Computer Newbies forum

Question

Can I delete Windows Media Player and reinstall it ?

by ikkaxi / May 21, 2011 2:44 AM PDT

I have a 2 yr. old Acer computer with Windows 7, which was upgraded from XP Professional recently. My Windows Media Player has so many incorrect headings, songs/videos that have been included in it, the "simplest" problem of which are duplicates, and many that will not play--I do not see any alternative route to take! Too many cooks at the stove, so to speak!
I do not have a disc to replace it once it is deleted. Can I just download it for free from the internet?
ikka

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I delete Windows Media Player and reinstall it ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I delete Windows Media Player and reinstall it ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sort Of...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 3:42 AM PDT

I'm not on a Windows 7 computer at the moment, but click on Control Panel-Programs and Features-Turn Windows Features on and off-, then expand the "Media Features", then UNCHECK the box next to Windows Media Player. (You may also choose to UNCHECK the "Windows Media Center" box as well.) Click on OK, then follow the prompts to say "Yes" when it asks you "Are you sure"", then continue on to remove Windows Media Player..

Recognized that this doesn't fully uninstall WMP, it just makes it go away, and you should be able to reinstall WMP 12 again by reversing the procedures above. Reinstalling WMP 12 and WMC on Win7 usually allows you to reset the settings player and its settings to something you like better.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Can I delete Windows Media Payer and reinstall it?
by ikkaxi / June 1, 2011 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Sort Of...

I would try to do this, if I knew for sure that I could reinstall WMP 12 and WMP.
Also, unfortunately, I have no idea how to reset the settings player and its settings. Being the Neanderthal on the computer that I am, I just want what it was set as originally.
Thanks so much for your suggestion though,
ikka

Collapse -
Answer
Re: WMP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 21, 2011 6:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
I started following the instructions to delete the library
by ikkaxi / May 31, 2011 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: WMP

When I started to disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service shown in the Services window, I got error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion and, Windows could not stop WMPNSS on a local computer. I do not understand what the problem is? I am dealing with my home computer--am I missing something?

Thank you so much for helping with this,
ikka

Collapse -
Re: service can't be stopped
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

Try it after booting in Safe Mode.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: service can't be stopped
by ikkaxi / June 1, 2011 8:29 AM PDT

Forgive me for being such a novice at this sort of thing---I booted in Safe Mode and opened Explorer to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsof\Media Player. I only found web sites, not deletable files?? Please, if you don't mind, explain in layman's terms, how I should proceed now, or where I went wrong.
Thank you so much,
ikka

Collapse -
Re: appdata
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 1, 2011 7:38 PM PDT

With me, that folder only contains data belonging to WMP. No websites. In fact, websites are located outside your PC.

The files the link says to delete are there. It might help to set Windows Explorer to detail view and uncheck the option to hide file extensions. Then you should see them.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by jamhelmcor / June 1, 2011 8:47 PM PDT

You can get it from microsoft website.

Collapse -
Re:deleting Windows Media Player
by ikkaxi / June 9, 2011 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Tk. you ALL for your terrific suggestions. I am now back on track!
ikka

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.