Desktops forum

General discussion

Can I create an XP recovery disk on my PC to use on another?

by elliehowe / July 2, 2005 11:29 PM PDT

Hi!

My mother (you may recall previous posts) finally hired a "come-to-your-house" tech to get her HP Presario/Windows XP computer to work right again. (Long story.) He finally took it to his shop to finish the work, and now says that Windows XP has "crashed" and he needs her recovery disk which she does not have. (No CDs came with it--just "hidden partition.") I've read here that she can order them from HP; but I'm wondering if I can make one on my PC (ours are exactly the same) to give to the tech to use on hers?

You people who answer questions from novices like me are absolutely terrific. I look forward once again to your recommendations and advice. Thanks!

Ellie Howe

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can I create an XP recovery disk on my PC to use on another?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can I create an XP recovery disk on my PC to use on another?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iffy!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2005 11:44 PM PDT

If you have no other choice, and all can be lost (we all backup the files we can't lose), then try it.

Many of us were surprised (and happy for them) when a similar iffy procedure was tried in the Newbies or Computer Help forum and even though it glitched, the user then flipped over the laptop and got the correct CDKEY input and got the machine fixed.

Again, if you are looking for someone to write it should work, it won't be me.

I know that some HPs made the owner create the CDs, but some owners didn't. I guess they didn't have the time or understand why it was needed.

Bob

Collapse -
Ellie

I agree with Robert, and I won't chastise you for not hammering Mom to made the DVD/CD she needed for restore because it takes up to an hour or more and she would have panicked before then. You need a set yourself, so may as well go for it. Be advised that while tehy say it may take up to 15 minutes, my new P4 3.06Intel HP took over an hour. After the first 30 minutes I knew it was toast but found a late night show on satellite and distracted myself. Good luck!

Collapse -
How do I make a recovery XP cd?
by elliehowe / July 3, 2005 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Ellie

Hi!

Thank you both for your quick replies. You're right; I should have one for myself, so I'll give it a try. (Yes, I back up fanatically! Learned my lesson years ago.)

I went to the HP SUPPORT section of my hard drive and could not find detailed instructions of exactly how to make the recovery CD or CDs. Can anyone tell me how to do it--or simply point me to a web site that will give me detailed instructions? I tried Microsoft's web site but could not find the instructions there either...

Thanks again!

Ellie

Collapse -
Ellie,
by Alan Copeland / July 3, 2005 2:56 AM PDT

START/RUN/ALL PROGARMS/PCHelp & Tools/ HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator Make the DVDs (mine required 2; yours may only require 1).

Then START/RUN/ALL PROGARMS/PCHelp & Tools/HP PC Recovery Tools CD.

You need the Recovery Tools CD to wipe the D: partition containing Restore information (I deleted mine) and to start the PC if it crashes so you can use the recovery DVD.

Send a set of both to your Mom.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Alan!
by elliehowe / July 3, 2005 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Ellie,

Hi, Alan!

You are a "peach!" Thanks so much!! I'll try it this evening. I'm expecting a houseful of people at 5 p.m. for a "farewell" party. My 21-year-old daughter Emily is leaving Tuesday with the Peace Corps for two years in Benin, in the western part of Africa.

I'll let you know how we make out... If I can ever return the favor...?!

Ellie

Collapse -
Ellie
by Alan Copeland / July 3, 2005 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Alan!

As Robert posted on another thread last month, just check in now and then and you are bound to find a question that you caan identify with. If you had posted the original problem with Mom's PC a week sooner than you did I would not have had a clue how to help you because I had just bought my HP.

Good luck to Emily in her travels.

Collapse -
Off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2005 6:46 AM PDT

That's a fine path someone chose. Congrats and more.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is the link to HP
by Alan Copeland / July 5, 2005 8:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
You're the best!
by elliehowe / July 5, 2005 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Here is the link to HP

Alan!

Thanks so much for finding this link and sending it to me! I had been searching all over the Microsoft web site with no luck; I hadn't thought to search HP.

I am printing all of it as we speak...and will let you know how I make out. It sounds pretty easy!

Thanks again!

Ellie

Collapse -
I am just sorry
by Alan Copeland / July 5, 2005 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: You're the best!

taht I couldn't find it sooner. I knew I had an email from HP, but I had put it in the wrong folder, and found it by accident tonight. Remember that this is HP information; Microsoft would not have a clue how to restore a PC. Best of luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.