Mac OS forum

General discussion

Can I open a finished iWeb website on a windows computer ??

by tapasdesai / September 13, 2010 10:11 PM PDT

I dont want to publish a website, just transfer its folder onto a thumb drive and use it as an interactive presentation

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I open a finished iWeb website on a windows computer ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I open a finished iWeb website on a windows computer ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might work,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 14, 2010 4:34 AM PDT

and it is worth a try.

I somehow doubt it would work as a presentation but it may work as the "real" website would, with a browser

Collapse -
ok so i transfer the website file to a pc...
by tapasdesai / September 14, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

then what ??
Do i open the first page in the explorer ?? how does it work. because im kinda working on a tight deadline and things have to work...

appreciate the help Happy

Collapse -
Re: website in Windows
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2010 6:17 AM PDT

Well, you put the whole folder structure you download in some folder and doubleclick from Windows Explorer on the index.htm or index.html file. That opens in the default browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox mostly, depending on the settings) and there you go.

Collapse -
As I said,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 14, 2010 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: website in Windows

just like it was the real, up there on the internet, website.
All the files are exactly the same on your computer as they are up at your web hosting site.

Collapse -
where does iWeb save my site on the hdd
by tapasdesai / September 21, 2010 6:15 AM PDT

i want to copy the folder to another computer (windows pc) to show my work Happy

also, is it recommended that i use safari or mozilla on the windows pc so there are no compatibility issues ? i haave heard that internet explorer maynot show the site like i made it on my mac...

Collapse -
Re: site
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2010 6:24 AM PDT

If IE doesn't show it as you made it, that would be the case for 70% of the whole world, because 70% of the people is using IE. That's not dependent on where that site is located, somewhere at the internet or on the hard disk of the PC.

I don't know where iWeb saves it. Assuming you can built the program to build different sites, you should have specified a folder for it when you started if. If not, use finder to search a file called index.htm or index.html. That's the start page of the site, by default.

Collapse -
(NT) gotcha, thanks
by tapasdesai / September 14, 2010 11:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) is there a non video tutorial or book for using iWeb ?
by tapasdesai / September 20, 2010 6:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Something like this perhaps?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 20, 2010 9:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
how do i upload the website by iWeb using ftp ??
by tapasdesai / December 3, 2010 2:47 PM PST

i want to upload my website onto

heliohost let me set up an ftp account, and at the end i was given this info

FTP Username:
FTP Server:
FTP Server Port:
SFTP Server Port

i dont know the right path to upload the website.

i tried all the paths i was told i could use in the "getting started" thingy

but iWeb "diectory/path could not be found"

if anyone has worked with heliohost, please help out

Collapse -
Use iWeb
by harleydude0524 / March 30, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

Use iWeb to upload your files. Set up your connection the account page in iWeb. Make sure you have created the directory on your ftp site and given it read write permission (665). The directory you would setup in iWeb would be something like /myiWebSite/. The first slash sends the ftp to the root of YOUR root directory. Even if you see "/var/http/html/myiWebSite as your directory, chances are you can not go into /var/http your root directory for web hosting is where you start. I hope this makes sense. Please keep in mind that iWeb is not search engine friendly, it will create an index.html page that redirects to your website that you have created in iWeb. If you need meta tags (which you do), copy the index.html file on your ftp site to index.backup and add all your meta data. When you are done copy (not move) it over the original index.html you will have to copy this index.backup each time you update your site. I hope future version of iWeb are not so toy like and support meta data. (sorry if some of this is confusing as I am at home with a fever)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.