Linux forum

General discussion

Can i replace Linux with Win7 as primary OS

by nandukamal / March 19, 2013 4:08 AM PDT

Hi All,

I am basically a DBA ,like to perform lots of testing on my personal workstation(Lenovo Laptop). I am currently using Windows 7 and running all Linux machines using virtualbox or vmware. Am not satisified with performance of windows and many times it hangs while using vitural machines.

Is that i can consider replacing Linux as my primary OS in my laptop and run multiple virtual machines.
However, my concern is, whether i can use all other applications like skype etc., as we use in windows for normal media & entertainment stuff

Please suggest

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can i replace Linux with Win7 as primary OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can i replace Linux with Win7 as primary OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes you can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2013 4:16 AM PDT

But that's probably not the real question. Let's say this is on some netbook or cheap laptop. I don't think you'll be happy.

Collapse -
by itsdigger / March 19, 2013 4:17 AM PDT

You can install Linux and run alongside windows, a dual boot and choose which OS you wish to use at startup

Collapse -
No problem
by 3rdalbum / March 22, 2013 8:29 PM PDT

I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to use Linux as your primary operating system.

Skype is available for Linux. There are music players and video players, as well as full media centre solutions like XBMC. Although you can't access the iTunes Music Store, there are plenty of other online music stores that are OS-independent.

Windows programs don't run in Linux of course. Some can be coaxed through a compatibility layer called Wine, but I'd say this is more of a last resort measure as most Windows programs don't work with it. Linux isn't intended as a way of running Windows programs, it's intended as an operating system in its own right. Linux has a wide variety of desktop programs, most available for free, to satisfy pretty much everything you need for a digital lifestyle today.

If you need Windows for anything, you can still have it sitting around as a dual-boot or put it into a virtual machine.

Laptops aren't ideal machines for running virtual machines; too slow due to the low-power components. This may be a source of the performance troubles you mention with VMs, but then it might not and the problem might just be Windows.

If you are going to try Linux as your primary operating system, just be aware that Linux is a very, very different operating system to Windows. Most of your Windows knowledge doesn't translate to Linux.

As far as which distribution to use, I recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint - the latter has a more traditional desktop and comes with codecs and DVD decryption support. Ubuntu is better supported, and a bit more modern and flashy. I'm sure a lot of people here will chime in and suggest their own favourite distributions, but Ubuntu and Mint are very popular and a good easy place to start.

Collapse -
ya you can!
by juliamed / April 8, 2013 5:25 PM PDT

hi there,
you can replace your linux with 7 but it isn't mean any because linux is better than 7 and the other application what are u talking about can be perform better with your linux. so from my opinion don't think about replacing!!

Collapse -
sounds like
by James Denison / May 4, 2013 9:42 AM PDT

you aren't leaving enough memory available for Windows when running the VM. You didn't say how much RAM you had, but should have at least 4 GB to run a virtual machine in XP and maybe more for Vista through Windows 8.

Collapse -
Ridiculous bloat
by 3rdalbum / May 4, 2013 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: sounds like

Windows XP runs decently in 256MB of RAM, and Windows 7 runs decently with 1 GiB of RAM. I don't see why you'd need more than 1.5 GiB of RAM to run an XP guest on a 7 host. I've had a Vista guest running on an Ubuntu host with 2 GiB.

Collapse -
4GB machine total
by James Denison / May 5, 2013 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Ridiculous bloat

I usually assign 1.5 GB to the VHD in the VM. The rest is left to run the emulator program and Windows. That has been sufficient for all the Linux distros I've tried, both using VM and VPC.

To nandukamal;
Of the various linux distros I've tried, my latest favorites are Mint and Kubuntu. If you run Mint, don't clk on the welcome screen unless planning to reboot afterwards. I'd suggest going to it's Administrative area and right clk on it's "Welcome Screen" link and uninstall it. It's buggy as can be. Mint 14 currently comes with both Firefox 16 and Thunderbird installed.

Kubuntu I've found more to my liking for Windows flavor, especially if you right clk on it's Start menu and choose to changee it to a more windows like appearance. Even after a standard installation, it works to boot various differing computers, just like the "Live CD or DVD" version will. Kubuntu doesn't come with Firefox nor Thunderbird installed, but using "apt-get" command in the terminal or the Muon Package Manager makes it easy enough to install.

Mint strips out a lot after installation making it more computer specific which means if you install to a USB flash drive as I do, it might not boot any computer but the one you installed it on. If installing to an internal hard drive however, this won't matter much to you.

Between the two, I prefer Kubuntu as a desktop install and Mint installed in a "Live USB" mode to a USB thumbdrive I can carry on my keychain. Mint has a good install program in it to accomplish creating a bootable "Live USB" onto a FAT32 formatted thumbdrive. What I do is then open it in GParted, shrink the first partition, create a second partition and save anything done in Mint to that second partition. Since windows file explorer doesn't see the second partition, it provides a bit of security for files placed by Mint into the second partition. Windows can write to the first partition, so leave enough space there and it can also be used for that purpose too.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.