Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

MacBooks

General discussion

Can I wipe a mac?

by sportsstud35 / January 13, 2010 5:40 AM PST

So I can get a decent deal on a new Mac Pro laptop,

I've been looking to upgrade my old Gateway laptop to something with a little more power. But I HATE MACS and everything apple. Never had good luck with them, think their over priced ect.

Is there a way for me to wipe the entire laptop and turn it into a windows machine? The only reason I'd consider the Mac Pro is for the processor(up to 2.5ghz from my 1.6)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I wipe a mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I wipe a mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use Boot Camp
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Can I wipe a mac?

and create a very large partition for Windows.

Boot into Windows.

Stay there.

But, one has to ask, if you hate Mac's and everything Apple and have never had good luck with them, why would you consider getting one to turn into a Windows machine?
The hardware would be the same, you still would not have any luck with them.

When was the last time you used one?

P

Collapse -
hmm
by sportsstud35 / January 13, 2010 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Use Boot Camp

Well my last time using one was about 3 weeks ago - trying to get my girlfriends up and running, Shes been through 4 in little over 2 years and has been treated terrible by their customer support.

I owned one about a year ago, and again, died and no help from support even though it was alittle more then 6 months old- but because I put windows on it to run some programs for school my warranty was void.

but this one is a $1500 laptop that I can get for $200 to hold me over for a while, and a good move up on the processor speed.
the hardware for the most part seems to be okay, its the os that has alot of issues, and some hard drive but for the processor for 1 or 2 school programs it will work, hopefully

Collapse -
Plus
by rnauth1418 / January 13, 2010 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: hmm

The Macbook pro is actually the fastest windows laptop south of $2000.
I dont have the link, but the article is in PC World.

Collapse -
Not true about the warranty!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 14, 2010 1:49 AM PST

"I owned one about a year ago, and again, died and no help from support even though it was alittle more then 6 months old- but because I put windows on it to run some programs for school my warranty was void."

Installing windows on your Mac does NOT void the warranty. Not even close.
A dead machine is a dead machine and is covered by the warranty, as long as you did not drop, kick, irrigate or sit on it to cause it to die.
So, was that really a true story or just a tale from someone who hates Macs?

P

Collapse -
voids warrantee
by tek-ed / January 15, 2010 9:17 AM PST

Yeah, but if you smoke around your Mac, that *DOES* void your warrantee!
Ed
web/gadget guru

Collapse -
bad customer service
by sportsstud35 / January 15, 2010 12:53 PM PST

I'm aware that installing windows should not void the warentee, which is one of my issues with mac. It was infact the sales person and the store manager at my local apple store who said it. I could tell from the minute they booted it up to see the issues I was having of random shut downs. The minute they saw windows come up their attitude changed from willing to help to you sol. I later called apple customer serive, filled a complaint, and felt as if nothing was done, as a few days later I got the same reply from that store,
The ha

Collapse -
that's a story change.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: bad customer service

You initially claimed that the machine died, now the story is that you took it in for random shutdowns and it booted in the store.

While it is true that the Apple Store, or Apple, will offer support for a Mac running Windows, no more than Dell will offer support for one of their machines that is running OS X, all you had to say was that it shut down randomly while running OS X.

There is no "should not void" it is a definite "does not void". Just don't expect to get support for Windows from Apple. Microsoft would have been a better place to contact or one of the forums.

P

Collapse -
you get what you pay for...
by ftfekete / January 15, 2010 10:34 AM PST

If you are buying a Mac book Pro 2.5 Ghz for $200 it has issues. This might also explain some of your previous problems with Macs.

Collapse -
Wipr Mac without keeping your privacy at stake
by tompatricka-23280893969061158131433399934175 / January 15, 2010 12:42 PM PST

Just wiping out the drive is not sufficient. As the data can be recovered it manual deletion is done. I use the Mac Data Wiping Software to do that.
It helps me wiping the data according to the need. It includes wipe file, folder, free space, internet activity and system traces.
I wipes the data so that it is not recoverable. Stellar Wipe(Mac) is what I will recommend, as for me the privacy is at the first priority

Collapse -
(NT) Read the original post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2010 11:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Do you have the original disk?
by rlcato / January 18, 2010 1:14 AM PST

If you do, just follow the instructions under 'Disk Utilities' in the toolbar and you'll be right. Once that's done, reload OS X. (You have no other choice - you MUST reload OS X.) Except filling out your name and info, do not load or open anything else. In the toolbar, click 'Help'. Type in 'Bootcamp'. Follow the instructions to the letter. (Since you hate Macs soo much, don't make it hard for yourself by opening windows and other programs.) Once you open 'Boot Camp Assistant', at the bottom, is a button that asks you to 'Print Installation & Setup Guide'. Click that and the info for making a print slides out. click 'OK'. Next, another page slides out showing you what you are about to print. In the lower left hand corner is a 'PDF' button. Click 'Save as PDF' and save it onto your Desk Top or a thumb drive IF you have one. DO NOT OPEN THE 'PDF' and DO NOT MAKE ANY PRINTS FROM THE MAC. Remove your thumb drive and plug it into another machine and make prints (14 pages) of the instructions and follow it to the letter. Click 'Cancel' and the 'Boot Camp Assistant' window is still there. Do not Quit, Shut Down or ANYTHING ELSE. Just close the lid on your Mac. By doing that, you're instantly putting it to sleep (or stand-by or hibernate or whatever MS calls it). Now 'READ THE INSTRUCTIONS' that you have printed to gear yourself up for what's next. When you think you're ready, open the lid and it's ready to go where you left off. (Amazing!!) Click 'Continue'...

You MUST have the 'original disk' to make it into a Windows Machine.

Please do not come back asking 'Why not open the 'PDF' or make prints or what have you from the Mac'? Those would be stupid questions from someone that hates Macs! Understand? Just follow the instructions and you shouldn't go wrong.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.