Windows Legacy OS

Question

Can not connect to DHCP-server

by I-R-Baboon / February 14, 2013 4:32 AM PST

So here's the problem my PC say it cant connect to the DHCP-server (I tried both my router and connecting directly to my ISP and the result is the same)

So what have I done so far to fix it?
I have tried "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew"
I have run different cleaning programs such as C-Clean and spybot.
I have scanned it for viruses with McAfee.
I have tried "netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt" and it looked promising. After I ran it I had connection to my net. But after rebooting the PC I can't connect to the DHCP-server and "netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt" does'nt work.

So what happens?
When I disconnect the UTP-cable the PC say "network no longer connected".
When I connect the UTP-cable the PC say "connected at 1GB/s". But as I said I cant connect to the DHCP-server and if I try to type in an IP-address in the IPv4 config. I cant ping or connect to the other PC's in my LAN.

So what can I do?
I can ping 127.0.0.1.
I get an 165.x.x.x IP-address.

So anyone that can give a tip what's up with my PC and how I can fixit?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can not connect to DHCP-server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can not connect to DHCP-server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You say you "get an 165.x.x.x IP-address ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 14, 2013 1:42 PM PST

are you CERTAIN that isn't a 169.254.nnn.nnn address? Maybe the 165 is a typo?

I am asking because if Windows doesn't find a DHCP server to get a network address through (if using dynamic rather than assigning static addresses) it defaults to an APIPA address in the 169.254.01 to 169.254.255.254 range.

The Fix for Windows XP -

1. To disable APIPA for selected interfaces on your system without disabling DHCP, run regedit and modify or add the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\Adapters registry subkey. Set the IPAutoconfigurationEnabled REG_DWORD entry to a hexadecimal value of 0.

2. If your system has more than one network interface, you can disable APIPA on the computer. To disable APIPA for all the NICs, run regedit and go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces registry subkey. Modify or add a REG_DWORD value named IPAutoconfigurationEnabled, and set the value to a hex value of 0. After you modify one of these registry subkeys, you need to reboot your computer for the change to take effect.

I recommend the second method.

That prevents the APIPA addressing now to solve the missing DHCP server either the router or the modem (if you are connecting directly to it) needs to b re-booted so shut them down by unplugging their power cord for a couple of minutes then plugging them back in and allowing them to boot.

The re-booting of modem and/or router usually solves this but as these components age they do begin dropping connection more often.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Do other OSes work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 4:44 AM PST

I always boot up some other LIVE CD (list will follow) to see if the hardware is OK.

Your post is a little light on details. That is, if you install XP, it will do this until drivers for everything are installed.
Bob

-> http://livecdlist.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.