Audio & Video Software

Question

Can I Download a Youtube Video?

by pcrayon78 / February 5, 2013 7:19 AM PST

There is a video on YouTube that I woud like to download and would like to know if this is possible? I plan on using contents of the video as part of my legal defense to get a rental security deposit back from a sleazy rental company.

I did not create or upload the video (it is a walkthrough of the apt posted by the previous tenant). I'm afraid if I do not have the video downloaded or available on my HD that it could be taken down and I would not have access to it for my upcoming case. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I Download a Youtube Video?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I Download a Youtube Video?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good question. May be a legal mess. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 7:24 AM PST

Here's what the YouTube agreement writes:
http://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms writes "You shall not download any Content unless you see a "download" or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content."

What a mess. If you used such in court your adversary could have this tossed out because you violated your YouTube agreement.

So be sure you get those written consent or all that work may vanish if you were using my legal eagle.
Bob

Collapse -
????
by Hill9 / April 2, 2013 3:45 PM PDT

I never read this agreement before, But download videos. Am I doing something which is illegal?

Collapse -
I am not a lawyer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: ????

But reading that, I think in the context of what the member above was going to do would have resulted in all their hard work being tossed out.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Of course you can - with permission
by GBVishJourno / February 13, 2013 1:44 AM PST

Real Player has a download video button inbuilt into it which allows you to download videos directly from youtube, and there is also a free service called youtube downloader which allows you to download videos after pasting the URL of said video in the link.

I have faced similar issues to you - though not to do with a sleazy rental company - and it is best that you send said person an email, personal message, or just write a comment on the owner's channel.

Tell him exactly what it is for, why you need it (if they aren't the same), what part of the video you need and also mention the people who will want to see it. Because if it is for a court case which is reported in the paper, then it will obviously be public since people will be reading about it.

Even if they do read about it, however, it is highly unlikely that they will mention the owner's name in public.

But whatever the outcome may be, go ahead and ask the owner if you can use the video. Good luck!

You could also take a look at this to see if it helps you:

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html

Collapse -
Its very Simple
by garymoore321 / February 26, 2013 11:13 PM PST

Downloading video from youtube is very easy. One of the best method is open your youtube desired video and copy the URL of the video file and past it in Keepvid.com(This site contains separate download box for URL). Keepvid is best site to download videos but java enable is must and should in pc.

Collapse -
It's not simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Its very Simple

Let's say they get the video and go to court. Any good opposing lawyer could have this dismissed as the item was obtained without proper authority. Read that Youtube agreement.

I'm sure you mean well, but wells can be pretty deep.
Bob

Collapse -
Really
by garymoore321 / March 4, 2013 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: It's not simple.

oh really....very very tank you for sharing valuable information with me. but i have downloaded so many videos from youtube and downloading now also. I did not get any problem on this issue.

Collapse -
Did you notice who hosts this forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Really

It's a media company. The forum rules are good and tight about this.

I hope your opposition doesn't use the YouTube agreement to have your content dismissed. You may get lucky but in the circles I run, my friends know this and will use it to their advantage.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Suggetion
by debijg / March 15, 2013 5:20 PM PDT

Yes you can download YOUTUBE videos easily you just need a supportive player who support the video downloading real player is one of the best player who support to download the YOUTUBE videos directly.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by singhabhishek251 / June 7, 2013 4:26 PM PDT

You can download the YouTube video, whether you have uploaded or not. There is a software called YouTube down-loader for this purpose. Google it and you can find the download link there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.