Peripherals forum

General discussion

Can i use my Bluetooth headset on my laptop

by undercover / May 28, 2005 8:41 PM PDT

Hello all,

Just a thought. I use a normal microphone headset with my laptop to communicate to my contacts via Yahoo. This setup is pretty good apart from the fact that i cannot move around my home whilst using it.

I recently came up with the idea of connecting my bluetooth headset that i use with my mobile phone. This would free me up from me desk and allow me to easily move around.

All went well with the connection, i.e. pairing up the headset to my laptop, then nothing. At this stage i cant use it.

I was wondering if it was indeed possible to use a bluetooth headset with a bluetooth enabled PC so that you can communicate.

Anyone had similar thoughts about this?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can i use my Bluetooth headset on my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can i use my Bluetooth headset on my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bluetooth Headset use on PC for VoIP
by hutchy69 / June 8, 2005 7:19 AM PDT

I have been trying the same experiment to get my BT Jabra200 headset to operate as headphones on my PC. The PC recognises the bluetooth device (WindowsXP Pro SR2) but I can not get any communication established to use it on my VoIP program 'SKYPE' it will only communicate with my mobile phone. If you, or anyone knows how to get this to work it would be a great breakthrough.
Regards, Bob.

Collapse -
Im glad im not the only one who has had this idea
by undercover / June 9, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

Hey,

Nah, no luck as yet. Ive spoken to a few people regarding this and they think it would be easier just to get a normal headset.

That still doesnt solve the problem. I want to be able to move around freely and without cables.

Collapse -
Bluetooth protocols
by one2three / July 13, 2006 7:51 PM PDT

I too have been struggling in the dark with Bluetooth. The general idea about Bluetooth is that it is just a wireless wire, a connection just like a simple cable. If two devices have bluetooth ''plugs'' then the magic bluetooth cable will connect them. Not so it seems.

I have a Plantronics M3000 bluetooth handsfree which I bought for use with my mobile. It works fine with the phone. Like others I got a bluetooth USB adapter (A-link) for the laptop and it didn't work with the handsfree. I tried a D-Link product and didn't work either much to the confusion of the in-store technical department guru.

After digging it appears that there are two protocols for these things: one is called Handsfree Protocol (HFP)the other Headset Protocol (HSP). Some USB adapters only support HSP. Hence the problem?

The Belkin F8T012/013 USB adapter ''should work with all headsets which support either or both the HSP (Headset) or HFP (Handsfree) bluetooth services'' according to their technical support staff. Bluetooth versions are backwards compatible as you probably know so v.2.0 will work with v.1.1 and v.1.0.

Having said that, I have yet to get hold of the Belkin adapter. They do not have a supplier in Nordic countries I am told by stores here in Finland, even though the Belkin web site says they do! To make matters worse, hardly anyone seems to know of this protocol issue so it's very hard to find out what protocols are supported by any particular USB adapter. The wondrous world of consumer electronics!

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Collapse -
Pairing Skype with Bluetooth headset
by gravejoker / June 11, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE:
by WE Sim / June 11, 2005 11:30 AM PDT

Yes, I've paired it with my laptop using Widcomm Bluetooth driver. Use it to listen to MP3 from my laptop. However, note that headset battery will drain pretty fast if use continuously.

"I was wondering if it was indeed possible to use a bluetooth headset with a bluetooth enabled PC so that you can communicate."

I think you may have to replace the bluetooth driver by one from Widcomm to handle this. Read here:-

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=2200

Collapse -
Reply to Can i use my Bluetooth headset on my laptop
by Wilt / June 17, 2005 11:59 PM PDT

I have had that idea as well. I think the problem with using internally-built Bluetooth connection in the laptop is that the VOIP software (or in my case, my mapping program with voice prompts and voice command recognition) is looking for input/output from the microphone and speaker ports, not the Bluetooth port. Jabra makes a Bluetooth adapter for non-Bluetooth phones that plugs into the handsfree mini jack on the phone. I think some sort of adapter to split the phone connector into one input and one ouput that plugs into the laptop would provide the connectivity to Bluetooth headset you want. Of course, right now that probably means a home-built signal splitter made from parts from the Radio Shack or other electronics store. I have the Jabra Bluetooth adapter, I guess I will run down to Radio Shack and try to cobble up a splitter in the next few weeks (gone on vacation in the interim).

