TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Can I hook an external hard drive to my TV and watch movies?

by srbarr52 / December 20, 2006 12:17 PM PST

I would like to find out if there is a way to hook an external hard drive to my TV and watch my recorded movies. Sort of like a juke box. I would like to have all my DVD movies and Home movies on a hard drive, pick the movie to watch and then it would play. Or can I hook it up to my TIVO, send and receive information to a hard drive. I do have a TIVO with a dvd burner.
Thanks srbarr52

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I hook an external hard drive to my TV and watch movies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I hook an external hard drive to my TV and watch movies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Such devices ...
by Kees Bakker / December 20, 2006 4:02 PM PST

are called a 'Windows XP Media Edition computer' or possibly a 'hard disk recorder' (like a Tivo), I'm afraid. I know of no TV's that have the software built in to directly handle a hard disk themselves.

Kees

Collapse -
Iomega ScreenPlay
by Lasareath / December 25, 2006 4:28 PM PST
Collapse -
zioncom
by Lasareath / December 25, 2006 4:40 PM PST

Now we need to find somebody who sells these in the United States, I don't want to buy one with a 160GB hard drive, I just need the empty unit.

If anybody finds a seller, please list URL here.

Thanks,

Lasareath

http://www.zioncom.net/products.htm

Collapse -
Mediagate MG-35 Media Center Divx MPEG 4 DVD VCD USB 2
by Lasareath / December 25, 2006 5:43 PM PST
Collapse -
so can you...
by hyghwayman / December 25, 2006 9:48 PM PST

tell us all how it is working and what the pros and cons you have found w/ this player.

Thanks,
hyghwayman

Collapse -
so can you...
by Lasareath / December 26, 2006 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: so can you...

No Problem, I should have it sometime next week. I will report back when I get it and put it through it's paces. If it works well, I might buy a second one. That way I can lend one out to friends and family.

Lasareath

Collapse -
I got the MediaGate MG-35
by Lasareath / January 2, 2007 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: so can you...

Hello All,

I got the MediaGate MG-35, it works awesome, I have not tried the network part but the rest is great!.

One note: your hard drive must be set to cable select not to Master.

I love it so much I may buy another one right now Wink

Lasareath

Collapse -
Records?
by PrahaB / January 4, 2007 3:26 PM PST

I've been tracking this conversation, and I've a question Lasareath, are you able to record video from your TV onto the MediaGate? I'm seriously considering getting the product and I really think if it records its more or less guaranteed that I'll be getting it. Thank Lasareath.

Collapse -
Recording?
by Lasareath / January 4, 2007 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: Records?

I don't have an answer for you, I had it about an hour and leant it out to my Aunt, My main reason to buy it was so that I dont have to burn DVD's of shows I watch for my Aunt and my Mom since they are into the same tv shows that I am into.

But, I will be getting it back this weekend and when I do, I will see if I can and I will report back with my findings.

Lasareath

Collapse -
Can you add another hard drive. External of internal?
by srbarr52 / January 6, 2007 5:54 AM PST

Can you add a drive yourself to the Mediagate MG-35. Or do you have to order it with a larger drive. Also do you know if it will support an external drive. I have a 320gb "book". Thanks for all the input. srbarr52

Collapse -
HD Connection
by ahoelscher / February 8, 2008 2:46 AM PST

Is the connection for the HD SATA or IDE?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.