Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can I run 2 firewalls at the same time (more).......

by tym / July 4, 2006 12:49 AM PDT

Hi experts,
I'm using Norton Internet Security's fire wall so can I still run Window's firewall as well? Will there be any conflicts? I notice Norton will highlight that when I'm running more than one firewall when I start up. Thanks

Regards,
Tym

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I run 2 firewalls at the same time (more).......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I run 2 firewalls at the same time (more).......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tym
by tomron / July 4, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

The rule of thumb is one FW and one AV

Tom

Collapse -
From what I've seen...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2006 1:06 AM PDT

Norton and Zonealarm will disable the Microsoft firewall for you. So unless you go in a tweak it, it should be just fine.

Bob

Collapse -
OS firewall
by trekker75 / July 5, 2006 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: From what I've seen...

Bob, I use Zonealarm Security Suite and the default setting has the Windows Firewall "on". ZA uses it to detect suspicious behaviour when a program starts another or connecting to the net.
Gary

Collapse -
Interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2006 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: OS firewall

How do you know that ZoneAlarm uses the Window Firewall when a program starts or tries to connect to the internet?

ZoneAlarm usually does this itself, without calling up any other security application. If you see a pop-up by your System Tray near the clock which is yellow, and has ZoneAlarm as a header, then it is ZA that is doing the work.

However, if some other notice appears, that may well be the Windows Firewall. But I am not sure that the two firewalls are communicating with each other and cooperating. Rather, I would guess they may be conflicting.

Mark

Collapse -
You can...
by jnbhoward / July 4, 2006 1:10 AM PDT

But doing so won't give you any additional protection. You may allow Program X through the firewall on Norton, but not the Windows firewall, and then spend many frustrating hours trying to figure out why Program X won't run properly.

It's best to have just a single firewall. What's even better, is taking some time to learn firewall basics so you can configure it more effectively. A firewall isn't much good if you poke a number of very large holes in it. A mistake all too common among users of software firewalls which make it all too easy to do. Then you're left with the dangerous situation of thinking you have considerably more protection than you actually do.

Collapse -
Thank You all for your help.
by tym / July 5, 2006 1:21 AM PDT

Collapse -
Router
by trekker75 / July 5, 2006 5:06 AM PDT

Tym, in these days a software firewall is not a luxury but maybe you should consider adding a router with a hardware firewall as well. I use a router in conjunction to Zonealarm's firewall. Please note that not all routers have a firewall. One benefit is a router can mask or stealth all your ports (all 65,535 of them) so a passing baddie won't see your PC on the net. Hope I'm not confusin' you more.
Gary

Collapse -
Agree on the Router
by rwbms-socal / July 7, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

Tym,
I defintely agree with Gary. Most of the major software firewall companies (ZA, McAfee, Norton)recommend not to run two software firewalls as they can conflict with each other and actually decrease the effectiveness of the firewall. Additionally, there are many inexpensive routers (wireless included) that have excellent hardware firewalls that not only mask any computers behind them but are also very customizable for your protection needs.

Robyn

Collapse -
I do I know ?
by paradis00 / July 7, 2006 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Router

How can I check if my router has a firewall when I don't have the instruction manual?
Mine is a TRENDnet TEW-432BRP.

Collapse -
Have you tried Trendnet's Web site?
by JamesJ / July 10, 2006 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I do I know ?

A Google search for the model number you gave turned up this page for that router:

http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TEW-432BRP.htm

They describe it as a firewall router, so, yes, it apparently does have a firewall.

As for your missing manual, if you go to their download section and select that model number, there are links to d/l's for a "Data Sheet", a FAQ, a "Quick Installation Guide" and a "User's Guide".

James

Collapse -
Shouldn't need too
by Glenda / July 6, 2006 3:24 PM PDT

Choose which one you like the best. Hint: it wouldn't be windows firewall Devil

Collapse -
Why 2 firewalls?
by wayner / July 7, 2006 1:46 AM PDT

Two firewalls will not allow you to receive any emails for you to read. It will also make downloading any programs very difficult.

Collapse -
Two Fire Walls
by AppletonLLC / July 7, 2006 7:04 AM PDT

I understand that one FW and one AV is the rule; hackers don't follow rules; why should we.

