the interim, I downloaded HighjackThis, I will not do anything with it for
it warns to contact you guys b4 even reading the whatevers. I still
haven't found Internet Options. I have a new "Folder Options" added to
my control panel. Is that a substitute? Am I following what you guys r telling me to do? I am really trying to accomodate. If we keep going, the whole forum will contain our issue-lol. George

Collapse -
georq
by tomron / September 20, 2007 3:04 PM PDT

Have you tried system restore?

Tom

Collapse -
Also
by tomron / September 20, 2007 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: georq
Collapse -
Re: OK guys, JP Bill, tomron, and Mr. Tufenuf
by Tufenuf / September 20, 2007 8:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ok I got a whole bunch of info,
by georq / September 21, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

this FIREFOX Is it like easy to maneuver in? I think I gonna leave
Microsoft alone!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.