Computer Help

Question

Can i upgrade my gpu in my laptop (Acer Aspire e1-571-6454)

by brads93 / February 12, 2013 7:09 AM PST

Here are the specs

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 1760 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Just wondering if i can upgrade the graphics card. I know graphics cards are hard to install in laptops so i might have to get someone experienced to do it but i was hoping someone could point me in a better direction. I intend to use it for gaming, the first game i want to play is gta4 on the highest graphics settings as well as some mods.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can i upgrade my gpu in my laptop (Acer Aspire e1-571-6454)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can i upgrade my gpu in my laptop (Acer Aspire e1-571-6454)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A quick look says no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 7:12 AM PST

I don't see any card slot or for that matter a card at all. It looks like a single board with everything on it inside.

You may want to explore if you can return this for a gaming laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe
by S20000 / November 4, 2013 7:30 PM PST
In reply to: A quick look says no.

The intel Hd gpu is Not a real card that you can replace, its a Part inside the cpu, Check if you can upgrade your cpu to a better cpu with better integrated graphics

Collapse -
Yeah, no
by Jimmy Greystone / November 4, 2013 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe

Yeah, no. Laptops generally have very little in the way of upgrade potential, Acer being among the worst of the bunch on that front. Even assuming the OP could replace the CPU, it would have to be from the same generation, so the IGP would be the exact same as any other. It's not like you can just upgrade a second or third gen Core i3/5/7 CPU to a 4th gen just by popping in the new chip. If the BIOS/UEFI doesn't have the microcode needed to bootstrap the CPU, your laptop isn't booting, end of story.

Acer is a company that basically builds a new model unit every 6-8 months, after which it completely abandons the previous model. You're lucky if you can get warranty repair parts on a unit less than a year old, so forget about BIOS/UEFI updates to support newer model CPUs. Even if they did, you'd still run into the problem of how the heatsink and the rest of the laptop thermals are designed around the heat dissipation rates of the CPUs on offer with that model. So if any new CPU you put in generates more heat, it will overwhelm the cooling system on the laptop causing problems. If we were talking about a custom built desktop machine there MIGHT be something to your idea, but in cases like that you'd be better off just popping in an actual video card anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.