I run my own Accounting Firm.....I run Windows FW and Nortons FW; run more than one AntiVirus....run Windows Defenders, Adware SE, Spybot...and a couple of others.

Worth it? No doubt. Someone tried to hack my computer on the 4th....no avail....norton and windows caught it....sent the email message to the companies and they replied.....and...hacker has been tracked.

Don't underestimate viruses/hackers/....don't overestimate that one solution works...use them and if u r a true "teckie"....then u can make them all work together seamlessly.

Collapse -
Two FWs and 5 AVs
by tony-one / August 22, 2008 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Two Fire Walls

Could you show me how to pull that off?

Collapse -
yes and no...
by Kai_digo / August 10, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

my mom's computer starting conflicting after she used norton and xp's service pack.
the 2 firewalls began to fight and slow her computer down to where logging on was nearly impossable.
her IT guy at work got rid of the windows firewall but then she forgot and downloaded an monthly upgrade and now were back to square 1... is there a program that assigns which firewall is first and which is second ??? or is she going to haft to quit norton and just roll with xp's?

Collapse -
Something's amiss with this story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2006 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: yes and no...

The current Norton will disable XP's native firewall on install.

One would have to force this but I've seen Norton disable it again.

"IT guy at work got rid of the windows firewall"

This is even more unbelievable. While the XP firewall can be turned off, there is no add/remove to toss it out entirely.

Links? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=remove+xp+firewall&btnG=Google+Search

If we take the word "remove" to be close in meaning to "disable" then the claim is passable but that's not English.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by Kai_digo / August 10, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

yea i ment disabled...

it was an older version of norton.
since the time is up and my mom needs to buy it again or update her subscription .

if she does will it help the situation?

Collapse -
If that was my machine I would...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

Rip the Norton out and install Zone Alarm. Yes one may have to click allow or deny a few times till it settles in, but those old Norton Firewalls were twitchy at times.

Bob

Collapse -
You should really........
by Trance_Zac / August 10, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

just let Norton be your firewall, as it diables XP's by default upon installation of Norton.
That's how it's supposed to work....Norton has a much stronger firewall than XP.......Just let it do it's thing.

Collapse -
Two firewalls?
by rchansdah / October 25, 2006 4:29 PM PDT

Hi,

It is always advised that one should not use two firewalls. Windows XP SP2 firewall can always be disabled, and may not give much additional power. I wanted a firewall something more than what NIS can give. Assuming that NIS cannot coexist with another firewall, I decided to go for Norton Antvirus 2007, and use another firewall. NAV 2007 has an inbound firewall(packet filter, program control, and internet worm protection). But I needed a firewall for outbound control as well. However, this adds to the dillemma of having two firewalls. I decided to install sunbelt kerio personal firewall 4. To my amazement, NAV2007 recognized SKPF4, and made necessary entries there in its configuration file, and entered it as an advanced firewall in the Norton protection center. If SKPF4 is not started, just start, and NPC would say that it is enabled. They have been workiing together peacefully so far.
Incoming connections are first processed by SKPF4, and then by NAV 2007 if they happen to reach there.

Hence, I presume one can use two firewalls if they recognize each other, and they are friends. Of course, one has to be careful with settings. Particularly, one should not meddle with
windows outgoing services which might crash the system.

Thanks,

-R. C. Hansdah

Collapse -
Two Firewalls
by international1000 / February 17, 2007 10:55 PM PST

I use Comodo pro firewall with windows XP running at the same time. This causes no problems at all, but I personally think that one good firewall is sufficient if set up correctly. I also have five Anti-Virus Programs on my computer, two of which are doing different things at the same time. i.e, Antivir PE running totally and Avast running without 3 of it's provders running. Avast protects my E-mail where antivir PE dosen't. I also have AVG, which I set up without the Resident Shield installed. I also have Clamwin and anti-Virus cleaner. I have run these programs together for a few months now without any conflict or slowing down of my Computer. Four of these Programs are used in Explorer, so I can scan a file etc with four different Anti-Virus programs. This is handy because each one picks up on different things.

International1000

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.