Mac OS

General discussion

Can I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard or Snow Leopard?

by loko1901 / March 7, 2011 10:21 PM PST

Hi

I have spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out a solution to my mac problem but can't seem to find anything.

I have just bought a new Ipod nano but when I connect it to my computer, itunes won't recognise it because the ipod requires itunes version 10.0 or later. I then tried to download the latest version of itunes, but it wouldn't install on my computer because the package type requires mac os x 10.5.

I read some articles about upgrading to snow leopard (mac os x 10.6) but I don't think my system will support it. I'm on a macbook purchased in early 2007 - here are the details:
Mac os x version 10.4.11
Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Startup disk: Macintosh HD

From the information I've come across, I understand you need at least 1 GB of RAM to run snow leopard. So my question is:

(a) Is it possible for me to upgrade from Tiger to either Leopard or Snow Leopard based on the specs of my macbook and which is the better option (all I care about is itunes)?
(b) How do I go about doing this?
(c) Is there an easier way for me to get my music onto my ipod besides upgrading?

I would really appreciate any help on this. I'm stuck and all I want to do is put music on my new ipod and go for a run!! All I can think to do is buy a new mac...which is

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You would need
by Jimmy Greystone / March 7, 2011 10:30 PM PST

You would need more RAM. Snow Leopard will run on only 512MB of RAM, but it won't really run that well. Have a system with almost identical specs as yours in my "waiting on parts" collection at work. I can tell you that things like the DVD player will skip and stutter if you try running 10.6 with only 512MB of RAM.

I'd say your best option really would be to get a new computer, the 2007 MacBooks were a tempermental bunch to put it mildly, but if you're on a bit of a budget, you'd need at least another 512MB of RAM. I think in probably 99% of cases, people can upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 with no issues, but every now and then some people run into problems. So, make sure you have a backup if your only option is a clean install. You should really have a backup regardless, but make sure it's up to date.

Collapse -
upgrade from tiger to snow leopard
by cdazzo / March 9, 2011 10:13 PM PST

Yes to what Jimmy said but no to the rest.
You have an intel processor, you'll be fine. just get yourself at least 2GB RAM but I'd try to get 4 if you can.
Most important thing though... you need to purchase "the box set" from Apple. This is the only way to upgrade from Tiger to SL.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I doubt
by Jimmy Greystone / March 9, 2011 10:26 PM PST

I doubt that system can even accept 4GB of RAM. Maybe 2GB, but that would likely be it. It would definitely be worth verifying the system will even take 4GB of RAM before you go buying it just to find out it doesn't.

If the OP were to call Apple, even though that system is long out of warranty, they should be able to be able to have someone tell them how much RAM it will accept. But based on the specs, it's got to be one of the first generation MacBooks. No younger than 2007, but quite possibly an 06 model.

Collapse -
Can I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
by cdazzo / March 10, 2011 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: I doubt

Actually the 2006 model will take up to 3GB of RAM the the 2007 model will take up to 6Gb of non-apple RAM but definitely take 4GB of apple RAM.
Purchase the "box set" from Apple and you'll be at SL. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks and follow up q
by loko1901 / March 10, 2011 9:17 AM PST

Thanks everyone for your advice - much appreciated. I'll give apple a call if I can (in Singapore for the next couple of months and they don't seem to have apple stores here). I'll probably end up putting a bit more RAM on my notebook.

So no one thinks that I can just download Leopard (os x 10.5) on my specs?I'm not sure that the apple online store sells Leopard anymore so may need to find somewhere to download it on the net...

Collapse -
I think they do
by Jimmy Greystone / March 10, 2011 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks and follow up q

I think they do sell 10.5 still, but you have to call and specifically ask for it, and it will be in the 150USD range, whereas 10.6 is like 30USD.

Not really sure what the "box set" is, considering there's only one retail distribution of any Apple OS. There won't likely be any system restore discs for your model, and those are all keyed to specific system types so not like you can just grab one, pop it in, and go. There are ways around it, but it wouldn't be legal in your particular case. Same with downloading 10.5 off the Internet. It could be done, but it would be a pirated copy and should you choose to pursue that particular course of action then this discussion will come to an abrupt end because that sort of thing isn't tolerated here.