Collapse -
Can i use my Bluetooth headset on my laptop--Yes, you can!
by zumbatoo / June 18, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

If you installed the Bluetooth support properly and ensured that the headset connects to the laptop, to make this work you need to tell the software (Skype, for example) to use "Bluetooth Audio" as the Audio In and Audio Out devices.

I use my Sony Ericsson Blueetoh headset with Skype: go to Options, then to Sound Devices; for Audio In I select "Bluetooth Audio", and the same for Audio Out. For Ringing I selected the laptop's sound card.

Collapse -
Help - Bluetooth not a choice
by smeyler / June 21, 2005 3:50 AM PDT

Thanks for the tip, but I have tried that a few times and only get Windows Audio as well as SigmaTel Audio as choices. Driver issue? Please help.

Signed,

Corded in Connecticut

Collapse -
Tried everything but no results from Jabra BT200
by hutchy69 / June 21, 2005 7:19 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for all your tips and suggestions but I have tried them all and had no luck so far. I have a Jabra BT200 which has been paired with my Desktop PC and recognised. However, I can not get any Audio in or out. The Bluetooth Radio Device setting does not recognise the Jabra BT200 - is this device not compatable with PAN (Personal Area Network) ? My Skype audio settings only show my soundcard (SoundBlaster) and the Windows Default as the two only choices of i/o. I have also tried to find that driver "WidComm" (or something) as a replacement driver for the Windows Bluetooth driver but I can only find discussion forums for it - Not the actual driver. To conclude I am using WindowsXP Pro SP2, Skype and a Jabra BT200 headset but no way can I get these to talk to one another never mind to me and my contacts. In the age of Blootooth technology, why is this proving to be such a problem. there must be thousands of of users trying to get this VoIP link to work wirelessly. All ideas welcome, please continue to research and help on this issue.
Hutchy.

Collapse -
Using a Bluetooth Headset with a PC
by Joe B / July 10, 2005 4:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
connecting to Skype using Bluetooth headset
by kjeld_hjortnaes / December 28, 2005 7:20 AM PST
Collapse -
bluetooth config
by marshalpull426 / July 16, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

i have read thur this. in the installation it goes into a wizzard for bluetooth configuration. i don't get and can't find this wizzard.

pat

Collapse -
Almost a year later and no solution
by pruiba / May 21, 2006 6:32 AM PDT

I own a different Jabra headset but am looking for how to get it recognized by XP Pro SP2 as a telephony headset to use with Skype. Now it's almost a year later and still no solution! Help!

Collapse -
Can i use my Bluetooth headset on my laptop- bluetooth audi
by marshalpull426 / July 13, 2006 11:53 AM PDT

where can i get the bluetooth audio software. it is not an option on my laptop.

Collapse -
Bluetake headset is awesome!!!!
by christ920 / February 1, 2007 4:22 AM PST

if your laptop doesnt have bluetooth bulid-in then you need to get a Bluetooth USB adaptor to make your laptop Bluetooth enable. the software will come with the USB adapter.
if your laptop has Bluetooth bulid-in, then the software should be already in your laptop.

i have a Bluetake stereo headphone and USB adapter.
i can listen to the music and also chat on my MSN.
it also work with my cell phone. it will auto switch to pick up the phone calls if you are listen to the music.

I got a Bluetake BT400GL headset for my girlfriend.
it's very small and specially in PINK color. =)
it has 15 hours talking time, and a recharging dock.
also, it has vibration alert. it's around $70 bucks
their website is www.bluetakeusa.com

Collapse -
talk via bluetooth in msn messenger
by amsi007 / March 17, 2008 6:10 AM PDT

my windows vista i have bluetooth transferring wizard can i use blue tooth headphone to talk on msn MESSANGER
has any one done this .plz any help will be useful.
thankyou in advance.

