Cameras forum

General discussion

Can I recover my photos?

by comateller / September 24, 2012 4:35 PM PDT

I plunged my SD card into my computer to transfer the pictures to my hard drive. Firstly, it came up all right and I also could see the pictures. But all of the sudden, an error came up and a message popped out and said the drive was unreadable, and asked me whether I need to format it right now. It seemed to get the SD card work again only by formatting it. But I have saved a great number of pictures on it, how could I just format it? Is there any way to get to them all back before the format?
Any idea could be appreciated! Please help!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I recover my photos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I recover my photos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: photo recovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 24, 2012 4:52 PM PDT

I'd try a recovery program like Recuva (free download). If that doesn't work, google PHOTO RECOVERY and pick your choice of free and paid tools. Be sure not to pay before you know the program indeed finds your pictures.

Kees

Collapse -
Download Recuva
by syncmaster632 / September 24, 2012 6:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Recuva?
by comateller / September 25, 2012 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Download Recuva

You think i could get back my photos by applying some recovery program, like Recuva.But i am not very familiar about these recovery program, especially Recuva. Moreover , it is freeware. The old saying always says:"No pains,no gain."so i am really doubtful about it, could you just tell me much more about it? or could you furtherly describe your situation to me?

Collapse -
Nod to Recuva.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Recuva?
Collapse -
i am sorry . you may misunderstan my words.
by tellrudys / September 25, 2012 4:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Nod to Recuva.

i am sorry , you may misunderstand my words. i merely want know much more information about Recuva, not to want a paid programs.usually , when encountering two things , one need to pay, the other do not need to pay, we definitely would choose free one. so ......
OK! in a one word , i will use Recuva to take a chance!

Collapse -
i have recovered my data.
by tellrudys / September 25, 2012 5:38 PM PDT

i have tried Recuva, it is absolutely awesome. even though the scanning had take sometime, i have get back all data now. and my SD card now also could work well again after format. it is really very easy and simple to go. i only click my mouse several times, and the following things are just processed by Recuva. thank you for all your advice and concerning.
is there any other freeware to recover our data such as photos, videos and files? i will save them for the future using.

Collapse -
In the CNET Storage forum, more titles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 5:55 AM PDT

Before I share the link, the titles range from free, free to try, payware and then recovery houses.

And again, before I share the link, we must NEVER install such to a drive we are attempting recovery from. In fact, any drive/device we are hoping to recover content from must NEVER be written to. We scape out our content before we write to it again.

With that out of the way, the CNET Storage forum "Lost and Found" sticky link follows.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-354911/lost-and-found-or-the-storage-forum-sticky/

Lots of good advice there, not all from me!
Bob

Collapse -
ok!
by comateller / September 27, 2012 1:21 PM PDT

OK ! i will write it down on my note book. thank you!
Is there any other one?

Collapse -
how about iCare Data Recovery Free
by comateller / September 27, 2012 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: ok!
Collapse -
Wish I have better words for that title. SPAMMER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 3:55 PM PDT

We have a SPAMMER in the forums that spammed that title. Moderators do not appreciate such and it can lead to mods writing avoid that title.

-> And that's what I'm going to write. Don't even consider it.
Bob

Collapse -
Happy for now, but ...
by richteral / October 3, 2012 2:03 AM PDT

To keep it that way, stop "plunging". Apply whatever your camera comes with - cable, cradle, etc., for transfers of photos. Just do not use the SD card naked, and you will be much more likely not to need Recuva again.
You should also replace the card as soon as it starts showing any corrupt files to make sure your precious pictures will be there, indeed.

Collapse -
Can I recover my photos
by nathanscot / September 24, 2012 10:03 PM PDT

<span class="GingerNoCheckStart">Hi,

Yes you can recover your photo from your SD memory card by using any good recovery software. Cnet also provide some of the best recovery software

Regards

Nathan<span class="GingerNoCheckEnd">

Collapse -
Maybe the photos are OK.
by deepdiver6 / September 29, 2012 4:44 AM PDT

I have had this problem also. Its not the chip which has been damaged. Its the software in your PC which is not able to read the card. If you put the chip back in your camera it shows the pictures are OK. You can simply use the USB cord to download to your PC and save the pictures. I don't use the PC to format my picture card, only the camera.
If you do use the PC, just make sure you can still access it from your camera.
I have also used a program called "Card Recovery". Thanks for the info re Recuva.

Collapse -
Idea
by btljooz / September 29, 2012 7:20 AM PDT

Maybe it's not your SD card. Maybe it's that your OS hiccuped and forgot how to read it. Plug your SD card into your computer. Then find Device Manage within your version of Windows. For instance, in XP right click My Computer on your desk top, select Properties, the Hardware tab and then click on the Device Manager Button. Look in the list for your SD Card (could be under 'Disk Drives') and if it has yellow question marks right click a question mark, read what is said and then if needed click the Troubleshoot button for more info. You may also need to update the drivers for the device by clicking on the Driver tab while there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.