Samsung forum

Alert

Can I get my money back from Samsung?

by WantMyMoneyBack / March 17, 2013 3:44 AM PDT

My less than 6 mo. old "Smart" LED TV (UN46ES8000FXZA) simply died. You can hear its power-to-display relay click on and off every several seconds. No picture at all. This is my first non-Sony in decades: ALL of which were flawless. I should have bought the Sony ....

Samsung customer service is total failure (providing no assistance whatsoever), be it by phone, e-mail, and as a cautionary tale: Anyone who uses their "chat" is just committing temporal suicide. Their call and chat centers have the most ignorant and incompetent people I've dealt with (as an IT Director, I deal with like call centers regularly).

I sincerely find it difficult to believe that this problem is the capacitor issue that Samsung was litigated against. NO - this is not a power issue to the TV.

MY QUESTION: How do I get my money back for this lemon? I know perfectly well that the incompetent service monkeys will either radically shorten the unit's life (assuming they don't kill it ...) simply by opening it up.

All I want is for Samsung to come get this giant, expensive paperweight out of my house, write me a pro-rated-for-my-use check, and I'll never bother with any Samsung products again.

Or, do I have to gather up an army of attorneys to make this happen? I really don't want the unit in my house at this point.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I get my money back from Samsung?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I get my money back from Samsung?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can I get my money back from Samsung?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2013 1:04 AM PDT

Hi WantMyMoneyBack,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
"Transaction Number"?
by WantMyMoneyBack / March 18, 2013 5:52 AM PDT

Do you mean the number(s) from the chat, or a number for the customer service call, or?

Chat ID: LTK56402771470X. From the call in to 800-726-7864, Service order number: 4118469909.

I'd appreciate the sentiment of an apology, if I felt it were in any way sincere. Based on other TV failure threads here and elsewhere, lawsuits thereof, etc., there seems to be little resolution to anything you engage in - nothing but frustrated customers, who also wasted huge sums of money and their time on Samsung products that have serious design flaws.

Here is what I want at this point:

- Your direct phone number so I can arrange to have someone from Samsung to come pick this TV up and take it away - FOREVER. It is nothing but a large clicking paperweight at this point.

- My money back: I am willing to negotiate pro-rating this for the time I used it.

Here is what I DO NOT want:

- To waste any more of my time with this product.

- To have this unit "repaired", because as soon as someone opens it, its life will be shortened substantially due to hasty, uncaring, under-trained (and not trained at all by Samsung) people forced to perform substandard work because their performance criteria isn't based on long term customer satisfaction, but on how quickly they turn out repairs. I am also confident the "no-touch" display will be damaged by the mere act of transport to any service center - which will simply result in further dissatisfaction.

- To receive a "refurbished" unit in exchange for this one.

Please send me your direct phone number and e-mail address, so that we can make arrangement for pick-up and refund. As a reminder: Under California state code, manufacturers are responsible for warranty coverage - not vendors. California appliance codes are inclusive of televisions, when for home use.

Collapse -
Re: Thanks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2013 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: "Transaction Number"?

Hi WantMyMoneyBack,

Thanks for the transaction number. It allowed me to look up your information. I attempted to call you a few moments ago. I didn't see an email address on file for you, so if you would like to message me, please click here: http://www.cnet.com/profile/Samsung_HD_Tech/

And then click the email button in the upper right corner.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
PM Sent
by WantMyMoneyBack / March 18, 2013 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thanks

I have no phone message from you. Regardless, as you request, a PM was sent with the e-mail address used to register here (which should reveal in the PM), as well as a registrant on the Samsung site (where I was not allowed to either send e-mail or make a service request.

Before anyone gets all cute: Facebook and Twitter are no way for people to communicate reasonably. Because you are "hip" to using social media, doesn't make that an acceptable solution for all customers, particularly to conclude business matters - which this is.

Look forward to hearing from you, but frankly, will continue to use this well-moderated and open forum to address this.

Collapse -
Again, no support.
by WantMyMoneyBack / March 19, 2013 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: PM Sent
To any Samsung customer who may see this:

The person(s) you deal with, who claim to represent Samsung on this forum, are not only unable to assist you in any way, but make allusions to one thing or another, which they are not enabled to actually provide, or deliver upon.

Also, I do not know if they are actual Samsung employees, and suspect that they are not (farmed out).

