Mac OS forum

General discussion

Can I open a .DOT file with iWork?

by sup909 / January 3, 2007 5:59 AM PST

I have a .DOT word template that was sent to me and I cannot figure out how to open it. I would hate to go download OO just for this one file. Is there any way to open it in iWork?

I tried textedit, but it seems most of the template did not show up.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I open a .DOT file with iWork?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I open a .DOT file with iWork?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try NeoOffice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2007 6:36 AM PST
Collapse -
dot Doc
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 3, 2007 9:05 AM PST

I just created a template in Word and saved it. Pages, which is a part of iWork, refuses to open it as it stands. Dragging it onto an open Pages document results in an error.

I couldn't find anything in the help file that pointed me in the right direction.

P

Collapse -
OO.org
by benanzo / January 6, 2007 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: dot Doc

let me get this right...

You create a file in a proprietary format by a program whose creators have never and will never have any interest in helping you get your work done in ANYTHING but their program, and then you want to move your work to another application (which has the SAME policy) and then you say "I'd *hate* to have to get OpenOffice just to save this one file..."

OpenOffice along with other free programs are the ONLY ones interested in helping you succeed at ANYTHING that you do. Yet, even though it could easily save your butt on this one, you still snub it as not worth your time.

This is the problem with being force-fed spoon-fed by commercial software mafias for years, it has RUINED good common sense.

Collapse -
You didn't get it right...
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 6, 2007 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: OO.org

Actually I never mentioned OpenOffice and certainly did not say "I'd *hate* to have to get OpenOffice just to save this one file..."

The original question must be read first, before passing judgement on one of the answers.

"I have a .DOT word template that was sent to me and I cannot figure out how to open it. I would hate to go download OO just for this one file. Is there any way to open it in iWork?
I tried textedit, but it seems most of the template did not show up."

What better way to find out if it can be done, than to try it? Many apps will open documents created in the oppositions "proprietary" formats and many apps will save documents in those same "proprietary" formats. In this case, Pages could not but I have since found that an old version of AppleWorks could.

It would be nice that in the future, before you go off on a rant, you make sure you are replying to the correct post. It would make a huge difference in how readers judge the credibility of your posts.

Thank you

P

Collapse -
sorry about that
by benanzo / January 7, 2007 3:42 AM PST

I did indeed reply to the wrong post and stated the case poorly.

I meant to rant on about the original poster having received a file in a proprietary format which was created by a company who has never and will never have any interest in letting their users take their documents and go away to another application (which in this case, iWork, has the same policy.) It was then stated that the person who received the non-interoperable format didn't want to have to get OpenOffice (the only app that has any interest in actually helping you succeed on any platform, in any other application) for just this one file, and therefore snubbing it as not worth their time.

Quote: "This is the problem with being force-fed spoon-fed by commercial software mafias for years and years, it has RUINED good common sense.

Collapse -
Ok,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 7, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: sorry about that

Thought it might have been something like that

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.