Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

Can I use my PAL 220V PS3 in Canada?

by irfwaheed / October 26, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

Hi...I have a PAL 60GB PS3 which I purchased in Dubai. I will be moving to Canada soon, and I would like to know the following:

1. I've noticed that the details on the side of my PS3 says: "220-240V ~ 1.8A 50/60Hz". Will this power specification be a problem for me to use it in Canada since the power specification there is 110V? What do I need to take care for it to work in Canada?

2. Since the PS3 is PAL and if I purchase a regular SD TV in Canada, will there be any problems since the TVs are generally NTSC there?

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I use my PAL 220V PS3 in Canada?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I use my PAL 220V PS3 in Canada?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If in doubt
by Jimmy Greystone / October 26, 2008 3:39 PM PDT

If in doubt, considering the cost of the PS3 is around $500CA IIRC, assuming you were going to buy a replacement... I'd consider it to be a trivial expense in comparison to buy a power adapter for the thing to work with the 110V grid in Canada, and even a PAL to NTSC video adapter. I wouldn't think it'd cost you more than $100CA for the both of them, so when you stack it up against the cost of a whole new PS3...

I'm just not sure if there's any kind of region locking on the PS3 as far as games go. I'm not sure if PAL games are only different in the language localizations or if the graphics are formatted differently for the PAL resolution over NTSC. That is something you'd want to look into as well, because if there is more than just a language localization difference, you'll have to import PAL games most likely.

Somehow I don't think this is the case, since the move to HDTV has resulted in some standard resolutions no matter where you go. So, I would think all PS3 and even Xbox 360 game graphics are done in a scalable graphics format instead of being designed with a specific resolution in mind. That would be the easiest way to support different resolutions like 720p and 1080i, not to mention economize disc space.

Honestly though, I think you'd have better luck on the Sony PlayStation forums. While you're over there, check the PlayStation website to see if there's a FAQ or something that might address this question.

Collapse -
PS3 games titles - region free
by irfwaheed / October 27, 2008 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: If in doubt

Thanks Jimmy, it does make sense to get a power adapter as well as the video adapter as opposed to purchasing a new PS3. However, what had me thinking was whether the PS3 itself would support power in the range of 110V to 240V since the spec mentioned on my PS3 says 220-240V. And yes, you're right that using a HDTV would rid off the PAL / NTSC issue, since the HDMI port doest bother about that.

One info I do have, is that PS3 blu-ray game titles are region free. i.e. we can purchase PS3 games from anywhere in the world and it would work on either of the PS3s - PAL / NTSC.

Collapse -
Ps3 Power Problems
by Atif_best17 / October 13, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

Hey brother i just moved from pakistan to canada and me also have a same ps3 as you have and on back there is 220-240 volt mentioned but today i put my ps3 in to 110 volt without any converter and its working but as my ps3 is pal and the tv is here is ntsc so i think i have to buy ntsc to pal converter

Collapse -
hello
by Atif_best17 / October 21, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

hi dear,
i just moved from pakistan to canada and i have a same ps3 as you have and same lable on its back mentioned 220-240 volts.on the cnet i have read that all the new ps3's have a universal voltage so after this i put my ps3 in socket and guess what?yahooooooooooooo its start working,and turned it for 3 hours and there is no problem.so dont worry my friend just take it easy.

Collapse -
Is your PSP 3 working
by shaziazeb / December 24, 2011 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: hello

Hi,
Now we are moving to Pakistan. I bought psp3 250GB from Canada. Is your playstation is working properly.
I will move soon and I have to decide sale or not sale my son wants there.
Please write me about your experience.
He has also wii and so many games
I dont'n know what to do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.