Windows 7 forum

Alert

CAN NOT DELETE AOL FROM REGISTRY?

by oldsmoker71 / December 16, 2012 10:17 PM PST

> ITS NOT IN 'ADD/DELETE-PROGRAMS'!
> BUT ITS IN MY "REGISTRY"? = I WANT IT OUT!
> any ideas?????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CAN NOT DELETE AOL FROM REGISTRY?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CAN NOT DELETE AOL FROM REGISTRY?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What makes you think
by Jimmy Greystone / December 16, 2012 10:51 PM PST

What makes you think A) it's still in your registry, and B) that it is doing anything even remotely harmful if it is?

Program uninstallers only get rid of files and registry entries created during installation. If any others were created post-install, those will be orphaned, but they're also just a minor nuisance. They aren't attached to anything, so the worst they do is take up a little space on the HDD. Orphaned files might take up a few hundred KB, orphaned registry entries would be measured in bytes. You won't see any kind of performance benefit from getting rid of either, no improvement in overall system stability, or really any changes whatsoever, despite what all the really bad information floating around out on the Internet about the Windows registry might suggest.

Unless you have some specific reason you neglected to share, this is generally a case of there being no real point, so better to just leave well enough alone.

Collapse -
AOL
by pgc3 / December 16, 2012 11:05 PM PST

AOL is owned by Time Warner and you may have, if you didn't install AOL, have visited or gone to one of the many links that they are tied to. Look in Program Files, see if there is something there that has a tie in, if so, right click delete. Otherwise as another poster stated, it won't hurt anything, if it is in the registry. You would follow a similar procedure in the registry, run, regedit, find, type in item..go from there. A word of caution, be very very careful in the registry unless you want a totally nonfunctional box of parts.

Collapse -
If you have recovery disks to reinstall WIN7
by DChrisL / December 17, 2012 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: AOL
and save all your programs on a flashdrive, including Logitech CD. I just start from the original programs, delete what is not needed, Reinstall all your programs from www.filehippo.com - mine are in a flash drive. That would delete all of AOL. Darrell
Collapse -
Use Uninstaller Software
by aahnagupta85 / December 17, 2012 7:25 PM PST

As i will suggest you to use Revo Uninstaller or some other registry cleaner program to clean Aol from your registry.The same case happened with me but i cleaned it from Uninstaller Software.

Collapse -
Jimmy's
by itsdigger / December 17, 2012 7:34 PM PST

a pretty sharp shooter, I suggest you take his advice and leave it be .... Wink

Collapse -
There are a lot of places in the registry.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 7:42 PM PST

Can you be more specific?
And why do you want it out?

Kees

Collapse -
Leave that registry alone!
by wpgwpg / December 20, 2012 12:42 AM PST

Do you tinker with the insides of your car's transmission and engine? Don't tinker with the registry unless you want to have problems. Don't run registry cleaners - they are snake oil. If you fool with the registry, you're just asking for trouble. If you choose not to heed the advice of those telling you this, be SURE you have a good full system backup to an external hard drive using a good commercial backup program because you're very likely going to need it.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.