Mac OS forum

General discussion

Can I upgrade os x 10.5.8 to 10.7?

by ritamcbride / December 11, 2011 11:34 PM PST

I have discovered a program I would like to use needs 10.6 or 10.7 to run. I have no knowledge of the different versions and therefore don't know the advantages or disadvantages of upgrading my version.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I upgrade os x 10.5.8 to 10.7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I upgrade os x 10.5.8 to 10.7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As long as your computer is capable
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 9:00 AM PST

of running 10.6 or 10.7 then yes, you can upgrade it to either one.

Collapse -
Sure about that?
by Jimmy Greystone / December 12, 2011 9:29 AM PST

Sure about that? A quick perusal of Apple's website shows 10.6 retailing for the same $30 now as it has since it was released. Maybe you were thinking of 10.5?

Collapse -
(NT) Ooops, my bad. Thinking 10.5
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 12, 2011 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Sure about that?
Collapse -
to mrmacfixit
by airsan / February 27, 2012 9:10 AM PST

What is this soft wear called?

Collapse -
to mrmacfixit
by airsan / February 27, 2012 9:11 AM PST

What is this program called?

Collapse -
The software is called Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: to mrmacfixit
Collapse -
up grade from 10.5.8 to 10.6
by colt9 / May 16, 2012 10:13 PM PDT

Most will not be able to up grade because there unit will not work with the new 10.7 system from apple. The processor is not compatible with upgrades. They do not tell you up front only after you buy the up grade and it will not work do they tell you. Shame on Apple.

Collapse -
To be fair
by Jimmy Greystone / May 17, 2012 12:57 AM PDT

To be fair, and I'll preface this quickly by stating that I think you do have a valid point, the system requirements for Lion are pretty widely available, so really is it Apple's fault that you didn't take 5-10 minutes to track this information down first? That being said, it would be fairly trivial for them to add a check of your system specs into the app store, that would pop up a message saying your system does not meet the requirements for Lion. Thus preventing a lot of erroneous purchases, like I suspect is driving your post. They could even roll this out across all apps in the app store, where the app store program simply parses the system requirements provided by the developers, checks that against the specs of your system, and then when your system doesn't make the cut, a message pops up saying as much.

It would be a fairly trivial feature to add, the hardest part would be getting existing apps without much in the way of system requirements to have system requirements added. There are various ways of contending with that situation as well. So one does have to kind of wonder why this feature seems conspicuously absent from every app store-like program. The only exception I can think of is the Mozilla extension library, which manages to automatically disable the downloading of extensions that would not work with your browser version. If Mozilla can do it, then surely Apple can as well.

Collapse -
This sort of thing is already available in the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: To be fair

iPod/iPad/iPhone App store.

If your version of iOS does not match the requirements, it will not download it.

Not sure it is on everything but certainly on the few things that I have tried to download for my original iPhone

Collapse -
Like said
by Jimmy Greystone / December 12, 2011 9:35 AM PST

Like said, it MAY work, but it may also not work. Apple's upgrade system is really only designed to work with the previous version, so when you try and upgrade from two or more versions back, the results are unpredictable. Sometimes it works without a hitch, sometimes it just makes a mess of things.

Now, one minor detail, since you're running an OS version which leaves at least some degree of ambiguity. If you have a PowerPC based system (G4 or G5), then 10.6 or later will not run on your system. For 10.7 you need a system with at least a Core 2 Duo (a Core Duo won't cut it). You don't give any details on the system you're using, so if you go to the Apple icon in the menu bar, select About This Mac, and you don't see Core 2 Duo or Xeon next to where it says Processor, then 10.7 will not run on your system. A Core i3/i5/i7 would also work, but if you had a unit with one of those CPUs, it would already be running 10.6 or 10.7.

Collapse -
It is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
by ritamcbride / December 12, 2011 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Like said

and memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Version 10.5.8

Collapse -
The safest route
by Jimmy Greystone / December 12, 2011 10:20 PM PST

The safest route would be to buy a retail copy of 10.6 and upgrade to that first. Then you want to download the 10.6.8 v1.1 combo update off Apple's site, and install that. After which you could use the app store to download 10.7 and install it. Or you could just stick with 10.6 if you want, since that was a supported OS version for AIR.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Jimmy:)
by ritamcbride / December 12, 2011 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: The safest route
Collapse -
Snow Leopard Required
by terryh2113 / December 16, 2011 7:18 PM PST

You Cannot Do A Direct Upgrade From Leopard ! Leopard Does Not Have The Mac App. Store. The Mac App Store Is The Only Place You Can Buy Lion. You Will First Have To Go To macsales dot com; & For $29.00 Buy Snow Leopard. After Snow Leopard Is Installed Get All The Updates The Final Update 10.6.8 Will Include The Mac App. Store. From There You Can Purchase The Lion Download For $29.00. That The Only Way It Will Work Wit No Problems. Hope That Helps.

Collapse -
Not necessarily
by Jimmy Greystone / December 16, 2011 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Snow Leopard Required

Not necessarily. Someone could presumably go to another machine, one with the App Store on it, log in with their iTunes account info, buy, download, and BURN a copy of the Lion installer to a DVD, then take it back home and use that to install. All perfectly legal, if a bit unlikely and convoluted. Come to think of it, Apple should probably consider offering such a service in their retail stores for customers who don't have broadband. I'm calling dibs on the idea! Silly

Collapse -
Just a question,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 16, 2011 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily

the App Store app is sitting in the Applications folder of Snow Leopard and above.
It is not integrated into the OS, it's just a stand alone app.

Collapse -
by ritamcbride / December 18, 2011 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Just a question,

oh dear, oh my...I love reading your comments to each other and seeing the logic and thinking going on:) However, I am left a bit confused on what is available to me and what course of action is the best/simplest one for me to follow.

Collapse -
(NT) Email my profile
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 19, 2011 8:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Apple does sell
by Jimmy Greystone / December 19, 2011 12:26 PM PST

Apple does sell some kind of USB bootstrap device for installing 10.7, but you still have to download it, so unless you have some kind of broadband, just forget it.

Given your situation, simply buying a copy of 10.6, which still comes on a DVD, might be your best bet. That'll probably last you until you're ready to buy a new unit which will come with 10.7 or 10.8 (if it's out by then) loaded from the factory and solve that little problem for you.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year:)
by ritamcbride / December 20, 2011 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Apple does sell
Collapse -
Interesting question
by Jimmy Greystone / December 19, 2011 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: Just a question,

Interesting question, and I'd test that out if I had a reliable means of finding a unit running 10.5. Unless it's tied to some API that is only in 10.6, I don't see why it couldn't work. At least on the x86 side of things, I'm sure they never bothered making it a universal binary. If I had 10.5 install media, I'd try loading it into a VM to see what happened, but I don't.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.