Computer Help

General discussion

can i use my external hard drive to network software

by tedg3 / September 7, 2009 2:16 PM PDT

I would like to use my external hard drive to hold all of my software and network it to my other computers is this a possibility ? would it cause an issue with two computers running the same program at once any suggestions or feedback

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can i use my external hard drive to network software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can i use my external hard drive to network software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I doubt it will work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2009 8:29 PM PDT

If you mean install software onto a networked hard drive, then attempt to access/use that software from two or more computers, then I doubt it will work.

There is software that will install wholly onto a USB drive, but these are usually "Mobile" devices, designed specifically to be used on the go, eg MobileFirefox, etc.

Normal software, Office, and such, need to have system files and personal files installed on each system, and they are not interchangeable.

Mark

Collapse -
Not all software titles do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2009 9:16 PM PDT

Research PORTABLE APPS and you find stuff that is portable. But most software is not so portable.
Bob

Collapse -
For those apps that are not so portable,
by Rex2010 / July 12, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

you may need to download Prayaya V3, which makes it possible you to run any app off an external hard disk or a USB drive.

Collapse -
Prayaya V3
by jager555 / May 12, 2011 6:21 AM PDT

Prayaya V3 is definitely what you are looking for. I know its not free, but its completely worth it! I tried this program out after learning about MojoPac and I have to say that it is way better. I think that it is faster and you can do a lot more with it, especially because it is not limited to just Windows XP. It can run on XP/Vista/7 flawlessly. Because I travel a lot, I am constantly on the go and because pretty much every place that I've been uses Windows, I am always concerned about security, especially because I usually cant restart public computers and boot my own Linux distro. With Prayaya, this eliminates most of the problems. Not only is it secure, its super easy.Check it out at http://en.prayaya.com/index.html and let me know what you think.

Collapse -
I do know, for a fact, that MS Office is Networkable.
by LucJPatenaude / July 12, 2010 4:57 PM PDT

First, you will have to be internet connected, then, via a modem/router, create a wireless network.

Since, MS Office 2007, you could network the apps of Office via the 'Cloud' of interconnectivity of wirelessly connected work-stations.

You should, really, check out the Microsoft Office Web-site for all the FAQs about how to properly network MS Office. Also, the 2010 version is about just around the corner in its availability(retail that is).

Doing the load up of one different program at a time for each workstation might just work. Word on the first, Excel on the second and, Presentation on the third.

Or, having to buy extra licenses in order to be able to install office for each workstation you currently have onto your Home Network, might be required.

Good luck with this project. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.