I'd also be a bit wary about trying to put more RAM in the system than it's designed to handle. Especially on an older system, you never know what the results are going to be. Seriously. I work as an Apple repair tech, and a good chunk of what I do is deal with older systems. They tend to get cranky in their old age. And Snow Leopard will run pretty well on only 1-2GB of RAM. I run Snow Leopard Server on an old Mac Pro with only 2GB of RAM, and it functions just fine. You're of course free to completely disregard that advice and push your luck as much as you want, I'd just wait until you're out of a region that is known for counterfeit goods. Hopefully you didn't buy that iPod in Singapore, because people in that region have been known to go dumpster diving at factories and sell units that didn't pass quality testing for one reason or another that they "liberated" from the dumpster. Tough as it may be, it might really be best to simply wait until you're somewhere where Apple has a retail presence before doing anything. That way you can be reasonably certain what you think you're buying is what you're actually buying.

Collapse -
Snow Leopard Box Set
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 10, 2011 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: I think they do

contains Snow Leopard, iWork and iLife

P

Collapse -
Okay
by Jimmy Greystone / March 10, 2011 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Snow Leopard Box Set

Okay, but it still doesn't answer the question of how that's magically going to work when just the straight retail OS disc won't. Especially considering they're going to be exactly the same thing. Pressed at the same facility from the same master image, just put into different boxes. But, if someone thinks there's a difference, then maybe they'd be interested in this bridge I have for sale. Heck of a deal... I even recently had an exterminator in to clear out all the trolls living under it!

Collapse -
Your question,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 11, 2011 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

indicated that you did not know what the "box set" was.

My post told you what it was.

For some reason, if you call Apple and tell them that you want to upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.6.x, they will tell you that you need to purchase the "box set"

Perhaps that is where the believe comes from.

However, the OP was not under such an illusion, just the one poster who may have been informed by an Apple Store employee.

P

Collapse -
It might be
by Jimmy Greystone / March 11, 2011 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Your question,

It might be that they figure some old incompatible version of iLife would be installed. Or it's just a classic upsell technique. Tell people you need this, and only if they ask if they REALLY need all that, tell them about the cheaper alternative. Which walks a mighty fine line between sleazy but legal and bait and switch. Then again, it might just be that some of the people at the Apple stores are idiots. Let's face it, retail rarely attracts the best and brightest, and if one of those people happens into the job, they're usually out of there as soon as anything even moderately better comes along.

In any case, here it is for posterity: There's no difference between the OS disc in the "box set" and the plain 30USD OS only disc. So anyone who comes across this post later via google or something else, will not buy unwanted fluff. If you WANT iLife and/or iWork, the "box set" is probably a pretty good deal, but absolutely not necessary for upgrading the OS.

Collapse -
B******t!
by klor5 / March 11, 2011 7:03 PM PST

You can most definitely buy the $30 (aprox) and upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard.I now many people who have done this without a hitch.

This by the way is a great place for low cost,high quality RAM: macsales(Dot com).

Good luck!

Collapse -
Ooops!
by klor5 / March 11, 2011 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: B******t!

The post above was supposed to be a rely to cdazzo's post No.5.

Also the online store I mentioned ships all over the world (Just about anyway).

Collapse -
macbook
by mbarrington / July 9, 2013 10:22 PM PDT

I've been trying to find the same info.
i have the same model with 512mb ram (2x 256mb ddr2) the macbook will take 4gb ram if its intel,
i've purchased 2 x2gb ram off amazon cheap ram cards however they don't work so was told that the ram
has to be mac specific cards is this true?

also found swapping out my 60gb hdd to 128 sdd was a great help with boot time and opening programs.
if you want to do this get yourself a caddy and a ssd then download carbon copy cloner full feature 30day trial.
it's like shoving a rocket up its rear end which might help with and lagging on newer osx

Collapse -
RAM from Crucial or RAMJet is the
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: macbook

safest way to go.
The RAM does not have to be Mac specific, it just has to meet the Apple specs, just like any other machine.

If you have any more questions about what you are trying to do, please start a new thread instead of hijacking an old one.

P

Collapse -
Replacing RAM and finding out what to buy
by Ellamental66 / February 21, 2014 11:24 PM PST

Hi all

Please see this site: www.crucial.com

I have just been there. It has an app which scans your computer and in seconds tells you exactly what you can do and what to buy.

My Imac (late 2006) can take a max of 3 mb and so I have just bought 2 cards - 1 for 1gb and 1 for 2gb for a total of £40 with free posting.

Happy girl now! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.