Collapse -
bluetooth audio?????????

i have tried to change the driver as you suggested, but there is no option for bluetooth audio in my drivers. i have searched the net for one to download including microsofts site with no success. where do i get this animal?

pat

Collapse -
Got some of this working...
by krisrao / March 10, 2007 7:12 AM PST

I have an IBM T60 with XP and which has the Widcom BT stack. I bought a Cardo Scala 700 BT headset since it can pair with two devices (cell phone and computer). Yahoo IM has a feature Actions>Call Setup that allowed me to ensure the speaker and mike signals were re-directed from my computer to the BT headset. Really cool but I want all audio to be transferred to my headset - and I cannot get it to work. Found some excellent suggestions at http://www.bluetoothpcheadsets.com/audioproperties.htm but it did not make the connection. Everyone is talking about this functionality - has no one got this to work? Thanks.

Collapse -
I found a way!!!!
by mjmorgan / March 17, 2007 11:48 AM PDT

I have a Motorola H300 headset, made specifically for phones. I was having the same problems as you guys.

After having my headset identified by my laptop. I went to quick connect and disabled the connection while my headset was still on. Then I enable the connection through the quick connect and I got a sound from my headset like I was getting a call. I answered through my headset and then the headset worked as both speaker and microphone.

Hope this helps =)

Collapse -
Still confused
by darlinkaty / August 7, 2007 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I found a way!!!!

I have read through all suggested material, but I fear my problem is a bit more basic than most people here. I have an Inspiron 9300 by Dell that I am trying to connect to a Motorola h300 BT headset for phones.
First things first, how do I put my laptop into "search" mode for the bluetooth? I have a bluetooth light on my keyboard (that isn't lit) so I assume my laptop is already BT enabled, but I have no idea how to "turn it on" so that it can then seek my headset.
Can anyone help?

Collapse -
Blueant T8 Micro
by greenguy8 / January 30, 2008 12:06 PM PST

I did the same thing. I clicked on quick connect then disabled then enabled the bluetooth then my i heard my headset ringing so i pressed the answer button. Then after that I just setup my yahoo messenger to use bluetooth instead of the system default. Then it worked !

Collapse -
greenguy8 can u plsss help me....
by chito0730 / April 14, 2008 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Blueant T8 Micro

i cant set up the bluetooth headset on my yahoo messenger but it works on my mobile phone and on my laptop when i use media player... i really wanted to use it on my yahoo messenger because i bought it for that purpose... thak you so much for listening!

Collapse -
motorola h300 setup in windows vista
by mukpatel / June 28, 2008 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Blueant T8 Micro

where is quick connect in Windows vista?

Collapse -
Audio thru H300
by unnipan / July 1, 2008 6:49 AM PDT

How do you do the quick disconnect and connect in Windows XP.
Thanks

Collapse -
Bluetooth
by Phil Crase / June 28, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

If your system doesn't have a bluetooth antenna built in, no but the good news is, get a bluetooth adapter, USB input and you are in business. Shop around, they are not that expensive.

Collapse -
yes, it is possible
by ritesh_v / July 30, 2008 9:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Bluetooth Profile
by tmotech / August 2, 2008 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: yes, it is possible

Just to let you know that all bluetooths were not designed the same. The bluetooth headset that you use to talk on your phone isn't the same as a bluetooth stereo headset in which you can, listen music thru it. From reading the previous posts no one mentions this fact. So for example, if you were trying to use a non stereo headset for let's say gaming purposes, unless it is a stereo bluetooth you won't hear any audio on it. To test this try listening to music from your phone with a non bluetooth stero headset, it won't work. It can't stream the audio from it. My suggestion would be to invest in a bluetooth headset that offers stereo on it. You should then be able to use it on your computer(as long as it has bluetooth or bluetooth adapter)

Collapse -
Bluetooth Profile

Just to let you know that all bluetooths were not designed the same. The bluetooth headset that you use to talk on your phone isn't the same as a bluetooth stereo headset in which you can, listen music thru it. From reading the previous posts no one mentions this fact. So for example, if you were trying to use a non stereo headset for let's say gaming purposes, unless it is a stereo bluetooth you won't hear any audio on it. To test this try listening to music from your phone with a non bluetooth stero headset, it won't work. It can't stream the audio from it. My suggestion would be to invest in a bluetooth headset that offers stereo on it. You should then be able to use it on your computer(as long as it has bluetooth or bluetooth adapter)

Collapse -
Bluetooth Profile

Collapse -
Bluetooth Profile

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.