Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

PC Hardware

General discussion

can i run a router off another router?

by nivlac79 / September 22, 2005 12:19 PM PDT

We have Cat 5 through our whole house, which is connected to a router (wired) that runs off the cable modem. I would like to have additional ethernet connection in my room, so can I hook up a 2nd router (or ethernet switch? not sure which one) in the house to the rj45 cable via cat 5?? And what is the difference between a router and a ethernet switch?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can i run a router off another router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can i run a router off another router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need a switch
by Stan Chambers / September 22, 2005 1:48 PM PDT

I won't try to explain the difference between a switch and router as you can read about it at any website that deals in them. Just think of the switch as a splitter.

Collapse -
lots of options
by linkit / September 22, 2005 2:54 PM PDT

The house is already wired--the hardest part is done! The simple thing to do is to connect all computers to one router and then connect the router to the Internet. You really want only one device acting as a router per network.

Some other options:

1. REPLACE your wired router with wireless router containing a multi-port switch.
2. Make a wired connection form your router to a switch
3. Make a wired connection from your router to another router that is capable of acting like switch.
4. Make a wired connection from your router to a Wireless Access Point.
5. Make a wired connection from your router to a wireless router (you can tell it to act like a multi-port switch + wireless access point).

Educate yourself on the router's capabilities before purchasing. Also, you will make your life much easier if all of your equipment is from the same mfg.

Collapse -
Check with the manufacturer...
by jackintucson / September 23, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

I daisy-chained my Belkins. Use cat5 port-4 to chain to next router.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Router to Router
by globalcali / September 23, 2005 11:47 AM PDT

Remember, like items require a crossover cable. Make sure that your primary router acts as a gateway and run the DHCP in it for the second router unless you're running NAT (Network Addressing Translation). Make sure that you turn the DHCP off on the second router and everything should be good to go. Just remember that router (unlike anything else) requires a way in and a way out. If you only have half of the puzzle...you only have half of the picture.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) crossover cable - system to system only
by billzhills / September 24, 2005 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Router to Router
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.