Computer Help forum

Can i run hp pavillion g4 24/7 ?

by usamaminhas007 / September 4, 2013 8:21 PM PDT

HI everyone !
Need to confirm that can i run my laptop 24/7?
Its Hp Pavillion g4 (i7, 2.2ghz , 6gb ram , 750 hdd)
Also how i keep it healthy (working wise ) for longer time without reinstalling the operating system (currently has windows 7)
And i need to know that what are risks if i run it 24/7

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can i run hp pavillion g4 24/7 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can i run hp pavillion g4 24/7 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) Make sure you keep it cool
by glb613 / September 4, 2013 11:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Willy / September 4, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

Laptops have never been intended to run 24/7 as the user certainly isn't running 24/7. Even, if you wanted to, the end result is that supposedly it would hibernate or sleep but since laptops aren't that well cooled for LONG periods it could only have negative results sooner or later. Since if you made it run 24/7 it's not going anywhere, a desktop or more typical PC would be better.

You gave no clue for its usage will be. That may be more intuitive as to what is best for the purpose. As already stated, cooling is an issue. If you plan to do this then increase or improve cooling in some way. Come back with you results months from now and tell us your result as others may go a similar route. But for now I wouldn't recommend it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not really
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2013 11:53 PM PDT

But we have used them as temporary servers so let's share how we do that.

Surprise!!! We limit Windows use of the CPU cores to drop heat production. The usual i7 is a quad core with HT so we'll drop the CPU core limit to 4. Here's how:

Next you'll put up on some laptop cooling pad.

For temporary work that should be fine.

What is this about reinstalling the OS? I only get to do this after folk use registry cleaners.

Collapse -
The question isn't
by Jimmy Greystone / September 5, 2013 10:09 AM PDT

The question isn't whether you can, it's whether you should or possibly even how long could you do it.

It's probably not the wisest of ideas to run laptops 24/7. Obviously you can, but it's likely going to shorten the expected life of the unit.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.