E-readers forum


Can I 'move' a US Kindle to Australia?

by calico2607 / May 22, 2012 1:13 AM PDT

I want to purchase a Kindle Touch here in the US but will be moving back to Australia permanently in a year. I've read that the purchase of books is related to the place you originally registered the Kindle, so it sounds like I will need to change the registration in order to purchase in Australia on an Australian credit card. Can I do this and how? Are there any other issues I need to be aware of before purchase? The Kindle seems the best supported eReader in Australia but any comments welcome.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I 'move' a US Kindle to Australia?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I 'move' a US Kindle to Australia?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What a mess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 1:54 AM PDT

As you know, "rights" are per country and as folk move around they bump into this issue. And to top it off we never discuss getting around laws in any country (well, we try not to.)

I suggest you buy it in the country you plan to be in.

Collapse -
Call Amazon
by tommyseth / May 24, 2012 10:39 AM PDT

The best thing to do is to contact Amazon directly. For me, that would be the most convenient and wisest thing to do. Plus if you encounter problems in the future even if you followed their advice, you can always contact them back and be confident that the problem wasn't your fault.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions


Big screens for the big game

Still looking for the best TV deals ahead of Sunday's game? Here are our top three big screen picks.