PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can I run 2 different graphics cards ?

by Pumpkinhead / July 17, 2007 10:26 PM PDT

I think I may already know the answer but....

Can you have 2 different graphic cards on the same system?
I know you can't run them (different cards) in SLI, but could you I have two installed but only 1 "abled" and the other " disabled " in device manager.

The reason I ask is that I have a free graphics card that I won. It is an ATI ALL-IN-Wonder that I want to use to transfer video to DVDs. It is a PCI-E x16 (256mb)and says it will be good for games also.

I was wondering if I could have another nVidia card just for gaming ?
Then 'switch' between the two ?

Intel Core 2Duo 6400/2 GB Corsair RAM/ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard/ZALMAN CNPS9500 CPU fan/Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB Drive /ATI ALL-A-Wonder x600 PRO

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I run 2 different graphics cards ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I run 2 different graphics cards ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
with an sli or crossfire mobo
by ramarc / July 18, 2007 12:30 AM PDT

you should be able to run both. both will be active at all times though so you'll need two monitors.

Collapse -
I have an SLI MB but....
by Pumpkinhead / July 18, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

...I thought that for SLI capabilities, the 2 GPU's had to be identical.

Am I wrong about that ?

Collapse -
for sli operation, the cards have to be identical
by ramarc / July 18, 2007 4:07 AM PDT

but you can still run two different cards to drive 2 seperate monitors.

Collapse -
be cautious though
by ozos / July 18, 2007 4:00 PM PDT

Sometimes the ATI and nVidia drivers don't play entirely nicely together, so be careful how you configure the system. When you go to install 3D applications, ensure the renderer you want to use is selected, etc.

You might consider just going to the AIW board (if it offers similar performance to the nV board you have right now) as your sole board, and bypass the driver headache.

Collapse -
Driver issues already.
by Pumpkinhead / July 19, 2007 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: be cautious though

I am still trying to run just my ATI graphics cards and I am having horrible issues. It made my wonder it an ATI card is compatable with my motherboard. It is a board based on the nVidia 650i chipset.

Could it be that my MB only wants a nVidia GPU ?

Collapse -
2 separent video cards
by meaps / May 25, 2010 7:03 AM PDT

hey i have a problem i have 2 sapphire radeon hd 3870's but one is gddr4 and the other is gddr3 i need help can i run these in cross fire on one monitor?? (and one driver installation)

Collapse -
Done with ATI ! Problems still exist though.
by Pumpkinhead / July 26, 2007 10:23 PM PDT

OK, I have had it with ATI and their screwy drivers ! I am going with nVidia. I got and installed a BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC card.
I un-installed all the old drivers and updated the latest drivers from nVidia's website. So all is well, right ?

Wrong !

I ran a benchmark test ( 3dMark06 ) and the PC locked up.
I don't know if it is a graphic driver issue, a MB issue, a memory issue, or an OS issue.
I did NOT receive any error messages to trace the problem.

This should not happen on a brand new system. Right ?

Collapse -
Static Charge :(
by Sam256 / June 29, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

If you instaled the card yourself maybe you forgot to discharge yourself before touching the PC's Componenets. One little charge of static to your Ram or any part could fry it.

Collapse -
(NT) Might be too late. Last post was July 2007
by VAPCMD / June 29, 2009 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Static Charge :(
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.