Phones forum

General discussion

Can Motorola's E815 be used as a modem with a laptop?

by beantowntix / July 19, 2005 11:39 AM PDT

Hi --

I have been getting mixed answers as to whether the motorola e815 can be used as a modem for a laptop or not. It seems like it cannot because verizon is trying to push this vcast thing; however, I like the phone and would like to use it with my laptop. Is this possible? Thanks...

Jim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can Motorola's E815 be used as a modem with a laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can Motorola's E815 be used as a modem with a laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
E815 Castrated Verizon
by jjamespacbell / July 19, 2005 3:49 PM PDT

Here is the full response I received...

Dear John James,

Thank you for contacting the Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to
learn that you are having difficulty with your Mobile Office Kit
connectivity. As part of our Worry Free Guarantee, your concern becomes our
concern the first time you contact us. We are eager to assist you with
your question.

Even though the VZW website offers the MOK and MPT for our Motorola
E815, this will not work.

The device has been disabled for use as a modem or to sync contacts and
calendars. With Verizon Wireless Worry Free Guarantee, you can return
your kit for a full refund. The website should be updated soon to
remove the accessory listed for use with Dial Up Networking. We apologize
for the inconvenience.

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again
through www.VerizonWireless.com. We appreciate your business and thank
you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Debra
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support

"We never stop working for you!"

The phone is fully capable of using a USB connection Verizon just wants everyone to down load via thier pay per month services. To prove it take the E815 to any Verizon dealer and they will connect via the USB to transfer numbers from your prior phone (my V60S for example)

Still the E815 is a great phone except for Sync and use as a modem.

Collapse -
Help is available for full OBEX!
by stangmatt66 / July 21, 2005 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: E815 Castrated Verizon

Check out http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=294 for all the information you could ever need to hack the e815. You can completely unlock the phone to use all syncing and bluetooth capabilities.

Mac users, the e815 will synch all contacts and iCal events over bluetooth right out of the box. Ensure you have iSync 2.1...it works flawlessly!

Collapse -
Will Motorola E815 work as modem for Macintosh
by tmcdanel / July 23, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

Will the Motorola E815 work as a Bluetooth modem for Macintosh straight out of the box?

If not, is there a hack for Mac like the one you referred to for Windows?

Collapse -
e815 as modem for mac
by stephmac / August 3, 2005 4:32 AM PDT

Using Macos 10.4.2, a blue tooth D-link USB broadcaster, and a new e815 I have set up my iBook G3 to dial my ISP up on the e815 and download mail, browse, etc. The speed so far is 14.4k and I am not sure if it will improve as I experiment more.
The only confusion I had was in configuring the BT modem selection in the Network Preferences pane of MACOSX. Here I persistently failed to connect until I selected the "au cdmOne BlueTooth Adapter" as the BT modem. Then all went well.
'
Steve Truitt

Collapse -
What about Vcast via bluetooth from a Powerbook?
by richlove--2008 / September 1, 2005 9:24 PM PDT

Can I use my Mac Powerbook via bluetooth to connect to the Internet through the Motorola e815 phone using Vcast?
I would like high speed internet access using this method.

Rich

Collapse -
Vcast via BT on iBook
by stephmac / September 2, 2005 2:30 AM PDT

Works for my e815 and my G3 iBook with dongle. Just set uopt the BT to dial #777 with username vzw. Once the iBook has recognized the phone (via add a BT device) it works fine. The throughput, however, is not awesome via Vcast.
steve truitt

Collapse -
User Name vzw or password vzw?
by richlove--2008 / September 2, 2005 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Vcast via BT on iBook

I am confused.
In the OS X Bluetooth window, you need to enter
Telephone Number
Account Name
Password

What do I enter in those fields? I thought vzw should be the password.
Also, what modem script works for Vcast?
I tried the following, and it seems to try to connect but acts like it does not like the modem script.

Telephone Number #777

Account Name 1234567890@vzw3g.com ( where 1234567890 is my call number)

Password vzw

Collapse -
Motorola Mobile Office Tools via E815 and Verizon
by photobug56 / March 9, 2006 11:01 PM PST

Motorola's Mobile Office Tools (using USB cable) does work with the E815 to sync phone numbers, apparently to messaging from a PC and to serve as some form of modem. But file transfer (tones, pictures, etc.) is blocked by Verizon programming in the E815 and as forced by Verizon onto Motorola - Motoroal told me that Verizon had them check the model number when you start the software and for the E815 turn off all the neat features in the software, especially those parts pertaining to tones and images. Verizon admitted it to me, would not explain why, but said that maybe some day they might change their minds. Or not.

Collapse -
E815 downloads
by photobug56 / May 26, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

I have no problem uploading and downloading phone numbers and calendar data from/to my E815 using the Motoroal phone tools. It's graphics, sounds, and anything interesting that they block.

Collapse -
YES THIS IS POSSIBLE!
by stangmatt66 / July 21, 2005 4:58 AM PDT

See my other message in this thread.

Collapse -
I was assured by VZW that my v710 could
by dataBoy / September 1, 2005 11:05 PM PDT

and the E815 is the newer version.

Are you trying to do this via Bluetooth or the USB cable. If cable do you have the genuine Motorola cable and Mobile Phone Tools?

Collapse -
It works for me and here is how......
by tampated / May 26, 2006 10:34 AM PDT

Verizon ships its phones with dial-up networking disabled. To enable it, enter ## DIALUP on your phone. That?s ## 342587. For this to work you need to do it quickly. The phone will show a confirmation once you?ve successfully enabled dial-up networking. Doing this more than once will disable dial-up networking. If this happens, just enter the code to enable it again.

Collapse -
v710
by LGWard / July 12, 2006 3:09 AM PDT

There are various websites that allow you to "reprogram" your v710 to unlock file transfers from TRANSFLASH cards onto the phone memory, like pics, mp3s. This is also disabled on E815, the newer version of the same phone, more memory and video capability.

Warning, your warranty with Verizon and Motorola is voided since you are "flashing" your phone, and they will be able to detect it.

I had a friend just receive a settlement on behalf of consumers against Verizon on this "limitation of features" to their phones, he got full credit for his phone (whatever he paid) and put it towards the purchase of a motorola Q.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Reply to Motorola E815 as a modem
by kmecha7 / November 4, 2006 11:40 PM PST

Yeah, it can be done. Only problem is that access the qnc network is all that is available (qnc= "Quick" 2 Net Connect: a very basic digital Internet connection). And at a blazing speed of 14.4 Kbps, qnc also=SLOW! Only good thing about it is that its free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.