Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Can I have Word 2003 and 2007 on the same laptop?

by amelia jade / December 20, 2008 2:19 PM PST

I just bought a laptop with Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business. Right now, I need to use Word 2003. I have the Microsoft Office 2003 CD from my Desktop PC. Can I install only Word 2003 from the CD or does it require you to install all of the products; Outlook, Excel, etc.?

If I can install Word 2003 only, will the install have a problem with Word 2007 being on the laptop? What other things and concerns do I need to be aware of?

Thank you!

Amelia

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I have Word 2003 and 2007 on the same laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I have Word 2003 and 2007 on the same laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Office 2003
by Kees Bakker / December 20, 2008 8:43 PM PST

Generally, MS Office is rather good in having multiple versions on the same machine. So it might very well work.

Office 2003 certainly allows you to install only one product. But as the product key is activated on your desktop, it might refuse activation on the laptop without you buying a new license. That depends, of course, on the license you have. As far as I know, Home and Student edition allows for three installs. But we don't know what version you have, and what is possible and allowed with it.

If it doesn't work satisfactorily, you can try to uninstall Word 2007 from the Office 2007 CD, then reinstall Word 2003 for the Office 2003 CD. It's not 100% to work, but I'd give it a 99% chance.

The one thing not clear in your post: "I need to use Word 2003". Why can't you use Word 2007? Or OpenOffice 3.0?

Kees

Collapse -
Using Word 2003 Vs Word 2007
by amelia jade / December 21, 2008 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Office 2003

Hi Kees,
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll try to install Word 2003 itself on the laptop and see if 2007 has a problem. I do have the 3 installs, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I checked if I can uninstall Word 2007 separately from my laptop (Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs). Unfortunately, it only lets you select the entire Office 2007 package. I disagree with that, but that was Microsoft's decision, not mine.

I have many existing Word 2003 documents that I need to work with for a customer for the next 1+ years. That's why I need 2003, rather than 2007.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,
amelia

Collapse -
Re: Office 2003 and 2007
by Kees Bakker / December 22, 2008 1:25 AM PST

Office 2007 is fully compatible with Office 2003. It can open those .doc files and it can Save As .doc also. Generally, the results are quite good. So probably there is no need for a separate install.

It's new to me that the setup of Office 2007 doesn't allow you to install only one program of the suite. All earlier versions do.

Kees

Collapse -
Uninstall of Word 2007
by amelia jade / December 25, 2008 3:24 AM PST

It's not the setup of Office 2007 that won't let you install only 1 program. It's when you uninstall Office 2007 (Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs). There is no selection for each individual product, such as Word 2007 or Excel 2007. You can only select Office 2007.

Collapse -
All older versions of Office ...
by Kees Bakker / December 25, 2008 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall of Word 2007

when running setup.exe from the CD let you choose what items to install and uninstall. You could even use that feature to add or delete individual features like a WordPerfect graphic filter. So you ran the setup, unchecked Word and pressed OK. The result was that Word was ininstalled and all other programs remained as they were.

Worth a try for Office 2007, I'd say.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.