Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

Can I play 1080p (PS3) resolution games on my 1080i TV?

by indymike / February 20, 2007 3:31 AM PST

I have just figured out that I can use the A/V port out of my newly acquired PS3 and get reasonably good results with regards to an quality picture. I know that the HDMI would be the best source but I have a giant (older generation) Mitusubishi TV that has no HDMI input.

My Question: Can I play PS3 games that have a resolution rating of 1080p on my Mitsu TV that only plays up to 1080i? I have looked everywhere for info on the PS3 showing me that you have the ability to select the output signal to your TV but cannot find anything. (keep in mind while reading this that I have not taken the PS3 out of the box yet)

I would assume that I can on the PS3(?) Can anyone anyone verifiy this?

Also on Blu Ray Movies that play 1080p. Can I set the menu on the PS3 to transmit a 1080i signal to my TV?

Thanks! Mike England

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I play 1080p (PS3) resolution games on my 1080i TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I play 1080p (PS3) resolution games on my 1080i TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more questiong and folow up to my post
by indymike / February 20, 2007 3:41 AM PST

OK:

I am replying to my own post.

After a little more research it appears that not all PS3 games have the same resolution. for intstance..Dark Kingdon has a 720p and Ultimate alliance has a 1080p. So I would assume that I cannot play the kingdom game (since my TV doesn't understand 720p) but could play the Alliance game provided that I set the menu on the PS3 to tell my TV to play and accept the 1080i signal(?) Does that sound right?

Collapse -
probably not
by bevillan / February 20, 2007 4:54 AM PST

Sony neglected to include a scalar chip in their PS3 that allows HDTVs like yours to play the games in 1080i. Basically what happens is that if the TV cannot display at 720p or 1080p, all content is downconverted to 480p no matter what. There might be a firmware update for the videocard to fix this, but I'm still surprised that Sony let something like that slip from its testing procedures.

Collapse -
1080p to 1080i Scaling Issues..
by JayC1883 / February 20, 2007 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: probably not

If you're TV is not 1080p capable but it is 1080i capable, all 1080p content is scaled to 1080i.The only area where there are issues are games that are only 720p compliant. If your tv is not able to display a 720p picture than the game will downgrade to 480p. I hope this helps.
For exmaple, Blu-ray discs which are meant to be shown in 1080p are scaled down to 1080i. If you attempt to display the movie in 720p the PS3 will downgrade it to 480p. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Still confused?
by indymike / February 20, 2007 9:27 PM PST

Jay C:

Thanks for you reply!
I hope your answer is correct. I am still confused though because you sound like you know what you are talking about but so does the other guy that replied to my post too.
It almost sounds as if your answers somewhat contradict each other. Take a look....what so you think?
Thanks! Mike England

Collapse -
Still confused II
by indymike / February 20, 2007 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: probably not

Bear:

Thanks for you reply!
I hope your answer is correct. I am still confused though because you sound like you know what you are talking about but so does the other guy that replied to my post too.
It almost sounds as if your answers somewhat contradict each other. Take a look....what do you think?
Thanks! Mike England

Collapse -
correction
by bevillan / February 21, 2007 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Still confused II

The other guy is right that 1080p content is displayed in 1080i, but I am still right that 720p content (most PS3 games) will only be able to be viewed in 480p due to the lack of a scalar chip.

Collapse -
Bear is incorrect..
by dsaumkc / February 22, 2007 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: correction

Just an FYI..

Bear is incorrect in his thinking that you need a scaler chip to view 720p games, and without it you will only see PS3 games in 480p.. thats B.S..

The video setup function on the PS3 allows for MAXIMUM resolution of all games to be allowed, depending on the max res of each game. SONY has done the scaling with SOFTWARE.. not a chip, like he thinks.. As of Firmware 1.5, that issue has been resolved.

Collapse -
Resolution Options...
by tnmtlm / February 21, 2007 9:18 PM PST

Mike,

I recently performed the initial set-up of my PS3 on my Toshiba HD projection TV circa 2002 (so 1080p wasn't even offered then). The PS3 allows you to check blocks that tell it what resolution formats your TV can handle. So I checked everything but 1080p. So far, no problems...but then again I haven't had a native 1080p data source to test yet.

Hope this helps.
Todd

Collapse -
Re: Bear Wait.. We are both right
by JayC1883 / February 22, 2007 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Resolution Options...

We both concur theat 1080p games are displayed in 1080i if your TV set cannot handle a 1080p picture correct? We also agree that games that can only be displayed in 720p are automatically downgraded to 480i if you own an older HD set that only displays 1080i. As to the 1.51 firmware upgrade, it basically fixes the aliasing problems for older PS2 games that did not support pro scan. (which is the majortity of there games) It also gave the option (I believe this is only for HDMI connections) to disply BD movies in the highest available resolution automatically.

John

Collapse -
Summary
by indymike / February 23, 2007 7:59 AM PST

WOW! You guys have all been a big help! I appreciate all of your meaningful input.

I think I have it now:

My PS3 system will "scale down" so to speak to the max level of resolution that my TV will allow. i.e. If I were trying to play a 1080p PS3 game it will scale down (or I can tell it to scale down) to the max level that my TV will play. In this case down to 1080i. If it were a 780p game it would scale down to a 480p since my older Mitsu 73 inch does not allow or play 780p.

Sweet! Now I am off to Fry's to buy that Monster Component video cable with the audio optical wire. Should be a good fit for my TV!
Thans again to all of you! Mike England

Collapse -
Um... I dunno why you're saying sweet
by bkchurch / February 24, 2007 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Summary

Most games that come out on the PS3 are going to be 720p, there will definately be alot of 1080p content but alot of developers don't wanna put the effort and system resources into 1080p (example: Itagaki San of Team Ninja says Ninja Gaiden Sigma will be 720p) so if these guys are right all those 720p games will be in 480p which is pretty much SD thats scanned progressively instead of interlaced. Personally I hope the guy who said you can display 720p games in 1080i is right because the TV I want to get (Sony XBR970) upscales all 720p content to 1080i but if the PS3 is gonna downscale it to 480p then it's pretty worthless to spend a grand on a new TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.