Networking & Wireless

General discussion

can I pull a wireless signal through my wireless router?

by wookie3 / February 20, 2008 3:38 AM PST

ok, hang with me here...

1. I get MetroFi here in Portland, OR. A free city-wide wifi service, which is actually pretty good, I live 2 houses away from a hub.

2. I also have a Playstation 3, which recognizes the "MetroFi" signal but cannot connect b/c there is a login page when you first access the internet on a computer.

3. I was told by a MetroFi volunteer that I have to pull in the free Metro-Fi signal, through a wireless router (I have a Linksys Wireless Router that wifi'ed my old Comcast connection). Then the PS3 will be able to read it.

How can I accomplish this?! I have a Mac, fwiw.

please let me know if I can explain further.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I pull a wireless signal through my wireless router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I pull a wireless signal through my wireless router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Such as this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 3:42 AM PST

metrofi wifi modem -> (ethernet) -> WAN PORT of your router.

Bob

Collapse -
?
by wookie3 / February 20, 2008 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Such as this?

sorry Bob, I dont understand.

there is no MetroFi modem. It's a wireless signal that Im able to get in my house.

Collapse -
(NT) Then all you need is wifi cards, etc for each device?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: ?
Collapse -
still no comprendo
by wookie3 / February 20, 2008 5:15 AM PST

Thank you for helping Bob, but I just dont understand what you're trying to say. You write in a cryptic manner.

Everything is wifi ready...my router, Mac and PS3. It was all working fine when I had Comcast High-Speed, but obviously it came into my house as ethernet, then I routed it to the Linksys Wireless Router, which my PS3 was able to pick up.

Collapse -
Let me share a device I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: still no comprendo

It's a http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WirelessPrintServers/WGPS606.aspx

This device connects to some wifi WAP and then it's clients don't have to do anything as to logins. I can also connect one of those ports to the wan port of a router and viola, I have something just like your normal wifi router connected to broadband.

I know what you want to do but I don't know if you have the hardware. Maybe you wanted to use a PC but didn't tell. I could note "ICS" but with all the web docs about that I won't copy those here.

Bob

Collapse -
still ned help
by wookie3 / February 20, 2008 7:32 AM PST

thanks Bob, but I would like to use my current hardware. I was told it could be done.

can anyone else help?

Collapse -
Research ICS and here's a starter article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: still ned help
Collapse -
Some guidance
by primemover1 / February 21, 2008 5:44 AM PST

It would help to learn the model number of the Linksys Wireless Router you have -- maybe that model has an ethernet bridge mode. Also, please confirm that you can connect to MetroFi with your existing Mac.

Generally, what is needed to connect a wireless network to your home network is an Ethernet Bridge

MetroFi wireless cloud <-wireless-> Wireless Ethernet Bridge <-ethernet-> home LAN router with Ethernet ports and/or wireless WANport

If the home LAN router has both both wireless capability and ethernet LAN ports, you can connect to that router with _either_ wireless _or_ ethernet cable on both* your PS3 and your Mac.

*Wireless LAN connections assumes that your PS3 and Mac have wireless capability built in (or added as an option.)

One _example_ of a wireless ethernet bridge is Buffalo Technology AirStation Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter (WLI-TX4-G54HP)

But for the same cost, I would just buy the Ruckus Wireless solution that MetroFi features. Ruckus MM2211

Collapse -
I get MetroFi in Portland, too.
by trlamb / February 22, 2008 7:42 AM PST

I went to Fry?s in Wilsonville for an external antenna that had been advertised in a MetroFi Internet ad several months ago. A helpful clerk convinced me to buy a different external antenna and two 15-foot booster cables. I plugged the booster cable from the antenna into my laptop?s USB port. I disabled my laptop?s internal modem so I could use the IEEE wireless USB utility. Now, I open the double-pane window and set the antenna outside to receive a strong signal (85-95%) inside my apartment. I leave the window open just enough for the cable, and I can have the laptop on a desk across the room. Not very wireless, but it is free. Otherwise, I have to sit outside on my balcony to get MetroFi.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.