PC Hardware forum

General discussion

can I install dual graphics cards in a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 ?

by kman422 / February 2, 2010 7:33 PM PST

I currently hav installed the stock NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (512MB memory) and I am wondering if i can install a second card, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (128MB memory). The motherboard supports 2 PCIe slots, one x16 (currently used) and the other x4. Can anyone help me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can I install dual graphics cards in a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can I install dual graphics cards in a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go ahead....
by Willy / February 2, 2010 11:44 PM PST

Install them.

Understand the OS itself allows the acceptance and the Nvidia s/w will provide the latitude you need. You will also need to be sure your PSU is capable of a stable output for both. However, don't overdrive these video cards as they are a mismatch and of different levels other than basic or non-upper level of video. Its best to have very similar video cards and of make for best performance. But, there is nothing for now to stop the above.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What is it you're trying to accomplish with dual
by VAPCMD / February 3, 2010 10:28 AM PST

graphic cards ....

Collapse -
never mind
by kman422 / February 3, 2010 11:44 AM PST

Im running dual screens and i thought it might help with that and also (possibly?) better for games but when i tried to install it i found it didnt fit in the slot for never mind, thanks for the suggestions though

Collapse -
I know that technically...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: never mind

I know that technically you can run either an NVidia or ATI card in the PCI-E slot of any motherboard; however to run in SLI mode, you need a motherboard that supports SLI, this one doesn't.

"Multi-display support with ATI CrossFireX
P55M-UD2 supporting ATI CrossFireX delivers the ultimate in graphics performance for gaming enthusiasts who demand the highest frame rates without compromising on resolution"

And to run in either SLI or Crossfire you will need to have a matching pair of video cards (ie: 2x NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT or 2x ATI Radeon HD5870)

Collapse -
Is possible...
by JimmyJump / January 17, 2011 8:22 AM PST

Almost a year old, but still wanted to respond...

The UD2 board doesn't support SLI, but it is possible to run two cards, one for main purposes and the other for NVidia PhysX...

In your case however, you're trying to use a dual monitor set-up, for which you don't need a second card, simply hook two monitors to the 9400 card and set up the dual monitors in the NVidia panel.

The board supports ATI Crossfire, so there's other possibilities there.

@Brechan, no need for matching cards: they only need to be from the same generation, i.e. two 58XX will work (like a 5870 with a 5830) but at the speed of the slowest card...

JJ

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.