Computer Help

Question

can I speed up a Pentium4, besides 75mph to the dump?

by b_samms / January 5, 2013 7:33 PM PST

My computer runs very slow. My AV program"s quick scan takes a half hour, minimum. I want to get anything off that I don't need and might be slowing it down. I'm not a gamer, I don't run a lot of software, Right now I'm trying to determine if I need the dot net Framework software (I'm leaning heavily towards NO),, just thinking that whatever I can get off this dinosaur will be an improvement. I've changed my AV (dumped McAfee) and shut HP down in task manager. I suspect Itunes is killing me now, but I don't know. I'm afraid my old Dell Dimension 4550 (pentium4) is the real problem ....am I right ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I speed up a Pentium4, besides 75mph to the dump?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I speed up a Pentium4, besides 75mph to the dump?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Dell specs are?
by Willy / January 5, 2013 8:01 PM PST

Well, you're doing what you can s/w wise. Though, I would recommend you keep the .dot framework s/w, that's required for better MS connections, etc.. Since, its present it will probably request itself again to reload via any MS updates and if running XP(updates) will no longer be supported.

As for the Dell 4550, you need to recheck the specs and what you have now. If this is socket 775 based, then you maybe able to replace the cpu, itself. Compared to what you now have, buy similar yet better cpu. Though, I strongly suggest you do a bios update to allow the max. latitude in accepting any newer cpu and/or range of cpus available. The max. cpu it states it can support is 3.06Ghz. Notice, that its a Intel 845PE chipset which via Intel can be updated as well or as another help source, plus the cpu comparison. You can't do better than what it states in normal setting. Anything is up to you and any daring setup. So, if you have a 2.2ghz cpu now, then a 2.4Mhz won't be a big improvement, but the 2.8Ghz or better should see something better than what you had. If you have any Celeron, a full P4, is bound to be better. Of course, having the max. ram should help as well. If all this is cost effective(used items) go for it. Otherwise, spend you $ looking at newer PCs. Used dual-core should be reasonable, check eBay or Craigslist for pricing.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Re: speed up Pentium 4
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 8:49 PM PST

If you go back to factory conditions using the recovery media or partition, it will be as fast as it was when you bought it. If that isn't fast enough, it might be time to add some RAM (you didn't tell how much it has, nor what OS it runs). If that doesn't help it's better to buy a new one.

By the way, uninstalling programs that don't run, doesn't speed up the machine in any way.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.