The person that requested I PM them ("Robert R." - clearly a move to take the exchange offline), responded with the following:

Thanks for messaging me. I did call you
yesterday, but I didn't leave a message because there would have been no
way for you to give me a call back: I have a phone line to dial out on,
but I don't have an extension to dial into.

Regarding the repair on your TV that you want
to convert directly into a refund, I'm sorry but that's not going to be
possible for me to do. I realize this will upset you, but the company
policy on this is very specific: we try to repair
an electronics issue, and if the service technician determines that
it's not repairable, we have alternative accommodations.

To which I replied:

Robert,

You seriously don't have a phone? Doesn't Samsung manufacture phones -
and don't they give you one? I would contend here that you are avoiding
what will be a difficult and uncomfortable conversation; as in, didn't
call.

Refund: I stated that I am willing to accept a pro-rated refund. Do we have to get lawyers involved?

Repair is not an option: Please have a Samsung representative come and
take this product away TODAY - I do not want it any longer in my house,
and I do not want it returned. It is flawed by design; based on the
multitudes of accounts of others with identical
issues, no amount of repair or part replacement could solve what ails
the product. I cannot afford this amount of time to get these issues
resolved every 6 months.

Before I contact American Express and my attorney in attempt to get
immediate closure on this, what are the "alternative accommodations",
and are you empowered to exercise these?

Robert's response:

I don't have the authority to offer anything else. However, I'll have someone
get back with you tomorrow morning to attempt to resolve this for you.

Which I sincerely doubt will occur, given the other claims and promises of being contacted.
Collapse -
Re: Response
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 19, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Again, no support.

Jim,

Per the email that you chose to post, you can read that alternative accommodations are only available if Samsung's service technician cannot complete a repair because he or she deems the device not repairable. Since you are continuing to refuse repair, there's nothing I can do for you. So I've passed you along to the appropriate person who will be contacting you today.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung will do nohting but waste your time and money.
by WantMyMoneyBack / March 20, 2013 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Response

Robert here, a tiny cog in a giant profit turning wheel, confirms my claims that he can do nothing for customers.

Today's lesson in dealing with the highfalutin group labeled "Executive Customer Relations Department", is that they will do nothing for you also - only willing to engage in calling a 3rd party service provider.

Folks: The Samsung warranty is only for one year, and ONLY on parts and labor for repair. You will not be compensated (or warranty extended) for the non-use period of the defective product, nor you time to chase them or their 3rd party service provider who execute repairs. I note this, in that you WILL have down time with their products.

While I haven't heard from the 3rd party service provider, according to Samsung, someone has already ordered parts. No diagnosis, nada. When I asked which parts, they were unable to answer that. All of which tells me, that the service provider sees a lot of the identical problems over and over and over ... There are only 4 or 5 subsystem modules in any modern TV. Discrete component diagnosis and/or replacement is no longer performed, nor are "technicians" capable of this.

Regardless, for anyone who keeps a TV longer than a year, I am trying to determine what parts are needed every few months (estimated 4 to 6), their cost, and from this, determine if the maintenance costs are such whether I wouldn't be better off (financially) just shipping the entire thing back to US HQ in N.J., and telling them to keep it - since they won't come pick it up.

Why such chronically problematic products aren't recalled, I have no idea ... How it is generally well-informed people aren't aware of widespread Samsung TV defects and their deplorable customer service.

The problems with the likes of Consumer Reports, and other "reviewers", is that they don't live the products they review for more than few hours, or at most, a few days. On the rare occasion they do deal with customer service, I can assure you they get preferential treatment - and not from the likes of corporate CYA trolls like "Robert".

Collapse -
11 days have passed ...
by WantMyMoneyBack / March 28, 2013 9:30 AM PDT

... since I first called, and I still have nothing but a run around by Samsung.

Samsung keeps telling me about a mysterious service provider, who supposedly claims they have made appointments with me (but haven't); who has supposedly had repair parts in-hand for a week (who performed no diagnosis, and has yet to contact us) - and sll I have to show for it is a lot of lost time still a broken monolith collecting dust in my house.

So I called again today, which after 2+ hours on the phone with Samsung, learned that this mystery 3rd party service provider decided yesterday to cancel the service request. Without talking to me, or Samsung, or anyone else. Apparently, they can do that.

Yes, this just gets more stupid with time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.